Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

OBD11 Quirk

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OBD11 Quirk

I set the 'Welcome Sound' on my OBD11 to activate the 'entry' and 'exit' sound notifications. the entry sound is like a chime but the exit sound is the heartbeats. Strange. Does anyone know how I can get them both to match? Thanks. Also, I do not see any volume feature in the MMI to adjust the volume of the entry/exit sound volume either.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bac_s5_b9
I set the 'Welcome Sound' on my OBD11 to activate the 'entry' and 'exit' sound notifications. the entry sound is like a chime but the exit sound is the heartbeats. Strange. Does anyone know how I can get them both to match? Thanks. Also, I do not see any volume feature in the MMI to adjust the volume of the entry/exit sound volume either.
It's not a quirk. My TTRS had the heartbeat on exit. It's from one of their commercials.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

the quirk is that it doesn’t have the heartbeat at startup just shutdown. I would
like the same sound on entry and exit. N

Originally Posted by tjkern
It's not a quirk. My TTRS had the heartbeat on exit. It's from one of their commercials.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

I have the "Heartbeat "sound before starting the engine, but could not get the "Exit" sound to work. When I enabled the "Heartbeat " sound on startup (OBDEleven and Hood Open) it places the "Welcome Sound" volume control in the MMI. The "Welcome Sound" volume control was not in the MMI before I enabled the "Heartbeat" sound. The "HeartBeat" sound is 100% reliable, plus it gave me the "Oil Check" graphic in the VC. I think he two go hand in hand, you're starting the car and get the "HeartBeat" and the "Oil Check" letting your know it's safe to proceed.

Last edited by synergize; 12-08-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That’s where I am struggling. I enabled it but no heartbeat sound at start up. Just the jingle. Heartbeat sound upon exit. And no welcome sound adjustment in MMI.

QUOTE=synergize;25657345]I have the "Heartbeat "sound before starting the engine, but could not get the "Exit" sound to work. When I enabled the "Heartbeat " sound on startup (OBDEleven and Hood Open) it places the "Welcome Sound" volume control in the MMI. The "Welcome Sound" volume control was not in the MMI before I enabled the "Heartbeat" sound. The "HeartBeat" sound is 100% reliable, plus it gave me the "Oil Check" graphic in the VC. I think he two go hand in hand, you're starting the car and get the "HeartBeat" and the "Oil Check" letting your know it's safe to proceed.

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-08-2021, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=bac_s5_b9;25657388]That’s where I am struggling. I enabled it but no heartbeat sound at start up. Just the jingle. Heartbeat sound upon exit. And no welcome sound adjustment in MMI.

Never heard of it behaving that way before, I guess Audi cars are mysterious and some have a mind of their own. Did you code with the hood open? It can take several minutes or a few hours for the changes to occur according to other members that code.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
I have the "Heartbeat "sound before starting the engine, but could not get the "Exit" sound to work. When I enabled the "Heartbeat " sound on startup (OBDEleven and Hood Open) it places the "Welcome Sound" volume control in the MMI. The "Welcome Sound" volume control was not in the MMI before I enabled the "Heartbeat" sound. The "HeartBeat" sound is 100% reliable, plus it gave me the "Oil Check" graphic in the VC. I think he two go hand in hand, you're starting the car and get the "HeartBeat" and the "Oil Check" letting your know it's safe to proceed.
Long ago I enabled the "Heartbeat" welcome sound no problem, but I have never seen the "Oil Check" graphic in my VC at startup - ever. I wonder if this is limited only to S5s, and not RS5s.

Also, there are other welcome sounds available; I downloaded a bunch from the internet a few years ago. One of them, called "Adrenaline", I would love to substitute for the heartbeat, but I have no idea how to do it.
The following users liked this post:
bac_s5_b9 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DCB1951
Long ago I enabled the "Heartbeat" welcome sound no problem, but I have never seen the "Oil Check" graphic in my VC at startup - ever. I wonder if this is limited only to S5s, and not RS5s.

Also, there are other welcome sounds available; I downloaded a bunch from the internet a few years ago. One of them, called "Adrenaline", I would love to substitute for the heartbeat, but I have no idea how to do it.
That's cool that you found other Audi sounds. I know OBDEleven has a "request feature" on their website, maybe they could add it to the App if asked, they have added stuff in the past. I believe there are a few guys on Audizine that got the oil level check on RS5s but it's hit or miss like the S5. Not sure why Audi doesn't turn on these features, it differentiates Audi from other manufacturers. More silly Audi behaviors...
Old 12-08-2021, 02:35 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by DCB1951

I have enabled the “Startup Sound” in my 2018 S5 and it’s the “Harp” sound and there is no oil check or exit sound but I do have the welcome sound volume in the MMI settings.

— John
Old 12-08-2021, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

The oil level check is cool. I wouldn’t mind that on any of my cars actually.

Quick Reply: OBD11 Quirk