Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Power Window Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Our S5 has the same intermittent window problems. I took it to the dealer once for the problem and then simply cleared an error code and said that should fix it. Well guess what, It didn't work and the problem sporadically returned.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned to the dealership this morning. Of course, the original issue has stopped since last night but I did advise them that the auto up/down has also not been working. They came back with the motor for the window overheating thus the issues. Part in tomorrow (along with my replacement exhaust tips), so I'll make my third trip back for the week tomorrow to have those two issues resolved...I hope. I will update.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
They came back with the motor for the window overheating thus the issues.
That explanation sounds so shady. I mean were you playing with the window for an hour to get it to overheat? If this happens first thing in the morning I doubt it's an overheating issue.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Fortunately, I don't have some of these more problematic window issues. I get confused windows occasionally that go down when you pull up the switch/opposite actions. I've never had any car have confused windows like this. Seems like something that should have straightforward programming. I'm due for an oil change at the dealer so will have them update the firmware.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is happening to my A5 SB when ever it sits in rain for an hour or so. Happened throughout last winter, and it again started this week.
I tried resetting the basic settings by rolling the window all the way down and then holding the button for 3+ seconds, then rolling up and holding for 3 seconds. Still my windows auto roll function doesn't work. Can someone point me to the correct instructions ?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got my car back with the new motor for the window, and it works great - better than before. My passenger side is obviously having issues as well, so I won’t be surprised if I have to take it back. It’s not broken, though, so I don’t know if they would do anything about it. @caranddriver my issues started out last year with “confused” responses to pushing the buttons.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer cleared the code for my passenger window issue. Said they "re-set" the windows so "everything should be fine now". I asked about a firmware update (as mentioned on this forum) but the advisor didn't seem to know anything about that. Told me if it happens again to bring back. Or I could run the window up and down several times, which sometimes will reset them. I'm not confident the problem is solved at this point, but the windows worked fine today. .
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
Got my car back with the new motor for the window, and it works great - better than before. My passenger side is obviously having issues as well, so I won’t be surprised if I have to take it back. It’s not broken, though, so I don’t know if they would do anything about it. @caranddriver my issues started out last year with “confused” responses to pushing the buttons.
My car is going in soon so will ask about it. It really drives me crazy that the windows get confused and do opposite actions. Problems like this don't befit an Audi or any new car on the road nowadays.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by audiricka5
Dealer cleared the code for my passenger window issue. Said they "re-set" the windows so "everything should be fine now". I asked about a firmware update (as mentioned on this forum) but the advisor didn't seem to know anything about that. Told me if it happens again to bring back. Or I could run the window up and down several times, which sometimes will reset them. I'm not confident the problem is solved at this point, but the windows worked fine today. .
This is how my window issue was also handled by the dealer and sure enough the problem returned several months later.
There is obviously a problem with the windows, wish Audi would take care of this.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same story as others in this thread, started for me on day 3 of ownership, when I didn't notice it and it was outside during rain resulting in some nice wet carpets...

Went through multiple "resets", no dice.

Replaced motor, no dice.

Replaced window control unit - yay! While every once in a while the window doesn't fully return to the closed position when shutting the door and I get a bit of wind noise (talking a few mm here), the problem hasn't recurred in over a year now.