Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

DSG service 40K miles or how much time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Costasz
She told me stories how the service dept. always bragged how they made way more money for the dealership than the new car sales did.
That is almost always the case except for trucks and SUV's.
It's like giving away the razor and overcharging for the blades.I believe Gillette started the practice in 1901.
US automakers make obscene profits on trucks and SUV's and yet people still overpay to get their beloved trucks.
I bet not 10% of truck owners really need a truck, it's a macho thing.

Last edited by Wildcat UA; 12-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
...yet people still overpay to get their beloved trucks. I bet not 10% of truck owners really need a truck, it's a macho thing.
I'll bet truck owners could say the same thing about S5 and RS5 owners. Oh wait, I own a truck!
The following users liked this post:
Tundraman (10-16-2022)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
She told me stories how the service dept. always bragged how they made way more money for the dealership than the new car sales did.

No shock in that statement! The more expensive the car, the more the dealership makes on the service group.

And this is why I will be dropping off 3 dozen bakery donuts to both my Acura Service Techs and my Audi Service Techs tomorrow morning at about 8:00 a.m. In my experience “. . . The salesman sells the dream but the service tech reaps the nightmare.” It always seems like the service group gets the leftovers — if anything — and those 6 dozen donuts are the most inexpensive investment I can make that will (probably) pay off more in good will between the service tech and my cars.

No — I don’t dress up in a Santa Suit, but I do appreciate spreading a little joy to the back of the house.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I'll bet truck owners could say the same thing about S5 and RS5 owners. Oh wait, I own a truck!
of course you own a truck, you live in Indiana, haha. I lived Southeast of Indy for 10 years.

In like 1996 I had a Ford Planning manager fro 6 Ford plants tell me as an supplier to never shut down a truck or SUV plant, screw the Taurus plant. They made nothing on the car and $10,000 on trucks (and that was in 1996 dollars)

so basically truck buyers overpay
Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

In like 1996 I had a Ford Planning manager fro 6 Ford plants tell me as an supplier to never shut down a truck or SUV plant, screw the Taurus plant. They made nothing on the car and $10,000 on trucks (and that was in 1996 dollars)

so basically truck buyers overpay
It's all relative though. While my experience is likely atypical, my 2003 2500HD truck had a sticker price in the upper 30's. Pretty sure I was out the door for less than 30k. Sold it in 2016 for 10k. It never saw the service dept, so only expenses were typical maintenance items. So I was easily under 3k/year in vehicle repair / maint / depreciation. Pretty sure I'll never see anything close to that in my S5. Therefore, I am of the opinion, when I buy my trucks, I don't over pay. Profit margin of a product is of no consequence to value. The market always determines the value.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

But your $30K truck in 2003 would be $50K to $70K today. Can't compare a 2003 truck to a 2018 A5.
Guys at my workplace in Phoenix have bought $70K Ram trucks with a lot less tech and build quality and finish

And I would say you just talked some other truck owner into buying an overpriced used truck. You are right, market determines value ultimately.
But intrinsic value seems better to me if their margin is lower.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the reason why trucks and SUV is getting so popular is the sad state of our roads. Driving on some of these so called roads in the Northeast is almost like going off road. I have seen many smaller car with suspension damage. At the same time, these so called full size trucks are getting so big that they actually take up two spaces in the parking lot. I think it is about time we started a new tax for vehicles over 4500 pounds and for vehicles that exceeds a certain dimensions.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

" With 820,799 sold in 2016, the Ford F-Series pickup became the best-selling truck in America for 40 years straight.It’s also been the best-selling vehicle overall for 35 years, powering through several eras of high gas prices and economic recessions along the way."

while I don't doubt roads are deteriorating, high truck sales are not a new phenomenon
Old 12-15-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

" With 820,799 sold in 2016, the Ford F-Series pickup became the best-selling truck in America for 40 years straight.It’s also been the best-selling vehicle overall for 35 years, powering through several eras of high gas prices and economic recessions along the way."

while I don't doubt roads are deteriorating, high truck sales are not a new phenomenon
you can thank the American diet for the need to fit into a big truck. Let’s raise the price of gas to the prices in Europe and Asia and let’s see if the f150 will still sell well.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

you can thank the American diet for the need to fit into a big truck. Let’s raise the price of gas to the prices in Europe and Asia and let’s see if the f150 will still sell well.
Because that's working so well in France?

Quick Reply: DSG service 40K miles or how much time?