Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, perfect thank you again Bruce!!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 730 Likes on 508 Posts

Found some tweeters that should fit perfectly into the A pillars. Focal TWU 1.5. In fact they will work in several other locations too. It's also available as a two way system too called the Focal ISU 165, in case you want to use better drivers in the rear.
The Focal TWU 1.5 actually click into place on the dashboard tweeter plates too, that go into the dashboard for the non B&O cars.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The bass in the Cabriolet is better than the Sportback, so it could be worse!
Trust me it’s so damn weak! My B8.5 Cab B&O system pounded compared to this garbage!
Old 05-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Found some tweeters that should fit perfectly into the A pillars. Focal TWU 1.5. In fact they will work in several other locations too. It's also available as a two way system too called the Focal ISU 165, in case you want to use better drivers in the rear.
The Focal TWU 1.5 actually click into place on the dashboard tweeter plates too, that go into the dashboard for the non B&O cars.
That's great Bruce, I will put some on order.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Trust me it’s so damn weak! My B8.5 Cab B&O system pounded compared to this garbage!
Start a new thread, you might just be the first person to tackle the B9 convertible on this forum. I too am keen to see what sort of drivers are used in the Convertible.
The following users liked this post:
BMWdud-e (06-25-2023)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Hi Bruce, I want to run through my list to see if you feel like any adjustments are needed. Do you want to change the front door lower bass to the Focal ISU 165 driver to match the rear door or is the Aurum Cantus AC-165 the better choice for the front door driver.

So for a fresh updated list of what I have ordered for each location:
Front Center Dash Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Front Center Dash Tweeter: Focal TWU 1.5
Front LT & RT Lower A Pillar Locations: Focal TWU 1.5
Front Door LT & RT Lower Bass: Aurum Cantus AC-165/50C2C
Front Door LT & RT Upper Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Rear Door LT & RT Lower Bass: Focal ISU 165
Rear Door LT & RT Upper Tweeter: Focal ISU 165 (Focal TWU 1.5)
Rear LT & RT Effect D Pillar Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Sub Rear Hatch Stock Location: Stock B&O 6.5" Sub
Sub Rear Hatch RT Side Basser Box Location: JL Audio 10w1v3-2 with Kicker KEY500.1 Amp

Old 05-19-2020, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mortys66
Hi Bruce, I want to run through my list to see if you feel like any adjustments are needed. Do you want to change the front door lower bass to the Focal ISU 165 driver to match the rear door or is the Aurum Cantus AC-165 the better choice for the front door driver.

So for a fresh updated list of what I have ordered for each location:
Front Center Dash Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Front Center Dash Tweeter: Focal TWU 1.5
Front LT & RT Lower A Pillar Locations: Focal TWU 1.5
Front Door LT & RT Lower Bass: Aurum Cantus AC-165/50C2C
Front Door LT & RT Upper Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Rear Door LT & RT Lower Bass: Focal ISU 165
Rear Door LT & RT Upper Tweeter: Focal ISU 165 (Focal TWU 1.5)
Rear LT & RT Effect D Pillar Mid: Faital PRO 4FE32-4
Sub Rear Hatch Stock Location: Stock B&O 6.5" Sub
Sub Rear Hatch RT Side Basser Box Location: JL Audio 10w1v3-2 with Kicker KEY500.1 Amp
Definitely keep the Aurum Cantus AC-165, they are superior to the Focals and play lower than the Focals too. So have you decided on using the 4ohm versions of the Faitalpros? Or are you going to experiment by dropping them in 2 at a time. My only reservation is the report of the 4ohm versions being too bright but that could quite easily just be to that person's ears. The 4ohms are definitely in keeping with the impedance of the OEM drivers. But the over-all sensitivity of your system will improve drastically. I cannot wait to see your virtual smile when you listen to this fine system you are putting together.
I would do the Centre tweeter and the rear tweeters as a second priority. Simply because I think the
Focal TWU 1.5 comes in pairs. And if you buy just one set of the Focal ISU 165, you can use the drivers in the rear and the tweeters up front in the A pillars. You can decide if you even want to bother with the rear tweeters because it may not be necessary at all. But definitely no harm in using the Focal TWU 1.5 in the rears too. And then for the Centre tweeter go for the brilliant Dayton Audio tweeter or a matching Faitalpro one, which I think you can buy as singles. The thing is, I am off the view that you do not want to attract attention to that Centre channel and so the Faital PRO 4FE32-4 might just be enough with the OEM tweeter.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:57 AM
Club AutoUnion

Definitely keep the Aurum Cantus AC-165, they are superior to the Focals and play lower than the Focals too. So have you decided on using the 4ohm versions of the Faitalpros? Or are you going to experiment by dropping them in 2 at a time. My only reservation is the report of the 4ohm versions being too bright but that could quite easily just be to that person's ears. The 4ohms are definitely in keeping with the impedance of the OEM drivers. But the over-all sensitivity of your system will improve drastically. I cannot wait to see your virtual smile when you listen to this fine system you are putting together.
I would do the Centre tweeter and the rear tweeters as a second priority. Simply because I think the
Focal TWU 1.5 comes in pairs. And if you buy just one set of the Focal ISU 165, you can use the drivers in the rear and the tweeters up front in the A pillars. You can decide if you even want to bother with the rear tweeters because it may not be necessary at all. But definitely no harm in using the Focal TWU 1.5 in the rears too. And then for the Centre tweeter go for the brilliant Dayton Audio tweeter or a matching Faitalpro one, which I think you can buy as singles. The thing is, I am off the view that you do not want to attract attention to that Centre channel and so the Faital PRO 4FE32-4 might just be enough with the OEM tweeter.
OK, we will keep the brand line up the way it is then and I will pick up a set of the 8 & 16 ohm Faitalpros, just to have them ready to try in the front doors and center dashboard positions as the 4 ohm might seem to bright up front and in your face. I will use the 4 Ohm in the rear surrounds as you suggest. As far as the Focal speakers go I bought one of the ISU 165 packs and two of the TWU 1.5's pairs, so I have 6 total 1.5 TWU's tweeters (planning for 2 ea in the rear door's, 2 ea in the A pillar and one in the center) and the 2 6.5 drivers that will go in the rear doors. So would you agree the only speakers left to get for now are the 8 & 16 ohm Faitalpros just to see what works best? I can't wait to hear this system and enjoy the much, much better sounding music played through these speakers over the stock B&O drivers.

Last edited by Mortys66; 05-19-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The 4ohm 4FE32 will be absolutely fine in rear surround locations because they are quite far back and you have a Surround Level dial in the MMI.
The place where you need to experiment with the 8ohm and maybe even the 16ohm is the Door mids and the Centre.

I too might have to swap out my Centre channel if the 3FE22 fits in the dashboard ends and replace it with a 4FE32.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

The 4ohm 4FE32 will be absolutely fine in rear surround locations because they are quite far back and you have a Surround Level dial in the MMI.
The place where you need to experiment with the 8ohm and maybe even the 16ohm is the Door mids and the Centre.

I too might have to swap out my Centre channel if the 3FE22 fits in the dashboard ends and replace it with a 4FE32.
Ok, I bought 2 ea 8 Ohm and 2 ea 16 Ohm 4FE32's and I will see what works best. When do your 3FE22's for your dashboard ends come in? Are the parts you purchase or order in the UK getting as low on stock as we are seeing here in the US? What was normally ordered on the internet and shipped the very same day, is now showing as out of stock and the restocking date is not until the end of June it seams.

Quick Reply: Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car