Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That did it! Despite the fact that I just updated Google Maps about two hours ago, when I just went to App Store and searched, there was another update available. Thanks very much everyone!!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thracer
But now I'm curious, how did you get What's App and CBS News to show up in the white area? I don't see those on mine anywhere and maybe I need to do the same thing to get those.
I didn't do anything special. I already had the apps installed and I suspect that they were added to CarPlay during an update at some point. I looked back over the version history of WhatsApp and don't see it specifically mentioned in release notes.

Originally Posted by thracer
That did it! Despite the fact that I just updated Google Maps about two hours ago, when I just went to App Store and searched, there was another update available. Thanks very much everyone!!
Glad it's working for you!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

How to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay

1. Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Google Maps version 5.0 or higher
  2. Open Settings
  3. Tap General then CarPlay
  4. Choose your vehicle
  5. Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Google Maps, and move it to the Home screen
Here’s how the process looks:

After choosing your vehicle you can move Apple Maps to the second page of apps if you’d like. Then swipe over to see Google Maps as an option, tap, hold and slide it to the Home screen as shown below.

CarPlay will offer Waze as another navigation option, but it is still limited to a limited TestFlight private beta for now.

Full Article At 9to5Mac.com

Last edited by Nikon1; 09-18-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Finally the usefulness of Carplay is catching up to its promise. I went in the car and fiddled with the interface and what I would give to have a touchscreen capabilities on that screen as well as MMI. So much twisting of that **** to move around and activate functions. Endless twisting and clicking. It would be fantastic if Audi made a running change to the B9 line to include that.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
Finally the usefulness of Carplay is catching up to its promise. I went in the car and fiddled with the interface and what I would give to have a touchscreen capabilities on that screen as well as MMI. So much twisting of that **** to move around and activate functions. Endless twisting and clicking. It would be fantastic if Audi made a running change to the B9 line to include that.
Agreed - a touchscreen in addition to (NOT replacing) would be nice - but not really a big deal as both Google Maps and Waze (I’m in the beta) have voice control.

One cool thing is that I can run Google Maps and the MMI Nav at the same time. So I can have Google Maps on the main MMI screen and Audi NAV with Google Overlay in the virtual cockpit and turn info from Audi Nav in the HUD.

Google Maps also runs even a little smoother on the main screen than the MMI Google overlay (very slight jitter on that). Google Maps does have one slight graphic glitch - some street names seem to “shimmer” a little due to smaller font sizes.

Last edited by Jon63; 09-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon63
Agreed - a touchscreen in addition to (NOT replacing) would be nice - but not really a big deal as both Google Maps and Waze (I’m in the beta) have voice control.
Yeah, it's not the voice control, its the control of the of the other features/options like choosing a different route from the one that Google Maps primarily recommends, moving the map around, zoom in/out, etc. Those are klugey without the touchscreen option.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
Yeah, it's not the voice control, its the control of the of the other features/options like choosing a different route from the one that Google Maps primarily recommends, moving the map around, zoom in/out, etc. Those are klugey without the touchscreen option.
That’s true - maybe they can turn on the touch pad functionality on the MMI controller to allow panning and selection, pinch zoom, etc., (though I doubt that will happen given the top view camera persistence still isn’t fixed). Still nice to have Google Maps and Waze for free!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon63

One cool thing is that I can run Google Maps and the MMI Nav at the same time. So I can have Google Maps on the main MMI screen and Audi NAV with Google Overlay in the virtual cockpit and turn info from Audi Nav in the HUD.

Google Maps also runs even a little smoother on the main screen than the MMI Google overlay (very slight jitter on that). Google Maps does have one slight graphic glitch - some street names seem to “shimmer” a little due to smaller font sizes.
Interesting. I remember that there was some special sequence that some folks could go through to get the map to show up on the VC, but I imagine that nav directions could diverge and that could get pretty confusing. I agree that the satellite overview is smoother in CarPlay than it was with Audi Connect, and it seems sharper to me. I also see the shimmer in street names from time to time.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

How to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay

1. Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Google Maps version 5.0 or higher
  2. Open Settings
  3. Tap General then CarPlay
  4. Choose your vehicle
  5. Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Google Maps, and move it to the Home screen
Here’s how the process looks:

After choosing your vehicle you can move Apple Maps to the second page of apps if you’d like. Then swipe over to see Google Maps as an option, tap, hold and slide it to the Home screen as shown below.

CarPlay will offer Waze as another navigation option, but it is still limited to a limited TestFlight private beta for now.

Full Article At 9to5Mac.com

Thank you for posting the info.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When using Google Maps on Car Play... can you use the phone to enter address etc?

Quick Reply: Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now