Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Would love to add some bass to my B9 S5 Cabriolet. It’s so weak it’s a absolute joke! Not sure the most effective and efficient way to go about it. This new B&O system is 1/2 as weak as my old B&O system in my S5 B8.5. This new B&O sucks.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Would love to add some bass to my B9 S5 Cabriolet. It’s so weak it’s a absolute joke! Not sure the most effective and efficient way to go about it. This new B&O system is 1/2 as weak as my old B&O system in my S5 B8.5. This new B&O sucks.
There are a lot of people who have upgraded just the subwoofer. But I don't believe I have seen a Convertible done. The Convertible uses two subwoofer enclosures. You have some decisions to make. Put in a new subwoofer enclosure somewhere, or change the drivers in the current enclosures and drive them harder with a new amplifier. Also changing those front door silly door horn woofers to better drivers will help. But you can start with just the subwoofer first. The subwoofer in the Convertible is enough of a separate topic to start a new thread. I'll help you there.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mortys66
Thanks Bruce,

I have the Basser box and the Kicker amp so I will buy the JL Audio 10W1V3-4 to complete the sub set-up.

Dave
Dont know if you saw my note, for the Kicker amp it might be better to get the 10w1v3-2 instead.

Also if you just want tweeters that will drop into the A pillar spots, the pioneer TS-T15 has been known to work there. But again before you rush to buy tweeters etc you need to marry everything up, sensitivity wise.

Last edited by bruce_miranda; 05-17-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Dont know if you saw my note, for the Kicker amp it might be better to get the 10w1v3-2 instead.

Also if you just want tweeters that will drop into the A pillar spots, the pioneer TS-T15 has been known to work there. But again before you rush to buy tweeters etc you need to marry everything up, sensitivity wise.
Yep, I ordered the 10w1v3-2. I will hold off on the tweeters for now as I already have a long list of items to get me started. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
There are a lot of people who have upgraded just the subwoofer. But I don't believe I have seen a Convertible done. The Convertible uses two subwoofer enclosures. You have some decisions to make. Put in a new subwoofer enclosure somewhere, or change the drivers in the current enclosures and drive them harder with a new amplifier. Also changing those front door silly door horn woofers to better drivers will help. But you can start with just the subwoofer first. The subwoofer in the Convertible is enough of a separate topic to start a new thread. I'll help you there.
Thanks Bruce. Gonna do some reading up. Crutchfield hasn’t updated my car so no info. What size is the Subwoofer and Front Door Speakers or where can I find some info? Thanks

Last edited by B8 S FOR; 05-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just follow this thread or the various others for the front door speakers. In terms of Subwoofer, I think you will be the first. My suggestion would be to first get to your subwoofers in the car. Take them out and measure them up. See how they compare with other cars. See mine here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25173292
In fact in your car I would do the doors first because they are known and you will immediately notice an improvement in the bass in the car. And maybe while you are there change the door mids too.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 495 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
The bass in the Cabriolet is better than the Sportback, so it could be worse!
Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anyone documented the removal process of the D pillar trim for the B9 B&O LT & RT rear effect speakers located on the D pillars. I don't have the access to the manuals and don't want to break any tabs or trim removing it to see what exact speakers are located there on the sportback (I don't remember anyone saying or documenting 'for sure 'what size or spec' speakers are installed there).
Old 05-18-2020, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is why I think your D pillar speakers are the same as the rest of the mids in the car. The clue is in the part numbers between the A4/A5.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25451486
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the Sportback, you fold the rear seats, remove the boot side trim panels and then that provides access to the speaker trim panels.

Quick Reply: Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car