Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Heads Up display with Tinted front window?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tint reduces a lot of headlight glare from oncoming traffic. I also have the brightness turned down on my HUD.

Last edited by Brandyn; 11-22-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that the HUD is easier to view with a tinted windshield (i have 80% on my S5 and none on the Q5). This could be because I wear my sunglasses les often in the S5 due to the tint.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default As long as it's legal in GA....

Originally Posted by paulhiggs
I find that the HUD is easier to view with a tinted windshield (i have 80% on my S5 and none on the Q5). This could be because I wear my sunglasses les often in the S5 due to the tint.
But WTF would you want to do something that just gives an LEO grounds to pull you over? Geez....
For the most part what I like(d) about Audi was the ability to fly below the radar. That's getting less and less possible although the S8 is still pretty low key.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Aaaand you WILL get pulled over in VA and

Originally Posted by My05S4
If you're a cancer patient and you're not allowed to be in the sunlight, you may want to have your windshield tinted state depending. You must get a waiver from your DMV, and they'll send you registration for Sun Shading. You must have your doctor sign the waiver form. I'm in Virginia.
asked to show your papers! And what about anyone else driving your car? The waiver is for you and the car, but otherwise it's a hassle. Life is about avoiding hassles, especially with people that carry guns.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
asked to show your papers! And what about anyone else driving your car? The waiver is for you and the car, but otherwise it's a hassle. Life is about avoiding hassles, especially with people that carry guns.
In my case, I carry a “Free-Get-Out-Of-Jail-Card” next to my registration & insurance card, due to my eyesight condition in daylight. And, as far as anyone else driving my car; after owning my car for 18 months, the only other person who has driven my car is the lot person at my dealership.

My wife has ZERO interest in getting behind the Audi’s wheel.

— John
The following users liked this post:
NJS5 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by paulhiggs
I just talked with the shop that did the rest of the windows — looks like X-pel xr ir 80% is what I’m going with as well.

— John
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Windshield tint is illegal in the State of Florida. I am OK with that. No way that windshield tint doesn't reduce forward vision.

Florida Statures
.316.2952 Windshields; requirements; restrictions.—
(1) A windshield in a fixed and upright position, which windshield is equipped with safety glazing as required by federal safety-glazing material standards, is required on every motor vehicle which is operated on the public highways, roads, and streets, except on a motorcycle or implement of husbandry.
(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street with any sign, sunscreening material, product, or covering attached to, or located in or upon, the windshield, except the following:
(a) A certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law.
(b) Sunscreening material along a strip at the top of the windshield, so long as such material is transparent and does not encroach upon the driver’s direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No. 205 as the AS/1 portion of the windshield.
(c) A device, issued by a governmental entity as defined in s. 334.03, or its designee, for the purpose of electronic toll payments.
(d) A global positioning system device or similar satellite receiver device which uses the global positioning system operated pursuant to 10 U.S.C. s. 2281 for the purpose of obtaining navigation or routing
Old 11-24-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a hard enough time seeing in the night as is
Old 11-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Slides
I have a hard enough time seeing in the night as is
That sounds like a problem for you, specifically — When I looked through my installers windshield last night when he offered to show me just how much of a difference it makes at night, with on-coming traffic on the Black Horse Pike, I was amazed at the minimal loss due to the 80% tint — but it seemed to reduce the glare of on-coming headlights.

As always — YMMV and you need to do what works for you.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
dafantom (11-26-2019), NJS5 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
That sounds like a problem for you, specifically — When I looked through my installers windshield last night when he offered to show me just how much of a difference it makes at night, with on-coming traffic on the Black Horse Pike, I was amazed at the minimal loss due to the 80% tint — but it seemed to reduce the glare of on-coming headlights.

As always — YMMV and you need to do what works for you.

— John
When I did my windshield, I was only thinking about how it would prevent the Texas heat. I never thought about visibility and how it would cut down on glare. Just greatness!
The following 3 users liked this post by arrtewwx:
dafantom (11-26-2019), dallasdelerium (07-26-2020), NJS5 (11-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Heads Up display with Tinted front window?