Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 SQ5 homelink programmed quickly to my Chamberlain LW9000WF opener when the car was in the garage.

My problem has been seen by others, which is that the homelink range is terrible. When my car was in the garage, or was just outside the garage door AND the garage door was open, the Audi homelink would trigger the door to move. But outside the garage door and the door was CLOSED, the homelink signal would not get thru the aluminum-clad door to the opener's antenna.

For that case, where programming is NOT the issue but signal strength is, I got and installed
Amazon Amazon
It relocates the opener's antenna to outside the door, so the weak homelink signal doesn't have to get through the garage door. Distance is still not great, but I didn't want to carry a separate clip-on opener remote.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an update about the HomeLink issue:

I just got a call from my dealer - they were contacted by Audi North America regarding the case I opened with HomeLink. Car is going in next Wednesday and they'll be working with the techs at Audi NA to figure out / fix it. Sounds like they have a service bulletin out (or are in the process of making one) and hopefully I have good news for you all next week. Looks like I'm the guinea pig on this one!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Just an update about the HomeLink issue:...hopefully I have good news for you all next week
Eager to hear the outcome!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also eager to hear the outcome.
I have a Craftsman with a "yellow" learn light. Irregardless of what method is used to program it to the cars homelink, after a bout a week of so it simply does not operate it anymore. I can back out of the garage, close the door with the homelink, drive down the street, turn around and approach the door try to open it and it won't. Dealer was mystified and the tech poo poo'd it when I told him about all the folks on the forum who were having probs etc. I pressed the dealer and they did contact Audi NA and they are now having me run thru all these tests so I think you're right in that they may be issuing a TSB soon. One can only hope. Passengers laugh when they see the remote from the garage door clipped to the visor.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Backw/Audi
Also eager to hear the outcome.
I have a Craftsman with a "yellow" learn light. Irregardless of what method is used to program it to the cars homelink, after a bout a week of so it simply does not operate it anymore. I can back out of the garage, close the door with the homelink, drive down the street, turn around and approach the door try to open it and it won't. Dealer was mystified and the tech poo poo'd it when I told him about all the folks on the forum who were having probs etc. I pressed the dealer and they did contact Audi NA and they are now having me run thru all these tests so I think you're right in that they may be issuing a TSB soon. One can only hope. Passengers laugh when they see the remote from the garage door clipped to the visor.
Was it Seattle Audi? They knew about this since August when I took delivery of the car. Until there is a fix, the best bet will be what Scoopman did with the alternative frequency add on, or just carry a garage door clicker.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KarKid
Was it Seattle Audi? They knew about this since August when I took delivery of the car. Until there is a fix, the best bet will be what Scoopman did with the alternative frequency add on, or just carry a garage door clicker.
Yup, it is Audi of Seattle. I took delivery in August and reported the problem to them in October. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Backw/Audi
Yup, it is Audi of Seattle. I took delivery in August and reported the problem to them in October. Fingers crossed.
They knew about it by then. Joe at service and Mike the head tech both knew I had trouble with it. (See the first post of this thread). Mike and I even sat in one of they brand new a5 in the lot and it wouldn’t recognize my garage opener.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I've been dealing with Derek as the service writer so far and he's been very responsive. Don't remember the tech's name but will mention your two guys if they can't figure it out.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Adding another frequency to garage opener

Since I started this thread, I thought I'd provide what I did to my garage opener. Thank you to Scoopman for finding the add-on garage door kit. Seeing that this thread has been viewed more than 7000 times (from Aug 2017) and still no solution from AudiUSA, plus I got sick and tired of carrying a clicker in the car, I decided to do what Scoopman did this weekend. Once the kit is installed, programing homelink was a breeze, just like any other cars I had before. MMI recognizes the remote immediately and programmed to the car without any issue. Essentially, I now have two frequency running to my garage door. I didn't have to change anything on my existing remotes/cars. The add-on kit provides another frequency just for the S5. If you don't want to carry a clicker and don't want to wait for Audi to come out with a fix, this is the way to go!

Bought it on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

Got this kit from Amazon
Wiring isn't difficult at all.
I double sided taped the add-on receiver and cable tied to a plastic pipe nearby. Too lazy to pull out the stud finder.
Use this included remote to program Homelink in S5
Old 11-27-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I took delivery of my S5 Sportback on Nov 13 My car has been operating my garage door since day one.