Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does Audi even make RS5 Coupes anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
I bought mine as I noticed over time that with kids in college, I was spending 99% of the time in a 4 door A7 by myself or with my spouse. No need for a 4 door car anymore. There was a time I needed 5 seat belts for carpools and hauling sports gear etc. Now, I'm free to buy something I had been waiting for since they discontinued the B8 in 2015. Most of my neighbors have a MB/BMW/Mustang/Vette/HRT coupe for fun. They're out there...have seen plenty of A5s, which are beautiful cars as well. All good as to each his own.
Absolutely yes. I am torn between the Coupe and the SB. I am like you I dont need 4 doors at all. And before I have owned a 2015 BMW 435i GranCoupe-my brother had a coupe- and While the GranCoupe was really a damn nice car- the coupe was lower as BMW treated the GranCoupe as less sporty and was just a better driver. But Audi hasnt done that- the SB and the Coupe are virtually identical except for that small weight penalty and long wheelbase. I am sure the suspension is changed to handle that and the extra length but its not higher than the Coupe off the wheels- its higher becasue of the roofline- but to my eye the SB actually does look better than the coupe- in certain colors- The Green to me is for the SB, Nardo to me looks better on the coupe,, Red to me is the SB? Everyone's mileage will vary there of course but to me the lines of the SB seem to fit the car a bit better. That said- I like to go into the Texas Hill Country and tear up some back roads- for that- the coupe (which is, of course, by no means ugly) is the better choice. I will probably be getting the Coupe. And the Coupe is going to be, already is, really rare. That's not my buying influence but it will be for some.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTiger83
..... I gotta think the TT (-44%) isn't long for the U.S. unless special order or European delivery.
European delivery has been killed for US customers.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
I bought mine as I noticed over time that with kids in college, I was spending 99% of the time in a 4 door A7 by myself or with my spouse. No need for a 4 door car anymore. There was a time I needed 5 seat belts for carpools and hauling sports gear etc. Now, I'm free to buy something I had been waiting for since they discontinued the B8 in 2015. Most of my neighbors have a MB/BMW/Mustang/Vette/HRT coupe for fun. They're out there...have seen plenty of A5s, which are beautiful cars as well. All good as to each his own.
As (it seems to me) I am the lone person who has never had children on this forum, I have always purchased either 2 door hatchbacks, 2 door Coupés or convertibles since I’ve been buying cars. As such, when I went looking for my new car a year ago, it was down to Audi & BMW — due to dealer issues with Lexus and some of the other brands. My dealer only had an S5SB as a “test drive” vehicle. Based on the B9 platform, I ordered my S5 Coupé.

I have zero interest in a 4 Door vehicle; as the saying goes, “never have, never will.” So if my B9 S5 Coupé becomes a rarity I’m quite happy with that.

It’s my belief that you should buy what you want / need in your car. If Audi stops making Coupés if / when I want a new car, I’ll have been a “one & done” Audi owner.

— John
Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think if Audi had a sportback/liftback version of the coupe I'd be more interested. Isn't the coupe also missing the power trunk? I don't really need the back doors, but I'd be giving up more than that by going with a coupe.

Last edited by rccoleman; 04-05-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I think it Audi had a sportback/liftback version of the coupe I'd be more interested. Isn't the coupe also missing the power trunk? I don't really need the back doors, but I'd be giving up more than that by going with a coupe.
The Coupé has a trunk release but neither a closing mechanism nor a opening height adjustment. I definitely agree — I would love a 2 Door Hatchback but given the choice of a 4 Door hatchback or a 2 Door Coupé, well, I made the choice that fits my needs best. To each his own.

— John
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
The Coupé has a trunk release but neither a closing mechanism nor a opening height adjustment. I definitely agree — I would love a 2 Door Hatchback but given the choice of a 4 Door hatchback or a 2 Door Coupé, well, I made the choice that fits my needs best. To each his own.

— John
I don’t often need lots of cargo space, but the lift back certainly came in handy when I had to transport pedestals for my washer and dryer each in its own giant box. The Sportback has been a great alternative to jumping on the SUV bandwagon, and it’ll be a requirement for my next car (M4GC, assuming BMW builds it and offers it stateside). I’m not really a fan of the ‘hot hatch’ look that’s so popular in Europe, but I can certainly appreciate the practicality.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

— John
I believe it also has the hands free trunk release by foot motion under the bumper, but yes no power opening and closing. Height adjustment is not necessary as the trunk doesn't really open above the roof line. These are the little things I discovered where Audi cheapens out compared to the competitors. The C63 Coupe for example has power open/close trunk standard as well as hands free with the foot. Which is nice as you can close the trunk with your foot as well after taking crap out of the trunk and not having any free hands. Certainly nice added luxury.

I also never had kids, and I've always bought 2 door coupes. Most of the time it's just me in the car or me and my wife, and the trunks are big enough for a weekend out of town. As a GT is supposed to be. The only sedan I've ever owned was my 2007 S4, and only because Audi did not offer a coupe at the time. The SB is kinda the same story for me. It looks better, but it's still a sedan at the end of the day. I don't need 4 doors and I never had issues with trunk space on any of the coupes I've owned.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Which is nice as you can close the trunk with your foot as well after taking crap out of the trunk and not having any free hands. Certainly nice added luxury.
This works on my S5 Sportback as well. It beeps as it comes down and latches, and yes, it's convenient and a nice touch.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sedan will always be a more practical choice over a coupe, which as others have said, is a purely emotional choice of style over function. For me, the RS5 Coupe was actually a big step up in practicality (I have 2 kids) since my previous car was a Jaguar F-Type S AWD.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
This works on my S5 Sportback as well. It beeps as it comes down and latches, and yes, it's convenient and a nice touch.
I haven't been able to get the hatch to close with my foot. I can get it to open with my foot 9/10 times though.

Quick Reply: Does Audi even make RS5 Coupes anymore?