Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the issue truly is the small lip below the sensor would it be possible to dremel cut out that lip from bottom corner to corner and sand it smooth? I haven't seen the grill in person to have an idea of spacing below or behind the lip to make it look correct.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 09A4
If the issue truly is the small lip below the sensor would it be possible to dremel cut out that lip from bottom corner to corner and sand it smooth? I haven't seen the grill in person to have an idea of spacing below or behind the lip to make it look correct.
It is not worth dremeling down. It will mess up the cosmetics of the grille for an issue that is very minor.
I am thinking the OP has a different issue causing his sensor to beep.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the driver's side sensor in my grill has given me an alert maybe three times in the 5 months I've had it. Every time is was slowing down at an intersection. I assumed it was not grill / sensor related, and either an Audi bug or something that actually made the sensor yield a false alarm.

I'll have to keep the water (and soon snow) possibility in mind if it happens again to see if there's any correlation.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
I have noticed some minor false beeping alerts with the grille when it is raining. Especially after the car has been sitting in the rain.
I think it is caused by the little "lips" under the sensor provisions in the aftermarket grille. Those raised areas under (and over) the sensors can cause water, mud, sleet, snow, and/or ice build up that can trigger a false. Once driving, it should come off and the false alert will go away. If not, just give it a quick wipe.
This happens every so often for me. Maybe a dozen times a month. My S5 SB is a daily driver so that is not very often.
Bingo! It actually happened more often with the sensors it came than the oem ones though. Weird thing is mine is also the driver side giving false alarms...
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I think the driver's side sensor in my grill has given me an alert maybe three times in the 5 months I've had it. Every time is was slowing down at an intersection. I assumed it was not grill / sensor related, and either an Audi bug or something that actually made the sensor yield a false alarm.

I'll have to keep the water (and soon snow) possibility in mind if it happens again to see if there's any correlation.
We definitely have a correlation going on because 75% of the time, mine happens while coming to a stop from at least 15 mph!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bayarea_s5

Bingo! It actually happened more often with the sensors it came than the oem ones though. Weird thing is mine is also the driver side giving false alarms...
Same here! Mine is typically the driver's side.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Seems like a growing consensus that there’s an issue with false positives readings, from the drivers side sensor in the grille. I’m going to see about popping out the Audi OEM sensors and placing those in the grille vs the EMD supplied ones. Hope to get it done this week, or next and can report back after a rainstorm, car wash and/or just regular driving.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the new sensor installed, when the grille was off in order to repaint the crash bar; however, the issue is still occurring at random. It also doesn’t seem to matter if the car is wet, dry or whatever. My belief is the grille has some kind of defect that doesn’t properly align the sensor and it is catching the “signature” of something small - maybe the edge of the honeycomb grille. Not sure what to do at this point, but I have turned off the “automatic” enable option in the submenu, which reduces the false positives..
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm wondering if just a small deviation in the way it sits in the hole is causing all this.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe. I’ve tried pulling the grille out to adjust the sensor up slightly, to either no change or nothing significant to matter or it could just fall back into place after a few bumps on the rough Dallas roads.

Quick Reply: EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue