Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Extended Term protection worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Shigeru

\- I found some serious conflicts with how/what the dealer explained vs what the terms were. Educate yourself and assume all claims will follow the terms to the letter. If you have any questions call Fidelity Warranty Services.
Thank you, Shigeru, for all the research. The most important piece of your post is the note above! In the past, I have attempted to use an “extended tire / wheel” warranty only to find that what the dealer said versus what the contract actually covered we’re not even close. When I went back to the Finance Manager to find out what happened I found the Finance Manager was no longer there — so it was a “he said / she said” and what I was “told” was incorrect.

Shigeru did his — do your own!

— John
Old 01-30-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rius
Ok that's good to know. But given what evanseric said now I'm wondering if it's worth it to get it and just have them change the brake/pads rotors anyway at like 45,000 miles and not have to worry about it for the next 5+ years......decisions decisions.
I would think that Audi's policy is not to replace brake pads that are not needed, if your dealer is telling you they will replace the pads rather if it needs it or not, I think they are doing it on their own and probably lying to Audi about how thick the pads are, its not like Audi actually inspect the pads. The other possibility is that the finance manager is trying to make more money on the back end of the sale, the finance manager can make more profit on the back end than the actual sale of the car. I would get the free brake job at 40k miles part in writing, if the dealer will not put it in writing, there is no guarantee you will get the free brakes 4 years down the line.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would think that Audi's policy is not to replace brake pads that are not needed, if your dealer is telling you they will replace the pads rather if it needs it or not, I think they are doing it on their own and probably lying to Audi about how thick the pads are, its not like Audi actually inspect the pads. The other possibility is that the finance manager is trying to make more money on the back end of the sale, the finance manager can make more profit on the back end than the actual sale of the car. I would get the free brake job at 40k miles part in writing, if the dealer will not put it in writing, there is no guarantee you will get the free brakes 4 years down the line.
I agree with you here. I am skeptical that the term plan will cover a free brake and rotor replacement regardless of the conditions of the brakes. In general, the term contract, tire and wheel coverage, and extended warranties and major profit centers for the dealer and warranty companies, not the consumer.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I agree with you here. I am skeptical that the term plan will cover a free brake and rotor replacement regardless of the conditions of the brakes. In general, the term contract, tire and wheel coverage, and extended warranties and major profit centers for the dealer and warranty companies, not the consumer.
I agree with you both but I asked this specific question and that was the answer I was given. I decided for the moment that I would not get Term care (still deciding if I think it's worth it or not). If I had opted for it then I would have definitely got it in writing. I wouldn't consider it a "free brake" replacement though given the fact that your spent $3000 for the package. It's not my responsibility what they do on the back end. If they agree and put in writing that them will replace the breaks towards the end of the term regardless of the brakes condition then that's all I would care about.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even with the pads and rotors for both axle, you looking at about $2000. Add=left 3 sets of wipers which cost about $300, front wheel aglignment $200, fluids $50, built in profit $450.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even with the pads and rotors for both axle, you looking at about $2000. Add=left 3 sets of wipers which cost about $300, front wheel aglignment $200, fluids $50, built in profit $450.
Which is exactly why I chose not to purchase.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:42 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

With a stated cost of $2038, how do you get your $450 profit figure?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MH62
With a stated cost of $2038, how do you get your $450 profit figure?
The cost is $3005 unless you are getting a discount:

Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can save $100 when purchased with Audi Care.

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-30-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a list of all the packages I was offered and what I selected. I went with Audi Care and Multi-Shield Protection. I really only wanted Tire/Wheel Protection and Windshield but those two were more expensive separate so I just did the package deal which includes a lot of other stuff(that I wont use).

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-30-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended Term protection worth it?