Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Google Earth/Google Street View going away...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Thank you, MH62 — I logged in and found that page but I’m guessing you have “inside info” about the version of MMI installed?

— John
That part I got here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25517450

I don't know where he got it from.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Setup my 6 month free trial of audi connect prime and plus. Seems to be working , my account profile shows green check marks as active , and i can see weather etc. However Google earth just says please wait while activating and never finishes. Am I missing something?

Last edited by BostonS5sb; 11-25-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonS5sb
Setup my 6 month free trial of audi connect prime and plus. Seems to be working , my account profile shows green check makes as active , and i can see weather etc. However Google earth just says please wait while activating and never finishes. Am I missing something?
1) What year and model do you have

2) What revision of the MMI Media Driver is in your car?
2a) If your MMI revision is 1320 then you are hosed as far as Google Earth or it’s replacement satellite images.
3) This linked document will help to explain the issues and your options Google Earth & Updates.

— John
Old 11-25-2020, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

1) What year and model do you have

2) What revision of the MMI Media Driver is in your car?
2a) If your MMI revision is 1320 then you are hosed as far as Google Earth or it’s replacement satellite images.
3) This linked document will help to explain the issues and your options Google Earth & Updates.

— John
1. 2018 S5 Sportback

2.Media Drivers version starts with CLU7_
Software Version says 0918.

Is this a really outdated verison of the system? I tried System Update and Online update (after activating free Audi Connect plus trial) and it just sits at downloading 1 of 2 and no progress
Old 11-25-2020, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Is this a really outdated verison of the system? I tried System Update and Online update (after activating free Audi Connect plus trial) and it just sits at downloading 1 of 2 and no progress
That will only update the maps, you cant update system firmware OTA. And yes, there is at least a couple of firmware releases since 0918 (1178 and 1316?)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

suspected it was just map.

So how do I access the main MMI update? I thought I had saw on here that I need to get it from myaudi website or app?

I am trying to setup myaudi and I am finding it a painful experience. They have really made it a mess of an experience. I was able to fairly easily sign up, setup my VIN and get logged in via the web, linked financing, saw vehicle service history, set preferred service dealer - cool.........However now I am trying to figure out this Key account users thing with 17 steps to get a user setup to see vehicle info? (ridiculous), the mobile app won't take my known good PW or reset PW and now says it is locked, meanwhile my audi website continues to let me login just fine. Audi chat says "wait 12 hours and try again". horrible.

Last edited by BostonS5sb; 11-25-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

suspected it was just map.

So how do I access the main MMI update? I thought I had saw on here that I need to get it from myaudi website or app?

I am trying to setup myaudi and I am finding it a painful experience. They have really made it a mess of an experience. I was able to fairly easily sign up, setup my VIN and get logged in via the web, linked financing, saw vehicle service history, set preferred service dealer - cool.........However now I am trying to figure out this Key account users thing with 17 steps to get a user setup to see vehicle info? (ridiculous), the mobile app won't take my known good PW or reset PW and now says it is locked, meanwhile my audi website continues to let me login just fine. Audi chat says "wait 12 hours and try again". horrible.
MMI software update is done at your Audi Service Center. Depending on a number of factors, you may / may not be able to get the update. If you click on the link in Post 83 in this thread, it will show you the specific Audi years, models and MMI software revisions that MAY be able to be updated. Just know that you HAVE to have an active AudiConnectPRIME subscription to get this update done for free. I strongly suggest you read the entire TSB that the link opens up. It does look like your version of the MMI is able to handle the update provided you have an active AudiConnectPRIME account. However, only your Audi dealer can confirm this 100%.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 11-25-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

MMI software update is done at your Audi Service Center. Depending on a number of factors, you may / may not be able to get the update. If you click on the link in Post 83 in this thread, it will show you the specific Audi years, models and MMI software revisions that MAY be able to be updated. Just know that you HAVE to have an active AudiConnectPRIME subscription to get this update done for free. I strongly suggest you read the entire TSB that the link opens up. It does look like your version of the MMI is able to handle the update provided you have an active AudiConnectPRIME account. However, only your Audi dealer can confirm this 100%.

— John
Thanks John.Fortunately I have a service scheduled and will get this looked at. CRAZY that you need an active audi connect subscription to get firmware updated on a factory warrantied vehicle. Also fortunately I have a 6 month trial I just started. Are they really getting 199 bucks for it? Wont pay anywhere close to that especially if Google earth or similar stops working in Dec. Just wanted to try it out because it sounds like a cool feature .
Old 11-25-2020, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Are they really getting 199 bucks for it? Wont pay anywhere close to that especially if Google earth or similar stops working in Dec. Just wanted to try it out because it sounds like a cool feature .
Indeed, Audi Connect is way over priced for what it is. The $199 you mention is for 6 months, it's a whooping $499 for 18 months.

Audi says: Connect PRIME® Featuring services such as Google Earth™⁷ and traffic information, PRIMEł can help you make well-informed decisions. My answer: So can WAZE in Apple CarPlay for a small amount of data.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Thanks John.Fortunately I have a service scheduled and will get this looked at. CRAZY that you need an active audi connect subscription to get firmware updated on a factory warrantied vehicle. Also fortunately I have a 6 month trial I just started. Are they really getting 199 bucks for it? Wont pay anywhere close to that especially if Google earth or similar stops working in Dec. Just wanted to try it out because it sounds like a cool feature .

My final suggestion is to tell your Service Advisor that you are talking about Audi TSB 2060681 / 1

Be Prepared!

— John
The following users liked this post:
BostonS5sb (11-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Google Earth/Google Street View going away...?