Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How Do You Like Your Head-Up Display?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it, but could live without it more than adaptive cruise control and top view camera which make the car twice as good to me.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Not even an option... HUD was a must have for me. After having a Corvette for 12 years with the HUD, I don't think I could buy any car now that did not have it. Having the current speed limit right above your current speed is really nice and with the navigation system active it will also show you upcoming turns right in the windshield which is really nice.

Also, in my opinion, the DAP is a must have as well. I use the adaptive cruise control almost daily. On long drives like today where I was driving form the city to the coast on a 2 lane road (one lane in each direction) with a 55 mph speed limit, I could set it at 60 mph and when the car in front of me slowed to 52 mph, the car adjusted accordingly. Then when that driver suddenly decided they should speed up, the S5 sped up too (up to the 60 mph I had set it to). I also use it on roads that I know are heavily speed enforced in town so that the car will stay at the speed limit and slow or stop if the car in front of me does. The only thing it will not react to is red lights if there is nobody in front of you. However, once stopped at a red light even if there is not someone in front of me, I will sometimes engage the system so it will hold the car stopped (kinda like a brake hold feature), and then when the light turns green I can either hit the resume button or tap the gas pedal to get the car going on cruise control.Another feature of DAP is traffic assist where it will take care of the stop and go associated with a daily city commute on a busy freeway. I am really impressed on how well the system works, but fortunately I am not in stop and go traffic that often so i have limited experience with it.

With DAP you also get high beam assist which is really nice on back country roads like I have here. It will turn on the high beams when there is nobody in front of you or coming at you and then as soon as it sees someone with oncoming lights or tail lights in front of you it will switch back to low beams automatically. The system works incredibly well, and I am really glad I have it.

Then to top it off you get traffic sign recognition and lane keep assist with DAP. The traffic sign recognition is nice to have since that is where the speed limit info is coming from and the lane keep assist is nice in some situations once you get to trust it.

In the end, only you can decide what's right for you. However, I think the HUD and DAP make the car a lot nicer to drive and does not add that much cost to the overall price of the car.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All true. But evidently almost no one gets adaptive cruise control. Of course it depends on the model of Audi. Out of 160 A3s within 150 miles of me, only one has it. On A4, there are like three of them. And of course they are not with the other options I want.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
All true. But evidently almost no one gets adaptive cruise control. Of course it depends on the model of Audi. Out of 160 A3s within 150 miles of me, only one has it. On A4, there are like three of them. And of course they are not with the other options I want.
I found that too, which is why I ordered my car so I could get exactly what I wanted. It did take almost 4 months, but I wasn't in a time crunch to get a new car so it was no problem and now I have exactly what I wanted and I don't get in it and say, "I wish it had ......"
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Plow...that name again Mr. Plow is spot on on all of his points. Just picked up my A5 SB last week. The heads up display is one of the most useful features. Especially the speedometer/speed limit sign detector and the navigation directions. The navigation has a meter that shows how soon the turn, exit, etc. is approaching. I recommend it highly.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Once I found out the HUD was an option only on the S5 prestige, I knew what I was getting. I love the HUD!
My salesman didn't explain to me that I only got speed limit info in the heads up with the DAP, and of course that is the one option I didn't get. So I blame him. Moral of the story make sure you get DAP and HUD, oh and everything else :-)

Last edited by 3cat; 10-05-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3cat
Once I found out the HUD was an option only on the S5 prestige, I knew what I was getting. I love the HUD!
My salesman didn't explain to me that I only got speed limit info in the heads up with the DAP, and of course that is the one option I didn't get. So I blame him. Moral of the story make sure you get DAP and HUD, oh and everything else :-)
I feel if you can afford to upgrade to Prestige - you should get DAP regardless. If you don't use it, fantastic. However, the $1800 (?) it costs is fairly nominal if you EVER do decide to use. I too love seeing the speed limit that is posted in my HUD.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some Audis have DAP included in Prestige. Some don’t.

The adaptive cruise control and self steering is 10x more important to me than the HUD.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Some Audis have DAP included in Prestige. Some don’t.

The adaptive cruise control and self steering is 10x more important to me than the HUD.
I have to pay separately for the DAP outside of the Prestige packace.

I'm not too excited about the adaptive cruise control... but the Traffic Jam Assist with steering sounds pretty cool, especially in LA traffic.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same thing. The ACC has auto-steering. The only difference is that below about 40 MPH, it follows the car in front of it. Above about 40 MPH, it follows the lane markings. You just need to set the lane-keep on early intervention to have it stay in the center of the lane on its own.

Not sure why on the A5 Sportback the DAP is separate, and on the A4 it is included.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-06-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: How Do You Like Your Head-Up Display?