Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Phone Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't looked at how to retrofit with carplay. If I buy the proclip products, mount and padded iPhone charging holder for hard wired I'm pushing around $150. I probably could get under $100 if I use the mount with a simple holder and piece together the hard wired parts.

I will look at the carplay retrofit and than decide which way to go.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mdskiman521
Anyone try the left pillar mount from proclip? Doesn't look as easy to run power to it.

Let us know how you made out. You could possibly run the wire from the center console, under the dash below the steering and between the door and the side of the dash.
I don't see it on Proclip page. Where did you find it?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is one of the hard wire kits from pro clip. https://www.proclipusa.com/product/5...d-installation

If I go for a car play. I'll change to the center console mount or angled dash mount and a simple holder, ( https://www.proclipusa.com/product/511660-padded-holder )

Holders with the built-in adapters are a bit pricey. Although, it could be convenient to just plug it in... https://www.proclipusa.com/product/5...ble-attachment

Last edited by mdskiman521; 08-05-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I've tried various magnetic vent mounts and none of them were able to hold my Galaxy S9+ steady during hard cornering. The phone or the entire mount would fall off during hard U-turns. So I went shopping for a clamp-type mount that uses an adhesive pad. I found this one on Amazon, went for a test drive and my phone stayed on no matter how hard I turned. It also comes with a little cable management hook as a plus. I can slide my phone in and out with one hand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SJZNKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SJZNKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by luder888; 11-06-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I recently got this one -
Amazon Amazon

I have it mounted on the passenger side center air vent. The phone easily slips in and out. Can be angled to face the driver. Sticks out just enough not to interfere with the controls. It's a bit difficult to mount initially just use some patience and finesse not brute force. The hook mounts faces up, i.e. the unit clips to the bottom of the vent slat.

Last edited by 18A5SB; 11-10-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
I recently got this one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKJPPZH...0668520_dpLink

I have it mounted on the passenger side center air vent. The phone easily slips in and out. Can be angled to face the driver. Sticks out just enough not to interfere with the controls. It's a bit difficult to mount initially just use some patience and finesse not brute force. The hook mounts faces up, i.e. the unit clips to the bottom of the vent slat.
I picked up the same one recently since I got a new phone with Qi wireless charging. The magnetic mount I was using would have prevented me from using that feature. I also had issue with my phone flying off when taking turns aggressively with the magnetic mount. So far I really like this new mount and it fits my current A6 (C5) nicely. I'm glad to see it fits the vents in the B9s so I don't have to find another solution when mine comes in.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProClip Left of Screen

I've always like the ProClip because I don't have to pick up the cable and plug it in. I just slide the phone in and out and it's good to go.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by friguy3
Always used the iotti mount high like this. Can't really see it from the front and this way it's in line with my eyes (for Navi/Waze &#128526.
I believe you must have the pad attached for dash install and not fall (because dash not smooth) and also reduce risk of suction damage to dash.

I like out of sight so I'm hoping you can tell me if you think this would work....Sticking the pad / iOttie on side of console (ie. driver or passengers side, plastic part, just above carpet area, closer to seat and not pedals is my immediate thought) and extend arm upwards (arm extends up 8.3 inches so can give plenty of height from below). I know this is unconventional and I haven't seen pictures of any suction based holder mounted this way, but wondering if you or someone with this mount would try and/or provide thoughts?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdeee
I believe you must have the pad attached for dash install and not fall (because dash not smooth) and also reduce risk of suction damage to dash.

I like out of sight so I'm hoping you can tell me if you think this would work....Sticking the pad / iOttie on side of console (ie. driver or passengers side, plastic part, just above carpet area, closer to seat and not pedals is my immediate thought) and extend arm upwards (arm extends up 8.3 inches so can give plenty of height from below). I know this is unconventional and I haven't seen pictures of any suction based holder mounted this way, but wondering if you or someone with this mount would try and/or provide thoughts?
I do not have the pad on. So yes, hot summer days, it falls. And are you saying the backside of the Navi unit? If that, I tried, no go.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the Iottie Easy One Touch 4 Air Vent Mount ? Seems like a quality product.

Are the air vent ribs strong enough for a phone mount?

Quick Reply: Phone Mount?