Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dash says P, but car in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

That's a non-response response..... I wouldn't accept that at all.
CAN bus messages have retry built into the protocols to prevent these things.
That's the only way to tell if it's communicating properly as the other module would report an issue.
Plus if there is an issue who knows what OTHER more critical messages could be missed like a MIL/CEL, critical electrical failure, ABS failure, etc.
This is an indication to get the car scanned and see how often it has been happening.
It would take the dealer 15 mins to do it - and it's warrantable.

Originally Posted by mrcd
Spoke with service adviser. After communicating with foreman, he said to keep an eye on it. I'm comfortable with that, but surprised they didn't want to have the car checked out for at least liability purposes.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that's the danger of DBW (drive by wire)....You are at the mercy of software.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Absolutely a dangerous problem - not sure why some posters think it is not. If it is widespread enough, it would likely warrant a NHTSA recall.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
not sure why some posters think it is not.
That would have been me, but you'll also see I retracted that after reading other responses (I know you're not allowed to change your position on things on the internet these days but there you go).

The reason I originally said that is because I would look at the lights by the shift lever if I want to see if it's in park, not the virtual cockpit. But you are right it should all match.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car did it again, this time dash said "N" and car moving backward. My intention was for car to be in reverse, car did as I instructed by dash did not follow. Car at dealership getting checked out. Will post result.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the thing scanned for faults.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Please keep us posted on the solution. This can be dangerous if not confusing.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Had this happen the other day in my wife’s Q5. Only thing I did differently was to turn off the engine without putting the car in P first. Wanted to see how that worked based on other’s comments. Only happened next time I started the car. Hasn’t happened since as that was the only time I tried that ‘experiment’. Won’t do it again. Not sure if that’s related but figured I would share.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

How is this even possible without it throwing some kind of fault code or message? Shouldn't this be safety engineering 101 to never have that happen with no errors?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by audijk
Had this happen the other day in my wife’s Q5. Only thing I did differently was to turn off the engine without putting the car in P first. Wanted to see how that worked based on other’s comments. Only happened next time I started the car. Hasn’t happened since as that was the only time I tried that ‘experiment’. Won’t do it again. Not sure if that’s related but figured I would share.
I never put the car in park, I just use the stop button and park is engaged automatically.
I also have the auto parking brake engage feature turned on, so that there's redundancy.
I make sure I check the RPMs are at 0 before I exit, always....

So, what you have described has never happened to me.....

Quick Reply: Dash says P, but car in Reverse