Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Power Window Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Troubles

My S5 coupe power windows have always intermittently been flaky; however, as of Monday this new issue cropped up and is consistent.

The windows automatically drop down about 1 cm to clear the sill for operation (open/close). What is happening this week is that the driver's side only window will drop several inches when I open either door. When I get into the driver's side seat and close the door, it will then only rise back up the 1 cm leaving the several inches open still.

My temporary fix is to crawl into the passenger side of the car, turn on the auxiliary power, roll the driver's side window up all the way, turn off the auxiliary power, crawl back out, shut the passenger door and lock the door.

I took the car in yesterday (10/3) and they said there was not an error code showing up for the issue. It must have been a fluke. So factory settings were restored and it did fix it, but only for about a 12 hour period. Then it started back up again.

I'm just curious to find out if anyone else with this vehicle has the same issue. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar issue here with my 2018 B9 S5 coupe

For me after I had the car in for the airbag recall and software service action. After a day or 2 I noticed when getting in the car the passenger side window was open about 3 inches. I closed it and didn’t think much about it. Then it happened again. It seems like after locking the car then returning. The windows were all closed when I got back but I opened the driver door that’s when the passenger window would lower. it wouldn’t auto-up or down either.

I googled Audi window reset and found some info and tried the reset action of rolling down the windows and holing the button down for several seconds then rolling them up and holding the buttons for several seconds.

Not 100% clear if that action actually was the resolution but it did stop lowering 3 inches each time the car was unlocked and entered.

So far saved a trip trip back to Audi

good luck
Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zwik
Similar issue here with my 2018 B9 S5 coupe

For me after I had the car in for the airbag recall and software service action. After a day or 2 I noticed when getting in the car the passenger side window was open about 3 inches. I closed it and didn’t think much about it. Then it happened again. It seems like after locking the car then returning. The windows were all closed when I got back but I opened the driver door that’s when the passenger window would lower. it wouldn’t auto-up or down either.

I googled Audi window reset and found some info and tried the reset action of rolling down the windows and holing the button down for several seconds then rolling them up and holding the buttons for several seconds.

Not 100% clear if that action actually was the resolution but it did stop lowering 3 inches each time the car was unlocked and entered.

So far saved a trip trip back to Audi

good luck
Interesting that you noted the auto up as well because I did notice that wasn't working on my driver's side door either. I'll try the press and hold feature to see if it works. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It does this sort of thing if it loses its 'basic settings'. I had issues in the first few weeks and the dealer applied a firmware update to the door controller (this was in June / early July). Since then it hasn't happened again.

The short term solution is to open and close the window fully, and for each of those release and then hold the button for a few seconds, that sets the end stop positions again.

If it keeps losing the settings then either you need the same fix I had or the controller or window motor are faulty.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paradyne
It does this sort of thing if it loses its 'basic settings'. I had issues in the first few weeks and the dealer applied a firmware update to the door controller (this was in June / early July). Since then it hasn't happened again.

The short term solution is to open and close the window fully, and for each of those release and then hold the button for a few seconds, that sets the end stop positions again.

If it keeps losing the settings then either you need the same fix I had or the controller or window motor are faulty.
Thanks. I'll have to ask about the firmware update when I go in. They seem lost for what it could be. The press and hold up/down has not worked for me yet.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Similar issue with my 2018 A5 coupe passenger side window started acting up this past Monday. (10/1/18). I have just over 5k miles.
When my passenger opened the passenger side door, the window opened about half way. Upon closing the door the window went up the 1/4" or so that it normally does, however since the window was about half way down that didn't help much.
I closed the window from the drivers side control. However when ever we opened the passenger door from the outside the window kept going down about half way.
Next morning when I was entering the car to leave for work, when I opened my drivers side door, (yes the drivers' door) the passenger door window went down half way again. I thought this is too weird. I am able to close the window OK and luckily when I exit the vehicle from the drivers side the passenger window stays up. When leaving work for home after sitting all day at work in the parking garage, I opened the drivers door to get in and again, the passenger door window goes down half way. It has done this for 3 days straight. So I made an appointment for a dealer visit on Thursday. But guess what, after I got home today (Wednesday) I couldn't get the window to replicate the problem. It seems to be working OK this evening. Will go to the dealer anyway in the morning to see what they have to say, but I fear it will not exhibit the issue. I certainly hope this does not end up being one of those "intermittent" issues. Have never had this issue on prior vehicles before (Challenger, Optima, G8). Would not have expected this from an Audi. Also have seen a lot of prior window issues on the WEB related to Audi vehicles, but maybe all the brands have issues like this??
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Not related to your issue, but I found out by accident if you open the door while going less than ~50 mph, the window will drop a bit just like when you open when it's stationary. However, at speed over ~50 mph the window doesn't drop, so when you try to close the door it doesn't close properly and you have to lower the window by pressing the switch in order for it to close properly. I have never been able to figure out why it works like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Not related to your issue, but I found out by accident if you open the door while going less than ~50 mph, the window will drop a bit just like when you open when it's stationary. However, at speed over ~50 mph the window doesn't drop, so when you try to close the door it doesn't close properly and you have to lower the window by pressing the switch in order for it to close properly. I have never been able to figure out why it works like this.
There must be a really good story about how you discovered this.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Trying to think of a reason why you would need to open the door at 50 mph .
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud

Trying to think of a reason why you would need to open the door at 50 mph .
Now come to think of it. I think I first tested it when I got the "Drive system active please turn off ignition message" while I was on the freeway. So I did one quick test of opening the door to see if the warning would go away, but it didn't... Then I realized my door didn't close properly and the reason was because the window didn't roll down. So I repeated the test at a slower speed and it rolled down. I kept repeating it until I found the magic number of 50. It was all discovered by accident but now I wonder why 50...

Last edited by luder888; 10-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Window Troubles