Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Direct TPMS Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Interesting that is shows pressure and temperature.Might be worth the hassle of the in wheel sensors to do this.

What's the cost like (ballpark)? Installation doesn't seem so bad especially if you have the sensors added when changing tires.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
Interesting that is shows pressure and temperature.Might be worth the hassle of the in wheel sensors to do this.

What's the cost like (ballpark)? Installation doesn't seem so bad especially if you have the sensors added when changing tires.
I bought the parts from reputable suppliers in Europe. Four wheel sensors, receiver antenna (parameterized with proper software), and wiring harness was $325. If you need four more wheel sensors for a set of winter wheels it's another $100. My local shop charged me $11 per wheel to install the sensors and re-balance.

As Bruce mentioned in a post above many people just put the receiver antenna in the trunk, rather than underneath the car as Audi does at the factory. I had already bought the brackets for underneath ($43 from Europe) so I just mounted mine there. In this case you will need to get under the car (use a lift if you can - I did mine from the alignment pit at the shop). Bracket is not hard to mount if you know the trick - add a few washers under the M10 nut so you can easily get a wrench on it to tighten all the way.

Otherwise the only cost is a connector wire and fuse to add to the fuse box (as I did) or a fuse tap. Of course you need VCDS or OBDeleven or VCD to do a few coding changes.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
I bought the parts from reputable suppliers in Europe. Four wheel sensors, receiver antenna (parameterized with proper software), and wiring harness was $325. If you need four more wheel sensors for a set of winter wheels it's another $100. My local shop charged me $11 per wheel to install the sensors and re-balance.

As Bruce mentioned in a post above many people just put the receiver antenna in the trunk, rather than underneath the car as Audi does at the factory. I had already bought the brackets for underneath ($43 from Europe) so I just mounted mine there. In this case you will need to get under the car (use a lift if you can - I did mine from the alignment pit at the shop). Bracket is not hard to mount if you know the trick - add a few washers under the M10 nut so you can easily get a wrench on it to tighten all the way.

Otherwise the only cost is a connector wire and fuse to add to the fuse box (as I did) or a fuse tap. Of course you need VCDS or OBDeleven or VCD to do a few coding changes.
Seems totally worth it for that. Thanks for the details.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

I know the OP said he’s not a fan of buying “kits” for this type of upgrade, but @heymoe made a great post for a “one-stop-Kit” from a reliable vendor:

Originally Posted by heymoe
On a side note Kufatec already has a full TPMS kit you can buy from them with hardware and coding dongle:

https://www.kufatec.com/en/tires-rim...8w-a5-f5-43730
Only downside I see to the Kufatec is the lead time: When I looked last night, they were listing an arrival time of early December. Pricing appears to be comparable but the upside is the Kufatec has a programming dongle that plugs into the OBD II port and automatically does the programming for you.

Just another option.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
heymoe (10-17-2019), NJS5 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
A follow-up that my direct TPMS is installed and functional. Not that hard to do the work to get it in. A great upgrade I think. I'm now able to see each tire's pressure and temperature real time on the instrument cluster.
Can you share some info on how to parameterize the module? What program did you use and where did you get the parameter file?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ahorvath
Can you share some info on how to parameterize the module? What program did you use and where did you get the parameter file?
The seller in Europe did it before sending the unit. Otherwise the only home way to do it is with Vag Can Pro (VCP). VCDS or OBDeleven can’t do it. I have a VCP, but I don’t have the details on how to do it. I’m sure it can easily be figured out.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I know the OP said he’s not a fan of buying “kits” for this type of upgrade, but @heymoe made a great post for a “one-stop-Kit” from a reliable vendor:

Only downside I see to the Kufatec is the lead time: When I looked last night, they were listing an arrival time of early December. Pricing appears to be comparable but the upside is the Kufatec has a programming dongle that plugs into the OBD II port and automatically does the programming for you.

Just another option.

— John
Yeah, I do like the challenge most of the time and I assemble the parts myself. I was at half price for euro blackline tail lights and the auto stop brake button. So I thought I’d give one a try too.

The kit is about $250 more when delivery is factored in. Not too bad for one stop shopping. I did spend time researching and sending notes. That has value too.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

The cheapest way by far is to find a used TPMS receiver, buy the RDK wiring from Aliexpress and the TPMS valves locally from the cheapest dealer for OEM parts.
Then it becomes an ODB11 or VCDS job.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the system installed now all I need is the correct coding. Can you please share the coding?

If you don't want to post it here can you please PM me?
Old 12-23-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ahorvath
I got the system installed now all I need is the correct coding. Can you please share the coding?

If you don't want to post it here can you please PM me?
Your PM is turned off.

Quick Reply: Direct TPMS Retrofit