Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre-sense...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Yes, the alert/red triangle appeared and the car braked from what I recall ...things happen so fast. I was just starting my move to the right lane, so part of the car nose was partially unobstructed by the truck in front, so it didn’t hardcore slam on the brakes. But enough to where you hear the grind on the rotors. I believe I have presense set to late. I’ll check later and if it’s different, I’ll update.
Turns out pre-sense warning is set to early.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My drive-way is perpendicular to a busy street and a few days ago, while a started to backup the car jerked with a strange grinding noise so I stopped immediately. I didn't know what happened but I was hoping it was not pre sense. This afternoon, the same thing happened. I was still like 10 feet from the street!!! How could I backup normally toward the street with such a system? I got the car 2 weeks ago and I'm now very disappointed.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
My drive-way is perpendicular to a busy street and a few days ago, while a started to backup the car jerked with a strange grinding noise so I stopped immediately. I didn't know what happened but I was hoping it was not pre sense. This afternoon, the same thing happened. I was still like 10 feet from the street!!! How could I backup normally toward the street with such a system? I got the car 2 weeks ago and I'm now very disappointed.
It's rear cross traffic, one of the most annoying features. I feel your pain but I have no tips on how to prevent it aside from disconnecting the two radar sensors hidden behind the rear bumper. But you will also lose side assist and Pre-sense rear by doing that. Some people say if your foot is on the brake it won't happen, but how can my foot be on the brake at all times when I want to back up? Makes no sense.

Another thing is maybe try backing into your driveway instead so you can pull out head first? You'll have to change your driving style to accommodate these haphazard "predictive safety features" unfortunately.

Audi sets their back up system extremely sensitive as if they assume people just back up blindly without looking. How did people back up before all these fancy technologies? SMH.

Last edited by luder888; 04-27-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by luder888
It's rear cross traffic, one of the most annoying features. I feel your pain but I have no tips on how to prevent it aside from disconnecting the two radar sensors hidden behind the rear bumper. But you will also lose side assist and Pre-sense rear by doing that. Some people say if your foot is on the brake it won't happen, but how can my foot be on the brake at all times when I want to back up? Makes no sense.

Another thing is maybe try backing into your driveway instead so you can pull out head first? You'll have to change your driving style to accommodate these haphazard "predictive safety features" unfortunately.

Audi sets their back up system extremely sensitive as if they assume people just back up blindly without looking. How did people back up before all these fancy technologies? SMH.
Yeah, it seems I will have to adapt. :-)

At least, I'm not alone hating this feature. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
...but how can my foot be on the brake at all times when I want to back up? Makes no sense.
Try some left foot braking whilst nudging the accelerator.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Perhaps this should have been in the manual
Old 04-27-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by audibonkers
Try some left foot braking whilst nudging the accelerator.
I prefer the toe-heel method.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

was it raining by chance? When it rains your car will slightly apply the brakes to dry them when you’re moving slow. It’s a weird sound but a nice design feature if you know what it’s doing.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

My drive-way is perpendicular to a busy street and a few days ago, while a started to backup the car jerked with a strange grinding noise so I stopped immediately. I didn't know what happened but I was hoping it was not pre sense. This afternoon, the same thing happened. I was still like 10 feet from the street!!!
I have had this happen to me a couple of times, and it is indeed annoying. I have also, recently, started experiencing something I think luder observed - if I back out of my driveway too fast, the pre-sense engages. Sloped driveway and I think the sensors are picking up the road.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tbone323
was it raining by chance? When it rains your car will slightly apply the brakes to dry them when you’re moving slow. It’s a weird sound but a nice design feature if you know what it’s doing.
No, it was dry those 2 days. :-(

Quick Reply: Pre-sense...