Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Google Earth/Google Street View going away...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

This is distressing news as I plan on keeping the car after the lease and I structured the lease to have a below market price buyout. Hopefully they will come up with a solution otherwise I may just have to do the buyout and then sale it on my own.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Well, I am days away from ordering an S5 SB for European delivery in May but this makes me rethink everything. Do I wait a few more months for the 2019's or maybe Audi will come to their senses and release an update for the 2018's. I find it hard to believe that a hardware upgrade is needed as they claim. I'd like to hear the exact technical reason why new hardware is needed. It's more likely that a software update would take care of it but they don't want to bother with it, unless enough owners complain.

I'm not even sure I would subscribe to these Google services anyway but if I have to wait a few more months for the 2019, maybe I'll just wait and then I'll still have all my options available as I keep cars for a long time. My dealer is looking into this and I'm curious to hear what they come up with.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I'va always thought the Google Earth imagery without actual google traffic/nav/directions was dumb and seems like a stop-gap measure, almost like the Virtual Cockpit was ready before their real traffic solution was, and they had to do this just to show off VC. I'd like to think optimistically that they have something better in the works, even if it doesn't benefit my vehicle, but I'm not sure who is going to want anything besides Google Maps. Financially, this is going to cause their Audi Connect subscriptions to plumet, which you would think they would know. If they have a better system, take my money, if not, I think they realize this is going to kill Audi Connect...
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been looking at a few 2019 order guides and there isn't a single word about Google Earth in them. Is Audi taking care of the problem by completely getting rid of the feature?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been looking at a few 2019 order guides and there isn't a single word about Google Earth in them. Is Audi taking care of the problem by completely getting rid of the feature?
There was no mention of Google Earth in the 2018 order guide, either. It's just one feature in Audi connect PRIME, and that's the only item listed in the 2018 order guide.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I am curious as to what will happen with the RS5 Sportback as it will be a MY19 car and Audi says that MY19+ should have this issue fixed. That would leave the RS5 coupe on the old system if that is true.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Parsing the words in the footnote, it doesn't say that MY19 and later *will* have this feature, only that MY18 and older *won't*, and there aren't any MY19 models on sale yet. They could enable it for all MY19s, only some of them, or drop it entirely.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

It's just a picture of satellite view. Its worthless and the nav in the car sucks compared to smartphone nav.

There I said it.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Parsing the words in the footnote, it doesn't say that MY19 and later *will* have this feature, only that MY18 and older *won't*, and there aren't any MY19 models on sale yet. They could enable it for all MY19s, only some of them, or drop it entirely.
The response I got from Audi earlier this year mentions a solution is in the works but it's worded in such a way that they're not promising anything:

"Audi vehicles were manufactured to support Google Earth overlay, but Google has since created a new software update in which the hardware in older vehicles will no longer be compatible with. Audi has taken steps to manufacture hardware that is compatible with the new software in MY19 and newer vehicles. We do not have information pertaining to a possible upgrade or replacement for 2018 and previous years that will support this new update."
Old 07-14-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesnt matter anymore. your phones google maps satellite view is now an option in the car. just select it from the menu on the left. audi can rip someone else off now.

Quick Reply: Google Earth/Google Street View going away...?