Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

looking for alternative to sirius radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're into electronic music: https://www.di.fm/ It's all I use.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

A couple of other things to point out: Spotify and Google Play Music will both do what you describe. Play Music will be going away soon, merged into YouTube Music (itself a pretty good service too).

I like Spotify the best. Here's why:
-- most critical mass of users and others who make great playlists
-- Spotify has very good machine learning to create auto playlists the more you listen
-- Spotify has interesting playlists that are auto-generated, such as "discover weekly" of interesting music based on your interests on Mondays, 3 daily mixes of music it knows you'll like, a retro playlist, a release radar one of only new music you will like, etc.
-- Spotify has an "artist playlist" for any artist you want, and it will also create a playlist based upon any song you give it.
-- Spotify will download whatever playlists you instruct it to while you are on Wifi. If you have a phone with decent storage (esp an Android with an SD card for example) you can grab hours of music. These playlists can include the auto-generated ones I mention above. Then, you can instruct Spotify to only use songs that are downloaded so you use none of your mobile data. All of the other services I've used are not as easy to do this.
-- All of the above services work great on Android Auto, and even if you use MMI for navigation, you can control playing all of your offline playlists on the screen using AA.

I never quite understood the value proposition of SiriusXM -- it seems very expensive for what it is (and requires you to haggle with them every so often).
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Otherwise you'll have to go old school and listen to AM/FM radio.
Old-Old school is my first car which had an AM radio and aftermarket 8-track player.lol

Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
Old-Old school is my first car which had an AM radio and aftermarket 8-track player.lol

Me too...was it a Craig?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:32 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
Me too...was it a Craig?
of course!

No Radio Shack (Realistic) junk in my Gran Torino
Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

N8, my old-old-school was a used 1959 VW bug purchased in 1966. I added a Craig 8-track player in 1968 as a college graduation present to myself. Now that was an advanced (but crappy) sound system!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by steverl
N8, my old-old-school was a used 1959 VW bug purchased in 1966. I added a Craig 8-track player in 1968 as a college graduation present to myself. Now that was an advanced (but crappy) sound system!
whoa - nice! We has a '72 Super Beetle for about 10 yrs. I recall teh heater had two settings; incinerate and off. It could do 0-60 in about 8 days, going downhill with a tail wind.

This side-bar discussion kinda remind me of the classic Monty Python routine:

Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
A couple of other things to point out: Spotify and Google Play Music will both do what you describe. Play Music will be going away soon, merged into YouTube Music (itself a pretty good service too).

I like Spotify the best. Here's why:
-- most critical mass of users and others who make great playlists
-- Spotify has very good machine learning to create auto playlists the more you listen
-- Spotify has interesting playlists that are auto-generated, such as "discover weekly" of interesting music based on your interests on Mondays, 3 daily mixes of music it knows you'll like, a retro playlist, a release radar one of only new music you will like, etc.
-- Spotify has an "artist playlist" for any artist you want, and it will also create a playlist based upon any song you give it.
-- Spotify will download whatever playlists you instruct it to while you are on Wifi. If you have a phone with decent storage (esp an Android with an SD card for example) you can grab hours of music. These playlists can include the auto-generated ones I mention above. Then, you can instruct Spotify to only use songs that are downloaded so you use none of your mobile data. All of the other services I've used are not as easy to do this.
-- All of the above services work great on Android Auto, and even if you use MMI for navigation, you can control playing all of your offline playlists on the screen using AA.

I never quite understood the value proposition of SiriusXM -- it seems very expensive for what it is (and requires you to haggle with them every so often).
Spot (ify) on assessment. I have tried them all and have a daily need for one in fitness classes. No one comes close to Spotify. Apple tried and failed so bad at the UI, that many fled for good. I see they have updated the UI, but why leave a good thing? Spotify does not use that much data and as mentioned, download the playlist offline if you are concerned.