Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Odd wired Car Play glitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Odd wired Car Play glitch

I have an early 2018 S5 in which I use wired Carplay with my Iphone plugged in. It has been perfectly functional for my use, which is mostly listening to library audiobooks through the pretty standard Libby app, plus GPS directions. Recently, it has hung up on a library book that was finished and returned to library. Now, activating the Libby library app on phone brings up a picture of the returned book on Audi screen, which it can't load ("can't find content" message). That screen stays on, even though it will go on and play a current book just fine. The phone app works perfctly on phone screen, with the usual displays even though the car screen is the outdated book display. I reborrowed the same book and it works fine, downloaded, ran, got closed and returned, but Carplay still returns to the returned book display when Libby activitated. Normal displays with other apps.

Since phone app works fine, I assume this is some glitch in the Audi system? Is there any way to reboot the Audi side of the equation? other ideas? I have not yet deleted Libby app from phone and re-downloaded it, as I will loose the several downloaded library books and may have to go back on library waiting lists to get them back.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2023, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same car / use wired Apple Carplay to listen to Podcasts and Spotify primarily, along with Waze or Apple Maps for GPS, via my iPhone 13 Pro. I've never used that library audiobook app, but I've come across a similar glitch with Podcasts where the old "album cover" art of a prior podcast will display when I'm listening to a new one. This happens I think usually when I turn the car off with my phone still plugged in (Eg. going to run a super fast errand), and then restart the car with phone still plugged in.

This might be obvious, but I don't think you said you tried it. On your iphone, you've hard-closed the app? (Swipe up from bottom and hold, get into the open-app view, find the app and then swipe up to close?) Whenever any app on Carplay glitches, including the Podcast app, doing this manually on my phone and then relaunching on Carplay always does the trick.

If you've already tried that, sorry, don't know what else except as you suggest deleting and re-downloading the app on your iPhone.
The following 2 users liked this post by CKinLA:
Nikon1 (05-31-2023), notimetostop (05-31-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Perfect instant fix. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
CKinLA (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CKinLA
I have the same car / use wired Apple Carplay to listen to Podcasts and Spotify primarily, along with Waze or Apple Maps for GPS, via my iPhone 13 Pro. I've never used that library audiobook app, but I've come across a similar glitch with Podcasts where the old "album cover" art of a prior podcast will display when I'm listening to a new one. This happens I think usually when I turn the car off with my phone still plugged in (Eg. going to run a super fast errand), and then restart the car with phone still plugged in.

This might be obvious, but I don't think you said you tried it. On your iphone, you've hard-closed the app? (Swipe up from bottom and hold, get into the open-app view, find the app and then swipe up to close?) Whenever any app on Carplay glitches, including the Podcast app, doing this manually on my phone and then relaunching on Carplay always does the trick.

If you've already tried that, sorry, don't know what else except as you suggest deleting and re-downloading the app on your iPhone.
Its good advice me as well.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW.... Its always a good idea to close out apps you are not actively using.