Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

FasTrak Hidden Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
I see. The way I handle it in combo lanes is I have to make sure the transponder is removed and shielded in a bag when I have 2 or more occupants in the car. Just not sure how they'll handle this when switching to stickers.

Even though your authority is switching to stickers, those stickers may still have RFID circuitry within them. It would require the RFID “scanners” to use higher powered “exciters” to generate the return signals from the car mounted RFID antenna / stickers.

There are are multiple levels of RFID and how much intelligence can be stored in surface mount technology and system on a chip has increased dramatically since RFID was implemented.

I have no idea what California or other areas are using — I just know what the Mid-Atlantic is currently using is pretty old technology.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I see. The way I handle it in combo lanes is I have to make sure the transponder is removed and shielded in a bag when I have 2 or more occupants in the car. Just not sure how they'll handle this when switching to stickers.
perhaps in the sticker version they will have a switch built in that allows you to short out the antenna. Antennas are pretty finicky and need to be tuned just right so if you shorted them to other metal you would drastically change their resonant frequency and therefore be unreadable to a scanner so when you have multiple occupants. Just a guess tho. Frankly I don’t want a box, I don’t want a sticker, I don’t really want anything on this car that wasn’t out there by audi
Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

I’m bad. No front plate, (required in NJ) painted my EZ Pass black, (will plastic dip next time) and keep the transponder in the glove box. It has always been read in the lanes that require you to slow down, never received a notice from passing through the high speed lanes. I do have my plate registered with the system.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Why do people bother with keeping FasTrak transponders in their car? All of our toll booths have cameras that capture your license plate and it gets logged into your FasTrak account. I haven't had a transponder in my car for years and it has never missed capturing my plate.

edit: unless you are using the express lanes or parking garages

Last edited by chemengin; 02-12-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
Why do people bother with keeping FasTrak transponders in their car? All of our toll booths have cameras that capture your license plate and it gets logged into your FasTrak account. I haven't had a transponder in my car for years and it has never missed capturing my plate.

edit: unless you are using the express lanes or parking garages
Some lanes here is SoCal are free for HOV and you must remove and shield your transponder to avoid getting charged and you must have it displayed when travelling solo to avoid citations.

Last edited by MH62; 02-12-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Quick update: I had the mount printed in PLA and it turns out it can't handle direct sun exposition, it's all twisted like a pretzel now. I'm having it reprinted in SLS and I'll see if it's more stable in the heat.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick update: I had the mount printed in PLA and it turns out it can't handle direct sun exposition, it's all twisted like a pretzel now. I'm having it reprinted in SLS and I'll see if it's more stable in the heat.
That's a shame that it's shape distorted but I'm not that surprised it couldn't handle direct sun. It's black which will absorb a lot of heat and it's printed out of a material with a low melting point so it gets soft in the sun relatively easily. Changing to SLS might improve it's heat resistance some, but don't be surprised if you have a similar outcome .
Old 04-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by James P.
That's a shame that it's shape distorted but I'm not that surprised it couldn't handle direct sun. It's black which will absorb a lot of heat and it's printed out of a material with a low melting point so it gets soft in the sun relatively easily. Changing to SLS might improve it's heat resistance some, but don't be surprised if you have a similar outcome .
It will soon be a moot point for me, got this in the mail today: