Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How many of you use a Faraday shield bag for your key fobs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
What's a Faraday bag?
This.... https://www.dictionary.com/browse/faraday-cage

Old 10-25-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy

with keyless entry they don’t even need to do much. They can drive your car away without even breaking into it or your house. Why allow your car to be stolen sooo easily for the sake of putting your key in a pouch before bed?

Are you actually worried about someone stealing your car out of your damn garage. Come on, you're paranoid!

Like I said, if someone wants my car that bad they can have it and someone else will deal with that problem while I drive a new car.

Addendum:

1) last time I knew of ANYONE who had their car stolen it was freakin 1998

2) I don't live in the hood, nobody is trying to steal my car in the first place.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy
with keyless entry they don’t even need to do much. They can drive your car away without even breaking into it or your house. Why allow your car to be stolen sooo easily for the sake of putting your key in a pouch before bed?
Cannot worry about everything in life, I be damn if I have to wrap my key fob in tin foil every time I am at home. What if the thief recorded your fob signal when you get into your car and use it later to steal your car, Maybe you should start using your mechanical key to enter your car.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I do put the key in one overnight. Insurance is all very well but (in the UK at least) the theft of the car would cause a huge problems for me, and then increased insurance premiums for some years as a result of making a claim (which would never fully cover the loss). Also the car took 4 months to get made and has options that are no longer available here.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Why the hell are my posts being deleted from this forum? Not even a notice about it. I'm 100% certain that 1 hr ago there was a post from me with #22 (before GMan's 8:54am post)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
Insurance is all very well but (in the UK at least) the theft of the car would cause a huge problems for me, and then increased insurance premiums for some years as a result of making a claim (which would never fully cover the loss). Also the car took 4 months to get made and has options that are no longer available here.
Definitely agree with that. Here in the USA, theft falls under comprehensive coverage and doesn't affect one's premiums. Also a lot of folks here just walk into a dealership and pick a car from the lot. It's that instant gratification thing. Getting my car stolen would definitely be a major bummer. I custom order exactly to my liking and even do European Delivery. Not to mention that my current car is out of production now. It takes about 7 months from the time I place the order until the car sits in my driveway. Even though I get to drive it in Europe after about 5 months, it then takes another 10 weeks before it arrives in the USA after I drop it off.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If the thief really want your car, you can wrap your whole car in a Faraday bag and they can still take it. This reminds of those people with Faraday bag around their wallet and credit cards.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-25-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If the thief really want your car, you can wrap your whole car in a Faraday bag and they can still take it.
Yes, that's always true. Nothing is ever a 100% secure. Security is about layers of protection to minimize the risk of an attack, theft etc. Police officers, security personal and military commonly use the term target hardening. Thieves look for easy targets and opportunities. To minimize the risk of personal property getting stolen, make it harder to steal it and the thieves most likely move on to the next easier target. It goes for everything such as installing and arming an alarm for your house, parking the car in one's garage etc. The more layers a potential thief has to brake through, the less attractive it is for them to steal your property or brake into your house. It's just like the saying about surviving a bear attack. Make sure that you are not the slowest runner in your group . Same goes here. Make sure you are not the easiest target in your neighborhood.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-25-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, that's always true. Nothing is ever a 100% secure. Security is about layers of protection to minimize the risk of an attack, theft etc. Police officers, security personal and military commonly use the term target hardening. Thieves look for easy targets and opportunities. To minimize the risk of personal property getting stolen, make it harder to steal it and the thieves most likely move on to the next easier target. It goes for everything such as installing and arming an alarm for your house, parking the car in one's garage etc. The more layers a potential thief has to brake through, the less attractive it is for them to steal your property or brake into your house. It's just like the saying about surviving a bear attack. Make sure that you are not the slowest runner in your group . Same goes here. Make sure you are not the easiest target in your neighborhood.
You hit the right note when you said " thieves look for easy targets " I would think they rather go steal two or three Honda Accords with no alarm system and sell them for parts which should yield about the same payback on the black market as oppose to one A5.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Why the hell are my posts being deleted from this forum? Not even a notice about it. I'm 100% certain that 1 hr ago there was a post from me with #22 (before GMan's 8:54am post)
2 things. 1. We'll delete any post we see fit, we don't need to give notice or warning. 2. Many users are tired of your posting style, and are bringing things to our attention. Please refrain from posting in aggressive or argumentative ways.

For what it's worth, I didn't see anything particularly wrong with your post at face value, but looking back at some of your posts, I can see why it was reported.

Quick Reply: How many of you use a Faraday shield bag for your key fobs?