Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How many of you tip the valet guy from the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I spent most of my career working for an international company based in Japan, and I agree with you on tipping in Japan.

I remember going to a baseball game in Tokyo — and the stadium was very big and very tall. They had these very pretty girls who had large liquid containers strapped to their backs and they would run up and down these very steep steps to deliver “adult liquid beverages” to the attendees — and containers were very heavy — but the girls would not accept tips from the fans.

It has to be a very hard and high intensity job — but they would not accept tips!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

100% a cultural thing. The guy who came to drop off my car and take back the loaner had no problem accepting the 5 that I gave him.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

No “tips” in Italy, but you can leave a euro or two, if one is inclined for very good service. You get charged a flat rate, at the table, of 2-4€ a person and it covers bread, service, etc. It’s called a “coperto” or a cover charge in English. Not every place charges a coperto. Source: me-I lived in Milan
wouldnt it be nice if the tip is included in the price of the food. You pay what is on the restaurant bill.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

wouldnt it be nice if the tip is included in the price of the food. You pay what is on the restaurant bill.
Pricing in Italy is pretty awesome, other than the 23% VAT. You pay exactly what it says (coperto is clearly indicated on the menus, often at the bottom), no calculated tax on the total, no need to calculator 15-20% tip on the subtotal, etc. Plus you don’t get rushed out of the restaurant after your meal. No one picks your plate up. You just get left alone to enjoy conversation, wine and life. I need to move back, but my German luxury car habit would get expensive!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pricing in Italy is pretty awesome, other than the 23% VAT. You pay exactly what it says (coperto is clearly indicated on the menus, often at the bottom), no calculated tax on the total, no need to calculator 15-20% tip on the subtotal, etc. Plus you don’t get rushed out of the restaurant after your meal. No one picks your plate up. You just get left alone to enjoy conversation, wine and life. I need to move back, but my German luxury car habit would get expensive!
And what if I drink a lot of water?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing
And what if I drink a lot of water?
They have that too! Still or fizzy. I go with the fizzy!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They have that too! Still or fizzy. I go with the fizzy!
In Rome the waiter asks "gas or no gas?".
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

.... Plus you don’t get rushed out of the restaurant after your meal. No one picks your plate up. You just get left alone to enjoy conversation, wine and life.

Italians, Greeks know how to enjoy life, love food, friends, good chats and are less driven. Germans in my experience are generally gruff and too business like. Brits can be friendly and chatty once they get comfortable with you. Indians in India will try to take advantage of you, they expect a tip (bakshish) for any anything, even the clerk in an office who issues a permit or document. Japanese the most polite, honest and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and working with.

Funny story - Gas no Gas for water - I first heard it back in 1996-97 in a French restaurant in Chapel Hill NC. The waiter spoke with a snooty French accent, hilariously his NC accent came out once he had to deviate from his practiced script.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Then, there's always that person that the OWL owner caught... getting her own tips....
Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A reply from a Valet Driver

Good Morning

I am one of several retirees that work part-time as valet drivers for a major Audi dealership in the northeast US.
We pick up and deliver customers vehicles to their home or office and provide them with a loaner car if requested. We confirm the work that is to be completed and do a vehicle inspection for damages.
Most of our customers are very pleasant and very happy to be saving time during their busy days. We do however also encounter customers who are difficult to deal with.
Valet drivers earn minimum wage but are responsible for properly driving very expensive cars. Our dealership chooses drivers carefully. Some of our customers are generous tippers and these are usually those who we would least expect to be. Most of our customers do not tip. In my opinion they should as we are doing them a big favor.

Quick Reply: How many of you tip the valet guy from the dealership?