Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Deer 2, RS5 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I seem to remember a long post where he lamented having to work so hard to be able to be in the position to own an RS5. No doubt he's doing well financially to be driving that car, anyone pushing $100k in a non-daily is.

I'm only holding out the two options equal to each other, the difference is probably not consequential in the grand scheme of things but nobody could call it a financially sound decision.

The original point is that its overly dramatic to say "the car will never be the same" "I have to get rid of it" because that is straight up not true. This car can 100% be put back to good as new condition, especially given that it started in nearly new condition from the paint protection and low miles. There wont be any rattles, mismatch paint, misaligned fenders as long as a competent shop works on it.
I can state from my own experience that is a very accurate take on the situation. I was very upset over having my pristine car ruined when I hit that deer. And the fix involved a new fender, sheet metal repair on both driver side doors and the hood, along with new paint on all of those items. And even though I know they are all not the same as when the car left the factory, they are certainly good enough that it's not something I can tell just by looking at it. For me, it's just a car, one that I will be trading in in about 3 more years anyway. It was bound to get some dings along the way, so at least that's done and over with.

But not everyone sees things through the same lens. If having the car be perfect is that important - nothing wrong with spending the money to make it so. My choices would be different, but I don't expect anyone to judge me on how I choose to spend my money either.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Dude, I think most of us will agree go find another thread to troll.

I will keep everyone informed on how it goes. Car is on the tow and headed to Denver.
So one thing I can't figure out from your initial post and description of the indecent. The deer hit you in the drivers side door and then made contact with the front of the car? Trying to figure out the physics on that? About how fast were you going? I once had a deer dart into the road just as I was passing it and it hit a rear door before bouncing off and running back into the woods. My most recent encounter I hit headlamp first and the carcass spun around and made contact a couple of times down the side of the car as I drove past the initial point of contact. But drivers door first then the hood? How the heck did that happen?

Any issues with your insurance claim? Around here it's so common that the insurance company doesn't even bother asking questions. I even let them know I had a dashcam video of the strike and offered to send it to them but they couldn't have cared less.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
X2! Have you started scouting replacement vehicles or will you have to order? Best of Luck and remember: “Opinions are like a$$holes / Everybody has one and nobody thinks their’s stinks.” Just go with your gut reaction.

— John
yes! Audi Denver has the exact spec car as the damaged one. I have a $1000 deposit holding the car until they can see the car and give me a number.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
So one thing I can't figure out from your initial post and description of the indecent. The deer hit you in the drivers side door and then made contact with the front of the car? Trying to figure out the physics on that? About how fast were you going? I once had a deer dart into the road just as I was passing it and it hit a rear door before bouncing off and running back into the woods. My most recent encounter I hit headlamp first and the carcass spun around and made contact a couple of times down the side of the car as I drove past the initial point of contact. But drivers door first then the hood? How the heck did that happen?
I am going of what I seen or didn’t see ans the witness that stopped. He also said the deer hit the drivers door first flipped *** end around and got the front fender. I also have dash cam from my owl dash cam and you can only see the *** of the deer hit the front fender after the airbag went off. So going in my memory the witness and the dash cam. We all agree the first point of impact was right in front of the door Handel.

Any issues with your insurance claim? Around here it's so common that the insurance company doesn't even bother asking questions. I even let them know I had a dashcam video of the strike and offered to send it to them but they couldn't have cared less.

State Farm has been great! Already paid me my out of pocket tow of $300 and my shoulder got jacked up some and they are sending me to a chiropractor for that. They even went a little outside their towing limits to tow the car to Denver from Colorado Springs. I am sure another shop could have fixed the car here but Audi Denver has the car I am trying to trade for. And they seem the best repair shop around town. I want the car repaired the best it can be for someone else just not me. I cleaned the interior and wiped all the airbag dust out of the interior. I removed my all weather mats and installed the factory carpet ones but I put down cardboard to protect the drivers side. Even though the car won’t be mine I want someone else to see I tried my best to take care of it after the accident. I even used some waterless car wash to clean up the car on the outside a little. To add insult to injury a bird crapped on the car twice while it was sitting outside. I made sure I got that off. I take pride in all my stuff. My work truck is 9 years old with out a scratch or dent. It’s cleaned out every night when I get home and ran through the automatic car wash daily. My last SQ5 was pristine without even swirl marks. It just makes me sick to see the car like this. I know that feeling will never go away as long as I own this car.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
yes! Audi Denver has the exact spec car as the damaged one. I have a $1000 deposit holding the car until they can see the car and give me a number.
OUTSTANDING!

— John
Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

It's good you already found a replacement!
Maybe you should get the same spec, just in Sportback! 🙂

On the other hand, do you know if State Farm will give you a depreciated value check (+ repair check) since it's not totaled?
Old 04-30-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

With my luck, I’d get the brand-new replacement car and a deer would hit that too.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It's good you already found a replacement!
Maybe you should get the same spec, just in Sportback! 🙂

On the other hand, do you know if State Farm will give you a depreciated value check (+ repair check) since it's not totaled?

I thought about a sportback but I really like my coupe. My friends would like me to get a sportback. Lol. I did consider it once. I am going to look into hiring a DV lawyer and see what they can come up with. I found very reasonable ones on the Internet. $500-$800
Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Luckily there are no moose in NJ.
Or, fortunately, in Maryland.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I never go north of Denton or east of Dallas, but have taken trips to College Station and Austin. The good thing is that deer are a very low risk when staying inside DFW.
So you don’t got to WinStar much? ;p. Our family ranch is north east of Denton. Believe it or not I don’t see many deer around. Now get west over around Saint Jo or Nocona and you will see a lot. Still nothing like what we see here in Colorado. Also seen deer on 289 between Frisco and the red river