Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

First time Audi buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default that's funnyl...

Originally Posted by Tony M
Hi Jim
No, I wasn't assuming the C43 was faster, but i did notice the number of motoring writers that felt it was more fun to drive. Thanks for that info, which is certainly interesting and a little surprising (in a good way).

BTW, in Australia, the sports diff is a stand-alone option and I was really in two minds about shelling out for it (around 2.5k AUD). But the nagging feeling that I might be missing out on something good prompted me to tick that box even though I'll probably never feel it actually doing it's thing, given the limited scope for enthusiastic driving on our crappy roads.

Re the BMW, it was my first (slightly) premium German car and I've found it to be a sweet little driver and a great ownership experience with no reliability issues whatsoever. However, I don't trust runflats to get me to where I'm going and I'd rather pop on a spare, even if it's a space-saver. At least then I'd feel confident about continuing on my way, albeit at a reduced speed. Somehow, though, the interior fell short of being the premium experience i expected. It looked great with the red seats, doortrims and lower dash, but he dakota leather always felt too much like some sort of utilitarian plastic and some of the switchgear and other interior fittings seemed a bit downmarket to me at the price. I expect the Audi to be a little better at least. Anyway, these are some of the reason I just didn't want to swap to a 4 series Grande Coupe. I also think a reasonably powerful car should really have the security of AWD.

I'll be going from Mineral grey/Coral red to Daytona/Magma so I don't think a lot of the neighbours will even notice I've changed cars!
I had that experience, going from a mineral grey/black BMW coupe to a Daytona/black S5 Sportback: no one noticed I'd changed cars. But then I had that non-reaction previously when I went from a 2010 E92 M3 in space grey/black to the 435i. I tested the 440i Gran Coupe too, but found it tight on elbow room and I was interested in the xDrive (I don't think the RWD 440i Gran Coupe is even offered in Canada.). The combination of run flats and no proper sports suspension in the xDrive Gran Coupe is a deal killer for me, at least the second time around.

Interestingly the S5 coupe also narrowly beat the E92 M3 around those two tracks. Although I loved my M3s (E36, E46 & E92) - I really need an LSD in a RWD car for winter here in Canada - since the E46 there has been no spare. I tolerated this when my wife had her own car, but she now has some motor disability and I really need the security of a spare (or run flats). In my view the combination of non run flats and the space saver spare is something that every grand tourer should have,

Truth be told, I'm far more interested in performance cars for the active safety they provide through superior traction, steering and braking than for straight-line performance. It is hard to imagine a car offering a better combination of active safety and practicality than the S5 Sportback. The superb interior - right up there with the F80 M3 w/ leather package - is just icing on the cake. Sure it's a little less exciting than some of my other cars were in their time, but other than its unfortunate resemblance to a Ford Fusion (a great looking Ford!) and the throttle lag in Drive I find it hard to criticize this car.

Last edited by NoMoreBMWs; 02-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

• The interior of the C43 did nothing for me.
  • The S5's interior is better built.
  • The C43 sounds good, but the V6 on the S5 has a deep rumble while the C43 is a bit more high pitched.
  • S5 exterior to my eyes at least looks amazing.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default an unrequited love...

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
  • The interior of the C43 did nothing for me.
  • The S5's interior is better built.
  • The C43 sounds good, but the V6 on the S5 has a deep rumble while the C43 is a bit more high pitched.
  • S5 exterior to my eyes at least looks amazing.
I was a sucker for the looks of the S5 from inception; I'll let the Audi purists argue over which model looks best. But I could never get over the weight, nose-heaviness or cramped interior (rear seat, trunk). Audi has made modest improvements in the weight and nose-heaviness, but the moment the far more capacious Sportback arrived in North America I was a goner. R&T calls it a "gorgeous grand tourer", C&D "unabashedly beautiful". But it's a quiet sort of beauty, all about proportions and smooth integration of simple shapes (and lines). It attracts less attention than even my 435i coupe did, let alone my M3s. Personally I like a little stealth in a car.

Last edited by NoMoreBMWs; 02-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I try not to let looks sway me too much. I'm not entirely comfortable with the big chromy front grill and even the curved line over the front wheel arch looks a bit "overstyled" to me. The excessive curve at the front of the hood, referred to by some as a "parrot-nose" also detracts as it also does in many BMW's. (I understand it has something to do with pedestrian safety?) More of a gentle slope along the length of the bonnet would be far prettier IMO. However, apart from some true classics, I find most cars have at least some jarring notes in their styling.

But I do find the consistent feature of all generations of A5/S5's is that they tend to look wide, low and sporty when you see them on the road. I almost expect it to be something like an R8 when the car comes into view from the distance and it surprises me that it's "just an A5/S5".

Totally agree with Hot Ice re the exhaust sound. I had gathered from the internet that the C43 was simply a better sounding car. On the test drive, I was pleased to find the Audi had a satisfying deep rumble that didn't require a lot of revs or enthusiastic driving to appreciate. The idea of fiddling the valve-actuating electrics to have the "dynamic" mode on constantly is still stuck in my head, though. I'll live with the factory set-up for a while before deciding whether or not to pursue this further. I wish there was a factory sports exhaust option - or even an aftermarket option that could be fitted by the dealer to avoid any potential warranty hassles.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think we largely agree on the styling...

Originally Posted by Tony M
I try not to let looks sway me too much. I'm not entirely comfortable with the big chromy front grill and even the curved line over the front wheel arch looks a bit "overstyled" to me. The excessive curve at the front of the hood, referred to by some as a "parrot-nose" also detracts as it also does in many BMW's. (I understand it has something to do with pedestrian safety?) More of a gentle slope along the length of the bonnet would be far prettier IMO. However, apart from some true classics, I find most cars have at least some jarring notes in their styling.

But I do find the consistent feature of all generations of A5/S5's is that they tend to look wide, low and sporty when you see them on the road. I almost expect it to be something like an R8 when the car comes into view from the distance and it surprises me that it's "just an A5/S5".
The Audis are consistently lower and wider than the competition: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-8 . This is a real strength in their design, and they look distinctive at a distance as a result. Specific elements of Audi styling - and some of the influences - can be jarring. Audi are keen to point to their Bauhaus roots, and the softening influence of aerodynamics but of course want to distance themselves from fascist influences. But I think I detect a distinct element of proto-fascist futurism - especially locomotive design - in those prominent prows and over-sized grills. If somehow the prow was mandated by legislation surely the 911 would be illegal. There is clearly an appeal to naked power (and class?) here that can't be reconciled with a Kantian aesthetic. The front is neither pretty nor democratic.

Last edited by NoMoreBMWs; 02-21-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I was a sucker for the looks of the S5 from inception; I'll let the Audi purists argue over which model looks best. But I could never get over the weight, nose-heaviness or cramped interior (rear seat, trunk). Audi has made modest improvements in the weight and nose-heaviness, but the moment the far more capacious Sportback arrived in North America I was a goner. R&T calls it a "gorgeous grand tourer", C&D "unabashedly beautiful". But it's a quiet sort of beauty, all about proportions and smooth integration of simple shapes (and lines). It attracts less attention than even my 435i coupe did, let alone my M3s. Personally I like a little stealth in a car.
I am in full agreement with you. I complained about how heavy the nose was, how the engine is so far ahead of the axle, how every Audi understeered. When I drove the S5, I was pleasantly surprised how far the car had come. The sport differential does a great job of transferring torque to the outside wheel to help the car rotate. My only gripe is the wheel could be a tad weightier. The B9 S5 is probably the best looking car in the segment. I also agree that flying it flies under the radar which is a huge bonus. We'll see if that changes with the next generation 4 series around the corner, but with the way BMW design is going, I'm not betting on it.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:38 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
The Audis are consistently lower and wider than the competition: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-8 . This is a real strength in their design, and they look distinctive at a distance as a result. Specific elements of Audi styling - and some of the influences - can be jarring. Audi are keen to point to their Bauhaus roots, and the softening influence of aerodynamics but of course want to distance themselves from fascist influences. But I think I detect a distinct element of proto-fascist futurism - especially locomotive design - in those prominent prows and over-sized grills. If somehow the prow was mandated by legislation surely the 911 would be illegal. There is clearly an appeal to naked power (and class?) here that can't be reconciled with a Kantian aesthetic. The front is neither pretty nor democratic.
whoa... now that is an interesting bit of psychological design interpretation. Entirely subjective perhaps, but quite interesting none the less.

Thx for giving me some new terms to research this eve whilst the Frau watches this year's (not very exciting) Olympics.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well N8...

Originally Posted by N8!
whoa... now that is an interesting bit of psychological design interpretation. Entirely subjective perhaps, but quite interesting none the less.

Thx for giving me some new terms to research this eve whilst the Frau watches this year's (not very exciting) Olympics.
Some of it is history. Dr. Erwin Komenda, designer of the Auto Union GP cars, was a noted futurist.

https://iedeiblog.com/2011/11/28/los...e-52-supercar/
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Those type 52 sketches are amazing. If I saw them without knowing what they were, and tried to relate them to a current marque, I like to think I'd pick Audi. There are definite hints of the R8 IMO.

Now off to google "proto-fascist futurism". The link to locomotive design certainly resonates. I love it when an internet forum presents ideas as well as info and becomes thought-provoking as well as educational.