Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Is it just me or is the AC on the S5 not that great?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I never really had issues with Audi's AC. Not sure where this perception comes from. I think some folks try to outsmart the system by adjusting it manually and end up with subpar results. It's an automatic climate control system designed to cool/heat the interior to the set temperature and then maintain it. It won't send frigid air out of the vents if not necessary. My general area where I live benefits from natural air conditioning from the Pacific Ocean, but inland and places I visit can easily get over 100F. Never had an issue and my cars are black on black and no aftermarket tint. The cabin is certainly steaming hot after leaving the car parked outside on a hot sunny day, but I've never noticed it having issues cooling the interior down and maintaining the set temperature. I typically have it set to 22C (71.6F) and lower it to 20C (68F) if I have a lot of heat stored in my body. It's important to let it control the fan speed and air flow automatically for best results. If you just want cold air, you have to turn it down to LO, otherwise it will still try to reach the set cabin temperature, but if it can't control the fan speed, because you have it set to manual it'll probably never get there.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

There is a app in OBD11 which will make the car remember the re-circulation button position before shutoff. I have always turned off the audi and the AC in all my cars before killing the engine so its become muscle memory now. When I start the car I just hit the re-circ button to start the ac and put it in re-circ mode in one go.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The S5 is one heck of a car, but the AC is lacking compare to my old BMW and Mercedes.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funnily enough I was thinking this the other day as we've had some very hot weather here in the UK the last few weeks, I think the AC is very poor on my S5 compared to previous BMW where I'd often start to get too cold after not too long, in my S5 it makes the temperature just about tolerable but the air coming out the vents is not freezing like other cars I've had. I'll be going back to BMW when my lease is up, I'm pretty unimpressed with the S5 to be frank.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Just a thought here. It seems some folks are judging the AC by how frigid the air coming out of the vents is. The thing is bombarding the occupants with freezing air is not exactly perceived as comfortable by many and it isn't actually very healthy. My wife for example doesn't like being blown at with air, so she even closes all the vents on her side and while I keep mine open, I aim them away from me. The B9 has this new air diffuser (the wide vent above the glove compartment) which is supposed to promote a more natural airflow. A lot of the modern AC systems are trying not to blow air directly at the occupants to cool down the interior and instead use a more natural airflow that is more comfortable and healthy. Do you guys who complain about the AC have the diffuser open or closed? It's controlled via the climate controls on the dash.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-09-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the diffuser closed, when it's really hot I do like the air blasting out as cold as possible, it should be about 5 degrees C or 41 for your Colonial Chaps
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I love my AC. At 70, it gives me super cold air and it does a fantastic job of cooling the cabin. Last week, we had temps at like 110 l. The S5 handled it beautifully.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just a thought here. It seems some folks are judging the AC by how frigid the air coming out of the vents is.
I judge the AC by how fast it can cool down the interior of my car, considering the S5's interior is very small, the AC in my S5 is terrible. I had big SUVs that cools down faster.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived in the Phoenix area since 1968 and know very well AC's that don't perform. All my Audi's since 2001 and right up to my 2018 S5 SB have excellent systems. Yesterday it was 110F in the shade and my S5 SB was very comfortable with the system set on auto at 72F. My windows are not tinted.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Is part of the problem coming from people manually setting their damn AC?

gotta use auto, it's 2018

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is the AC on the S5 not that great?