Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Pre Sense settings don't save?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Sense settings don't save?

So my b9 has this issue of being overly aggressive with the audi pre-sense set on early or medium. I would like to set it to late or better yet, off completely. But late would do fine.

So I go into it and set it to late (and check it actually set it to late) and do my drive. When I turn the car off, and back on, it "resets" pre sense to medium. It allows and retains setting of early too. But not late or off. So every time I drive my car I have to change the setting to late.

Is this some stupid EU feature to increase safety? It's not very safe when the car does an emergency full stop in the middle of the street because it sensed a cyclist avoiding pot holes 50 meters away. Someone very nearly rear ended me earlier due to this. Then he wanted to fight me or something because he probably thought I was trying to cause a crash for insurance or something.

My headlights annoy me too, they have those silly ECE beams with a steep angle merged into each other which creates a black wide V "darkspot" right in the middle of the drivers field of vision where there's no headlight beams... ok I get it's so theres no beam blinding opposite traffic, and they extend ok..but when you accelerate the car brings the beams closer to the car, presumably so you don't blind people when the car lifts up when accelerating... except it does it TOO MUCH and when you're accelerating the most like UP A HILL and you end up only being able to see anything in pitch black if you put your full beams on. Who thought of this stupidity? No setting for these, so stuck with it. My car is RHD so they angle to the left, when you go round right hand corners there's no headlight light on the road...useless.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Not sure whether it's supposed to remember the Late setting, however it's discouraged in the owner's manual to use Late, so I wouldn't be surprised if they reverted it. Moreover, though the setting does not change at what point the automatic braking occurs. It only controls how early it warns first before doing so. The brakes engage regardless when it thinks a collision may be imminent. There's nothing you can do about it. You can only turn it off temporarily. It switches back on again automatically. Audi pre sense has been an ongoing complaint among owners. It has way too many false positives. I had a B9 loaner once and it slammed on the brakes while I was parallel parking and another car passed by. There was no chance we'd have collided in any scenario. I would have hit the car parked behind me first. I don't have these issues with my current C63. The Mercedes safety systems have far better implementations.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Not sure about the early setting but OFF is only temporary till you cycle the ignition. You can either turn it off in the pre-sense menu or put the ESC to sport or off which also turns off pre-sense - but both have to be done at every start up. I have only had pre-sense do a false positive 2 of 3 times, and only while backing up, in the 3 plus years of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-09-2022)