Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Broken passenger side window before delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear. I would demand that they let me see the car and if in fact it is only a broken window, I would take delivery.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
That's a good point and also crossed my mind. I said in passing to my salesman that he probably didn't want me to see the vehicle with a broken window and he agreed. I kind of let it go. Normally they want a new car to make a good first impression and that would be hard to do with a missing window. I kind of understand that. Also, they probably had to clean it up after arriving and maybe the window problem stopped that process. Then again, maybe there was glass everywhere and it was a real mess. I guess I'll never know.
New cars sometimes come into port damage and it is fixed at port, sounds like yours was damage on the truck. I would be a bit concern about the window, there would be some residual glass in the door which might cause rattles later on and I do not like the fact that the dealer had to take apart a brand new door to replace the window, anytime you take apart a door, rattles can occur. Personally, I would wait a few weeks for the other car to coming in.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry if it is just a broken window with a couple of exceptions...
  1. Was there any other body damage? Anywhere on the car?
  2. VERY carefully check the seats. Glass and leather don't mix. If the window shattered in the car there is likely to be scratches on the seats. Also you WILL be finding glass in the car as the clean up is a total pain.
A couple of people already said it. If they won't let you see the car, walk away. There is no reason for that other than they are hiding something.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

As others mention, its a matter of how much you trust your dealer but I'd definitely want to see the car before agreeing to anything with them.

I purchased a car that had in-transit damage. I got to see it before they did anything and agreed to significant discount knowing that their body shop was top notch. I had no issues during owner ship.

In-transit damage happens frequently and dealers don't disclose. At least this one did. Can take a positive away on that part.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
There have been valid questions raised in the previous posts — but to me the question remains: Just how much do you trust your dealer? Do you already have an established relationship (purchased a previous car from them) or is this your first purchase there?

The fact that they “didn’t know the window was broken” before you got there raises some issues in my mind. I was at my dealership when my car was rolled off the delivery truck. The delivery team unzipped the white cover and did a quick, but thorough exam of the externals. I’m sure that a broken window would have raised an alarm at that point.

Just my two cents.
In their defense I was pretty adamant about the car not being used as a test vehicle. My salesperson said they would leave it wrapped up until it was close to the time to take delivery to make sure no one would use it that way. The date I was to take delivery kept changing. The day before I was to take delivery I told them I would stop by to get an estimate on my trade-in vehicle and I would like to see the car. They said no problem but when I actually arrived they said they had the bad news about the broken glass. I don't think they knew much before hand. By the way, this is my first Audi and it is a new dealer for me.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
New cars sometimes come into port damage and it is fixed at port, sounds like yours was damage on the truck. I would be a bit concern about the window, there would be some residual glass in the door which might cause rattles later on and I do not like the fact that the dealer had to take apart a brand new door to replace the window, anytime you take apart a door, rattles can occur. Personally, I would wait a few weeks for the other car to coming in.
You read my mind. Just before reading this I shot off an email to my salesperson saying that I decided I did not want to purchase that car (for some of the very same reasons you mentioned) but that I would be interested in the identical vehicle that was to arrive within the next few weeks. We will see how they respond.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

In their defense I was pretty adamant about the car not being used as a test vehicle. My salesperson said they would leave it wrapped up until it was close to the time to take delivery to make sure no one would use it that way. The date I was to take delivery kept changing. The day before I was to take delivery I told them I would stop by to get an estimate on my trade-in vehicle and I would like to see the car. They said no problem but when I actually arrived they said they had the bad news about the broken glass. I don't think they knew much before hand. By the way, this is my first Audi and it is a new dealer for me.
"My salesperson said they would leave it wrapped up until it was close to the time to take delivery to make sure no one would use it that way." Speaking to the delivery team at my dealer - they always unwrap the vehicle, even when it's delivered overnight and no is there to receive it, as soon as possible to note any and all delivery problem conditions as close to drop-off as possible.

I think I'd wait for the few weeks and take the second car. In the meanwhile, look at the dealers web site and capture the VIN of the vehicle that was to be yours. When the new vehicle comes in, compare that vehicles VIN with the vehicle that has the broken window, just to make sure no "games" have been played.

As others have posted -- there's just something not right about them not allowing you to even see your vehicle.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
"My salesperson said they would leave it wrapped up until it was close to the time to take delivery to make sure no one would use it that way." Speaking to the delivery team at my dealer - they always unwrap the vehicle, even when it's delivered overnight and no is there to receive it, as soon as possible to note any and all delivery problem conditions as close to drop-off as possible.

I think I'd wait for the few weeks and take the second car. In the meanwhile, look at the dealers web site and capture the VIN of the vehicle that was to be yours. When the new vehicle comes in, compare that vehicles VIN with the vehicle that has the broken window, just to make sure no "games" have been played.

As others have posted -- there's just something not right about them not allowing you to even see your vehicle.
I just heard back from my salesman and they agreed to give me the same deal on the identical vehicle that should arrive in a couple of weeks or less. It did have $400 of additional accessories on the sticker that they are throwing in at no additional charge for the trouble I've had. Thanks for the tip. I have noted the VIN of the vehicles just to be sure.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just heard back from my salesman and they agreed to give me the same deal on the identical vehicle that should arrive in a couple of weeks or less. It did have $400 of additional accessories on the sticker that they are throwing in at no additional charge for the trouble I've had. Thanks for the tip. I have noted the VIN of the vehicles just to be sure.
I hope those $400 accessories are the winter mats and cargo mat, those Audi winter mats are pretty nice, definitely worth the money.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

It happens. My 2013 M3's bumper was damaged during transport. The entire rear bumper had been repainted at VPC(at the port) and there was visible dirt(black spots) under the clear coat They'll fix it and it shouldn't be a problem. Just double check it's Audi glass.

Quick Reply: Broken passenger side window before delivery