Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre-sense...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Don't ever question the Pre-Sense God. It knew you were about to be attacked by a supernatural creature and was trying to protect you!

Give it a couple of years and Audi will have lots more surprises for you, with fully autonomous, totally electric, 'cars' (livery vehicles).
Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I had my first true false activation this morning while sitting at a red light. Out of nowhere, the Pre-Sense light activated, my seat belt started strangling me, and the side bolsters fully inflated. There was nothing that should have triggered this reaction; neither the car behind me nor the cars in adjacent lanes moved and the activation was seemingly completely random. I would hope that the bolsters would eventually deflate to the previous setting, but instead they remained on the fully inflated setting and I had no manually set them to a comfortable level.
Working as intended as stated by the people defending this flawed system.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
Working as intended as stated by the people defending this flawed system.
I always tell people a system can be working by design but it was a flawed design to begin with.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Reboot. LOL.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016Q5
We are deducing that this type of camera is installed into Canadian models without ADAP.
It looks as though it can perform two functions: high beam assist and traffic sign recognition (with an upgrade at the dealership).

Those in the US have the other type of camera mounted higher up in the windshield.
Our deduction was right!

In the Self Study Programme (Vehicle electrics and electronics), they state that this camera is Only installed if the customer has ordered main beam assist without further assistance systems, such as Audi active Lane Assist or traffic sign recognition.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 04-26-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

FWIW ...today pre-sense saved my bacon, from rear ending a truck that slammed on its brakes just as I was looking right, to ensure the lane was clear, before moving into it (surface road). It kicked in and lightly slammed on the brakes, but not to a full stop. I was pretty happy it helped out in that moment.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
FWIW ...today pre-sense saved my bacon, from rear ending a truck that slammed on its brakes just as I was looking right, to ensure the lane was clear, before moving into it (surface road). It kicked in and lightly slammed on the brakes, but not to a full stop. I was pretty happy it helped out in that moment.
thats awesome! I’ll take many false alerts if it saves my a$$ for realz! Thx for sharing
Old 04-26-2019, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
So it was the Pre-warning that alerted you and then you braked yourself? Or was it PS that braked and stopped inches from the car in front? What do you have your Pre-warning set to? Late or Early?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
So it was the Pre-warning that alerted you and then you braked yourself? Or was it PS that braked and stopped inches from the car in front? What do you have your Pre-warning set to? Late or Early?
Yes, the alert/red triangle appeared and the car braked from what I recall ...things happen so fast. I was just starting my move to the right lane, so part of the car nose was partially unobstructed by the truck in front, so it didn’t hardcore slam on the brakes. But enough to where you hear the grind on the rotors. I believe I have presense set to late. I’ll check later and if it’s different, I’ll update.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

It's good to hear that this system is capable of performing its intended task. Hopefully, Audi will continue to refine the system and substantially reduce the number of false warnings.

Quick Reply: Pre-sense...