Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

green response is from my 2009 bmw m3 with individual audio package. Orange is my finally landing spot in the Audi. May tweek some stuff in the future, but it sounds good enough that I doubt I’ll go chasing it any further. I don’t think there is much farther to go without ripping out the stock amp and putting a full DSP in and custom tuning everything anyways
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Crazydrummer

green response is from my 2009 bmw m3 with individual audio package. Orange is my finally landing spot in the Audi. May tweek some stuff in the future, but it sounds good enough that I doubt I’ll go chasing it any further. I don’t think there is much farther to go without ripping out the stock amp and putting a full DSP in and custom tuning everything anyways
one final quick note, with the sub turned downed the low base response is pretty similar to the green line. I find that as you turn the volume up towards the max 5ish clicks the system tends to “max out” the sub freq outputs (I’m sure to protect stock sub) and as such the rest of the system gets louder those clicks but not the sub. I didn’t test this but it’s what my ears hear. Normally i I’m not one to have a +12 db sub curve, and at the level I actually tend to listen to stuff at I would guess it’s more like half that. If anyone would like any measurements lmk and I’d be happy to take them.
Nikon1 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just pur a Dayton tweeter in center channel tweeter location. Defiantly made a difference, took out some harshness/added some clarity in the high end
Old 08-20-2022, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Nice work! Glad it's coming together for you.

The Dayton DSA175-8 is a really good midwoofer for the price. The only reason I didn't use it was because I was concerned about it's bass performance in the front door location though looking back in retrospect, it probably meshes with the factory subwoofer better.

Regarding the sound position setting, I use ALL in my car with the fader set for a slight forward bias. I think that sounds best.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Good news! Anyone looking for the 4.5" peerless midrange, Madisound has them in stock and you don't need to buy 500 of them!

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-woofer-4-ohm/
Old 08-27-2022, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi everyone,

Finished my B9 S4 Avant install last night, massive thanks to the hard work and genius of both Bobby and Bruce, I was blown away by the results, second best $1000 (aud) investment after the stage 1 tune. Incredible.

My system - Faital 8ohms (3), Aurum Cantus (f), ac165 (r), dt24.3 (4). Didn’t touch sub (yet), 10uf crossovers as couldn’t find 8’s locally available. Dynamat in doors only and around speaker mount holes.

In the interests of giving back I managed to find some Audi Q5 speaker mounts (F/R) and bought them to compare to the Aliexpress versions, the 6.5 speaker mounts are very close but don’t fit perfectly - however - the rear set included tweeter mounts that worked really well. Put the tweeter surround on the tweeter then twist them in, takes a bit of force to get them under the lugs but once in they are tight and not going anywhere, very easy, no cutting or mods required, took maybe 2min.

link to shop - https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...-2012-2016-8r/

link to manufacturer - https://aerpro.com/vehicles/audi/audi-q5-2012-2016-8r#-

I hope this helps someone.

cheers
Dave

Tweeter adapter

Test fit

Ready for test fit

Assemble from left to right and twist in, easy.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mutchy:
Bobby Kinstle (08-28-2022), jay.ing (09-02-2023), stephen7987 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

OK that tweeter mount is truly awesome.
Mutchy (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mutchy
Hi everyone,

Finished my B9 S4 Avant install last night, massive thanks to the hard work and genius of both Bobby and Bruce, I was blown away by the results, second best $1000 (aud) investment after the stage 1 tune. Incredible.

My system - Faital 8ohms (3), Aurum Cantus (f), ac165 (r), dt24.3 (4). Didn’t touch sub (yet), 10uf crossovers as couldn’t find 8’s locally available. Dynamat in doors only and around speaker mount holes.

In the interests of giving back I managed to find some Audi Q5 speaker mounts (F/R) and bought them to compare to the Aliexpress versions, the 6.5 speaker mounts are very close but don’t fit perfectly - however - the rear set included tweeter mounts that worked really well. Put the tweeter surround on the tweeter then twist them in, takes a bit of force to get them under the lugs but once in they are tight and not going anywhere, very easy, no cutting or mods required, took maybe 2min.

link to shop - https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...-2012-2016-8r/

link to manufacturer - https://aerpro.com/vehicles/audi/audi-q5-2012-2016-8r#-

I hope this helps someone.

cheers
Dave

Tweeter adapter

Test fit

Ready for test fit

Assemble from left to right and twist in, easy.

Thanks for this, I was just about to start the rear doors! I can't find these mounts in the UK but just found one on Aliexpress which looks very similar so will try to order it. LEEWA 2pcs Black Auto Speaker Spacers Mat for Audi Q5 Rear Door Tweeter Pads Reinforced Washer Mounting Kit #CA6208

Did you use 10uf capacitors for the rear Hertz 24.3 tweeters? If yes, is there a reason we cannot use the crossover included in the box? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2022, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Stephen,

Great find at Aliexpress ! They look exactly the same as mine, you need push quite hard to get them under the lugs but they do go in.

I’m not the right person to ask about the capacitors, my understanding is the included ones crossover at 3500khz, while the 10uf cross at 5000khz. An 8uf crosses at 4000khz. I went with 10uf because it was closest to what the experts recommend in these forums (ie 8 or 10).

A tip for the rear doors, it’s easier to unplug the cables on the door than the door card, took me a while to figure this given unfamiliarity with these plugs.

Good luck !

cheers
Dave
Old 08-29-2022, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip!

I have also been reading about capacitors, it seems that most people are using the speaker "impedance ohm" (4Ohm for the Hertz DT24.3) for the calculation but other experts online are using the "Re Ohm" which is 3.3 Ohm. https://hertz-audio.com/product/car-...-dieci-dt24_3/ I assume it shouldn't make a big difference but just curious to understand...

Quick Reply: Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car