Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Issue with Start/Stop de-activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
Does the S5 not have an S mode on the gear selection? I always drive in S mode in my A5 . No stop/start.
Of course it does, but S mode is too aggressive for city driving in heavy traffic, so I use D mode more than 50% of the time.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am so use to the auto start stop it is almost seamless to me at this point.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC Comfort is what I did on my 2018 S5 SB and I've had no issues.

It really is too bad that they haven't been able to dial the system in. On my wife's 2017 Q7 the system is flawless. But on my S5 the car would shut off while it was still rolling to a stop.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

In general it doesn't bug me much--not that much traffic up here--but the one thing that does annoy me is how it stops. As others note, the damn thing will shut off while the car is still rolling, making the stop very rough like I was just learning how to drive a car with power brakes. It is really disconcerting. Not the autostop itself--hell, I rented a crappy Malibu a year or so ago that had stop/start that worked flawlessly and was butter smooth--but the jolt. Very weird.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have concern that the frequent use of the auto start/stop will lead to premature burnout of the starter motor? I'm not familiar with this feature yet as I'm still waiting for my car to be shipped.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Mile Skid
Does anyone have concern that the frequent use of the auto start/stop will lead to premature burnout of the starter motor? I'm not familiar with this feature yet as I'm still waiting for my car to be shipped.
I like the stop start. At times when I don't want it to intervene, I turn it off, pay closer attention to my brake pressure, or drop the tranny into sport mode. I have had no experience with it engaging before the car stops, so can't speak to that. Regarding started burn out, it could, but it will probably burnout during the warranty period, beyond which I likely will no longer have this car or have $1K set aside for just such an occurrence.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most cars equipped with auto start stop usually have a heavy duty starter, bigger battery and larger capacity alternator. The Europeans have been using the auto start stop system for 20 years now with no wide spread issues.

Last edited by The G Man; 04-20-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Mile Skid
I'm not concerned about the starter, but more about increasing timing chain stretch with a greater number of starts. This won't be a problem during the warranty period, so I doubt Audi is particularly concerned.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
In general it doesn't bug me much--not that much traffic up here--but the one thing that does annoy me is how it stops. As others note, the damn thing will shut off while the car is still rolling, making the stop very rough like I was just learning how to drive a car with power brakes. It is really disconcerting. Not the autostop itself--hell, I rented a crappy Malibu a year or so ago that had stop/start that worked flawlessly and was butter smooth--but the jolt. Very weird.
For me the system also seems to turn off the engine while it’s still rolling a bit, so I don’t understand how I can control it by pressing the brake even lighter. Having said that I do appreciate having it and wouldn’t turn it off, I really like how my average fuel consumption doesn’t go up while idling in traffic as a result. Suck it up people, no need to spew fumes into the air for nothing. Give it a chance.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
It's the only thing that I hate about this car. In my experience it will typically shut down the car before it is fully stopped. Terribly clunky and even a little unsafe. I've driven VWAG implementations of auto-stop-start that are 5+ years older that worked just fine, so I don't understand how Audi messed this one up so badly.

Folks who have used obdeleven to code this out, is this the product I need? https://www.amazon.com/Audi-OBD2-OBD.../dp/B00OTG9K9I

And can anybody recommend a cheapo Android device to run it on? iOS only guy over here.
I read somewhere that they will have an apple friendly version out soon if it is not out already...

Quick Reply: Issue with Start/Stop de-activation