Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Calibration for ACC & DAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calibration for ACC & DAP

After 17k miles, I'm going to replace my OEM Continental ContiSport Contact tires on my 2018 S5 Sportback with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3s. My car has the Adaptive Cruise Control system and also the Driver's Assistant Package and I'm wondering if I need to get the camera's calibrated after I replace the tires. I've spoken to 4 different Audi dealership and they've given me different answers. 2 of them said I have to get the cameras calibrated for $500, 1 of them said I don't have to get the cameras calibrated but need to get the wheels alignment done for $130, and the 4th dealership said that they won't know if I need to get the camera's calibrated until they look at the system. Wondering what you guys have done. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No, you absolutely do not need to do that if you’re simply changing tires.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

No you do not need to get Audi pre sense recalibrated. It will need to be recalibrated if you perform an alignment though, as you should if you have new tires.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
No you do not need to get Audi pre sense recalibrated. It will need to be recalibrated if you perform an alignment though, as you should if you have new tires.
Why would new tires have an effect on the alignment? I would think if it's just a maintenance issue, than it would be better based on the mileage.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Swapping tires does not require calibration of anything,
Swapping tires does also not require an alignment UNLESS the tires being replaced show signs of uneven wear unrelated to improper tire pressure.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Not correct. You don't need to do an alignment when you replace tires. You also don't need to recalibrate the sensors when you do a suspension alignment. If a dealer is telling you otherwise they just want your $.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
Why would new tires have an effect on the alignment? I would think if it's just a maintenance issue, than it would be better based on the mileage.
It's always good measure to have an alignment performed after a full tire replacement. This ensures maximum life of the new tread and keeps the wear even throughout the tire life with up to date tire rotations. A history of no tire rotations and/or alignment service and your tire warranty will not be honored. By the time you've replaced tires, it's usually time to get an alignment anyway to verify if all other suspension components are in spec.

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Not correct. You don't need to do an alignment when you replace tires. You also don't need to recalibrate the sensors when you do a suspension alignment. If a dealer is telling you otherwise they just want your $.
See response above. And that is incorrect. Adjustments to the rear axles, specifically the rear toe, will require a calibration of the Audi pre sense. This is not a calibration of the ultrasonic parking sensors, but the camera and hardware of Audi pre sense (blind spot radar, front radar (if equipped), windshield camera, etc.) which act as a cohesive safety unit. I do not have the service manual in front of me, but this is what Audi calls for. This is not because the dealer wants your $, it's because the manufacturer of your vehicle requires it.

YMMV. Can you get away without doing a calibration? Sure. If it starts acting up, the car's still in warranty right? They'll just do a calibration, but don't be shocked if any phantom Pre sense issues are resolved after it.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

My observation is, if a service is under warranty, dealer will tell you it's only needed if you experience issues or if the system throws a fault code.

If the service is out of pocket, they will tell you to get it done every year, every time you change your tires, every time it rains, every time your wife is pregnant...

Point is, no you don't need to have your cameras calibrated when replacing tires. The only time you need cameras calibrated is if your front bumpers have been replaced, your windshield have been replaced, or if when they do an alignment they adjusted the rear toe.