Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Connect Services

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by rocko76
In my case, Android Auto replaces this functionality. While it's not necessarily convenient to plug it in all the time, and we don't get the map on the VC, it's just a matter of saying "OK Google - directions to XYZ". Don't need to pull the phone out after that to send to the MMI and I find the traffic much, much more accurate in my area. Also don't get the overlays, but that seems satellite view might be something that Google adds over time.
AA and Car Play are the alternatives and give you similar capabilities if that's what you want to use. That's kinda besides the point. My question was directed towards those that see value in using the MMI navigation and not AA and CarPlay. If you use AA and CarPlay you might as well save a couple of thousand and don't even get the nav package if you are not actually using it. I was recently looking at the Mercedes C63 S as a potential next car, and it struck me how with Mercedes you must decide upfront if you wanna use AA/Car Play or the Mercedes Nav. You can't have both. If you opt for AA/Car Play, you can't opt for their Infotainment system at the same time and you can't get things like the Driver Assistance package, because it depends on the Mercedes Infotainment system.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
AA and Car Play are the alternatives and give you similar capabilities if that's what you want to use. That's kinda besides the point. My question was directed towards those that see value in using the MMI navigation and not AA and CarPlay. If you use AA and CarPlay you might as well save a couple of thousand and don't even get the nav package if you are not actually using it. I was recently looking at the Mercedes C63 S as a potential next car, and it struck me how with Mercedes you must decide upfront if you wanna use AA/Car Play or the Mercedes Nav. You can't have both. If you opt for AA/Car Play, you can't opt for their Infotainment system at the same time and you can't get things like the Driver Assistance package, because it depends on the Mercedes Infotainment system.
I am a big Android aficionado and was serious considering skipping the GPS on mine, would have saved several thousand that way. But the VC was just too eye-catching to give up =P.

Also for resell I'm told it's (GPS) a big draw.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer to use the AudiConnect functionality over both CarPlay or AndroidAuto (I have and tried both). But not at the price Audi is asking for it, especially with having CarPlay and AndroidAuto available to me at no additional cost other than the cellular service charges I'm already paying regardless. That's the whole point as far as I'm concerned. The value proposition at the set price point isn't there, and there are available options that would easily suffice at no additional cost.

If they were to price it at a level below the sanity pain threshold, it would be a no brainer easy sale. By pricing it at a level that appears to be above the average owner's sanity pain threshold, they are losing what could have been easy ongoing subscription sales. If Steve Jobs got anything right it was the concept of the .99 price point. He made buying stuff a no brainer easy decision for the consumer, which in turn made for a huge ongoing easy revenue stream for Apple. Audi could benefit from learning this little history lesson.

Going without on board GPS functionality isn't really a reasonable option in my mind. Resale is a big reason, but for the times when outside of cellular data service when knowing my location, and getting directions, is when it is probably be needed the most.

Last edited by PRGeno; 12-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by PRGeno
I would prefer to use the AudiConnect functionality over both CarPlay or AndroidAuto (I have and tried both). But not at the price Audi is asking for it, especially with having CarPlay and AndroidAuto available to me at no additional cost other than the cellular service charges I'm already paying regardless. That's the whole point as far as I'm concerned. The value proposition at the set price point isn't there, and there are available options that would easily suffice at no additional cost.

If they were to price it at a level below the sanity pain threshold, it would be a no brainer easy sale. By pricing it at a level that appears to be above the average owner's sanity pain threshold, they are losing what could have been easy ongoing subscription sales. If Steve Jobs got anything right it was the concept of the .99 price point. He made buying stuff a no brainer easy decision for the consumer, which in turn made for a huge ongoing easy revenue stream for Apple. Audi could benefit from learning this little history lesson.

Going without on board GPS functionality isn't really a reasonable option in my mind. Resale is a big reason, but for the times when outside of cellular data service when knowing my location, and getting directions, is when it is probably be needed the most.
Judging from this thread it may seem that the current price is above the pain threshold for most. I'm just not convinced that's the case in general. I would think that if Audi doesn't see enough subscriptions, they would drop the price. They have done that in the past. They added additional T-Mobile plans that lowered the per month cost. That hasn't happened yet. They are currently running a special, though. 2017 Season of Audi A4 where you can renew for $149/6months or $399/18months, but judging from the name, that's only for the A4s. That's the same price for the 2017 A3+, because they don't have the remote lock/unlock etc. features.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Judging from this thread it may seem that the current price is above the pain threshold for most. I'm just not convinced that's the case in general. I would think that if Audi doesn't see enough subscriptions, they would drop the price. They have done that in the past. They added additional T-Mobile plans that lowered the per month cost. That hasn't happened yet. They are currently running a special, though. 2017 Season of Audi A4 where you can renew for $149/6months or $399/18months, but judging from the name, that's only for the A4s. That's the same price for the 2017 A3+, because they don't have the remote lock/unlock etc. features.
If $399 for 18/months was offered, I'd take it, even though I am not 100% sold on all the connect features. I'd buy it just to be 'complete' so to speak.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the car for 3 years so that's 2 x 18 month terms for having service throughout my lease or $1k for duration. On a $69k car I can live with that for what you get and the value I get out of using it. Now if the car cost $20k I would understand being annoyed.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
I have the car for 3 years so that's 2 x 18 month terms for having service throughout my lease or $1k for duration. On a $69k car I can live with that for what you get and the value I get out of using it. Now if the car cost $20k I would understand being annoyed.
Personally, it doesn't matter to me what the cost of the car is. It's what you get for the money that you are spending for a specific service. For me, it's too expensive for what you get.

It would be like internet service providers charging you more per month because you live in a more expensive house. Then again, with all the Net Neutrality stuff going on, I wouldn't put it past them to try this.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
the price of the car is irrelevant, but rather what you get for your money. An analogy would be like going to a nice expensive restaurant and ordering a coke for $20.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My trail ended today, now i need to decide if my use case is worth the price of Audi Connect.

I only use the traffic feature to give me an indication of upcoming traffic. The price is BS through.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:57 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine 6 month trial expired yesterday.

I enjoy many of the features and would miss them otherwise.

I renewed for 18 months.

Quick Reply: Connect Services