Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLQTRO
Pulling the fuse is not required for all openers, just specific models like the Chamberlain (also Craftsman) with the purple button.
I know, I was just confirming that systems on 390Mhz don't need to pull the fuse.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
I just programmed my new car, 2019 RS5 SB, to my Genie 1024 model opener (its a 390MhZ system) and it took all of 5 minutes to do the 2 doors without pulling any fuses. Went to the MMI, clicked on Program Button 1, when the prompt came up to point the remote at the mirror I instead pointed it at the rear bumper. Soon it asked for the synchronization prompt, I selected Yes, and then - this was the part not mentioned in the MMI walk through - I pressed the learn button on the opener - and then pressed button 1 in the car a few times and the door moved.
The side assist should not interfere with 390 MHz systems, eliminating the need to pull a fuse. It also worked perfectly on my 390 MHz system.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

June 2019 and this is still an issue. I first tried turning it off and that still didn't work so I had to end up pulling the fuses but finally was able to program my homelink. No fault codes after either...at least so far. Thanks for the guidance!
Old 06-16-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

After much frustration, pulled the fuse and was done pairing in about 3 minutes. No faults as far as I know
Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I finally “got around” to syncing the in-car buttons to our operators — LiftMaster 3550W / Yellow button & antennas — and I did not pull any fuses on the Audi, just pressed the LiftMaster “learn” button and the button in the Audi. So far no problems but I still like the range on the LiftMaster supplied units better.

— John
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Two days with homelink working, and range is about what I've always had.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works!!! I spend several hours trying to get it working!!! Finally I removed the fuse and got Homelink to work in a few seconds!!

Thanks so much for posting.
I have a 2019 Q5 Prestige and a Linear Garage door opener!!

Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2019 Audi RS5 sportback - Garage door opener is "Linear" brand which on the opener says 318 MHz. Tried for months to set up Homelink with the same problems everyone else had, could not get the remote to register.

Can confirm fuse pulling works for this type of garage door opener as well. Car off - pull fuse with some needle nose pliers - car on (side assist error messages pop up) - go to settings and program remote through MMI - tested and it works - turn car off - reinstall fuse - Thank FrankS5 again.

Interesting that Audi hasn't fixed this yet...
The following users liked this post:
FrankS5 (08-15-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WV-RS5
2019 Audi RS5 sportback - Garage door opener is "Linear" brand which on the opener says 318 MHz. Tried for months to set up Homelink with the same problems everyone else had, could not get the remote to register.

Can confirm fuse pulling works for this type of garage door opener as well. Car off - pull fuse with some needle nose pliers - car on (side assist error messages pop up) - go to settings and program remote through MMI - tested and it works - turn car off - reinstall fuse - Thank FrankS5 again.

Interesting that Audi hasn't fixed this yet...
Yeah, really surprising that this hasn't been fixed via a software update isn't it. If the car is in Park, and the garage doors are being programmed, it should be a no-brainer for the car to temporarily turn off the proximity sensors during programming. Even with removing my fuse, I could only get one of my garage doors to program and they are the exact same brand (Guardian).
Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pull the fuse!!

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Ok everyone, I know this is the (anti-climactic) post you've all been waiting for!

Took my car to the dealership this morning - they worked with Audi TAC all morning and have a "fix" (I use this term loosely and you'll see why) that does allow successful programming and operation of the Security+ (purple button/antenna) garage door openers. The reason the remote can't program is because of interference from the lane change / blind spot assist radar in the rear of the car. Here's the workaround (and I'll preface this by saying do this at your own risk. The tech did have to clear fault codes out from the computer, so I'm not sure if those were caused by performing these steps, or other troubleshooting they performed):

1. Make sure the car is off
2. Pull the fuse for the lane change / blind spot assist (it's already out in the pic, but the spot is circled). It is the 4th fuse from the bottom in the rear driver-side fuse panel in the trunk. It's an orange 5 amp fuse, located directly above a 7.5 amp fuse.
3. Go through the programming process and sync the opener (we initially had to back the car into the driveway so it would be closer to the opener since the transmitter is near the rear bumper)
4. Test it out a few times
5. Turn off the car
6. Put the fuse back in.

I opened and closed mine about 5 times, and had descent range. So far it seems to work. In a perfect world, I'm guessing Audi would update the car's software to disable the radar during programming (that would be my ideal fix at least), but I guess we wait and see. I don't have any paperwork yet, so I can't reference and type of bulletin number or anything.
Who ever you are.... thank you! This is the quickest and most simplest fix for the purple button problem. My 2018 A5 Sportback is programed!!
The following users liked this post:
FrankS5 (08-15-2019)