Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel Guide....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes ZERO sense to me as well...
Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does my $23,000 when new, 2011 GTI have a sporty, red stitched, fat leather flat bottom Steering wheel. Yet my wife's $51,000, 2018 S5 sport back S line does not.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I PM'd to Audi DE on FB and asked about them directly why the flat bottom wheel isn't heated. Here is their reply back:

"Hello Nate, we have information that the sportier steering wheel with the flat lower section cannot be heated. This also applies to several models sold in Germany, including the Audi R8 and the Audi TT RS. We have not received information on why that is the case but we will investigate with our colleagues from the technical department and will write you as soon as we have more. Greetings from Ingolstadt"
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone install one of these yet? I had a full alcantara Ford Factory steering wheel on my 2016 Mustang GT and absolutely loved it. Would love to get the same for my A5 SB. It was super easy to install and curious if I need anything special for the Audi. (crazy these are more than double the price of my factory Ford one. Can't imagine there is that much difference in quality.)

Alex@Europrice.us - Are these factory Audi steering wheels? Also can you share the installation instructions?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

These are all genuine wheels. The custom wheels start with a new genuine Audi wheel as well.

Installation isn't terrible. The hardest part is unclipping the airbag as Audi uses a spring loaded attachment system. I find a 6mm allen key works best for popping those clips free. Once the airbag is free, two plugs to undo and then an M12 twelve point bolt is undone (a Torx T55 also undoes this bolt). Slide old wheel off, new wheel on, tighten bolt, plug in airbag and push into place until it clips. Around 30 minutes.

Cheers,

Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
These are all genuine wheels. The custom wheels start with a new genuine Audi wheel as well.

Installation isn't terrible. The hardest part is unclipping the airbag as Audi uses a spring loaded attachment system. I find a 6mm allen key works best for popping those clips free. Once the airbag is free, two plugs to undo and then an M12 twelve point bolt is undone (a Torx T55 also undoes this bolt). Slide old wheel off, new wheel on, tighten bolt, plug in airbag and push into place until it clips. Around 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Should be noted that, whenever working with the airbag, it's best to disconnect the battery first. With newer Audis, you can simply disconnect the NEGATIVE cable from the battery, then wait 10-15 minutes for full discharge. Disconnecting the negative terminal means your vehicle will retain all settings.

Also, to aid in releasing the clips from the back of the steering wheel, I find using my mobile device camera in 'selfie mode', resting against the instrument cluster (back to the gauges ... this helps you see what you're doing.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Custom steering wheel products have been adjusted to allow you to price the wheels out without waiting for a quote!

Custom Flat-Bottom Steering Wheels - (Fully customized wheels, carbon, leather choice, 12 o'clock stripe, carbon center trim, etc)

Custom Flat-Bottom Multi-Function Steering Wheel Package

(Fully customized to your specifications)

Now you can just visit the page above and use the drop down menus to price out the wheel exactly as you want it, no waiting for a quote.

If anyone has any questions or specific requests with custom built steering wheels don't hesitate to inquire via PM or email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers!

Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Now all wheels have the choice of changing badges!

With some very gentle work a damage free method of swapping badges on the all-leather wheel offerings has been perfected. This allows you to match the proper badging for your application so you don't have to get that sinking feeling when you see mismatched badges in the interior...

A5, S5, RS5 B9 '17+ Steering Wheels

If you have any questions or needs other than those posted above please don't hesitate to PM or email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the S smooth flat bottom wheel. One problem is that the surfaces facing me are sharp edged and very hard, to the point that it was causing lingering pain from resting my hands against it. I had to adapt by moving my hands to the sides and gripping it tighter to keep them at the 9/3 positions.
I might be interested if any of these examples have a flatter face on the rim with more padding, and if I could re-use my existing airbag.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Waggin
I have the S smooth flat bottom wheel. One problem is that the surfaces facing me are sharp edged and very hard, to the point that it was causing lingering pain from resting my hands against it. I had to adapt by moving my hands to the sides and gripping it tighter to keep them at the 9/3 positions.
I might be interested if any of these examples have a flatter face on the rim with more padding, and if I could re-use my existing airbag.
All the wheels that would reuse your stock airbag are the same shape/thickness. Only the TT Mk3 upgrades offered have a different shape/thickness, but it would be a more costly changed because the airbag must be changed too.

Quick Reply: Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel Guide....