Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Replacing the door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 730 Likes on 508 Posts

That is not a + on the capacitor, that is it's pressure relief. A non polar capacitor can be placed on either terminal...it has no polarity.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts

The woofer and tweeter in the rear door are wired in parallel so you can use your DVM to do a continuity check between the woofer plug and the tweeter plug to match polarity.

But as Bruce said, while it's tradition to put the cap in the + line, it doesn't actually *need* to be there and sometimes it isn't and audio caps are non polarized. The B&O grounds are not attached to the chassis ground so all the drivers are isolated.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've received the spacers and the silicone baffle today and they perfectly fit each other but I am very frustrated they don't fit the new Dayton GF180.

Everything is supposed to be 6.5''. Even if I stretch the silicone baffle it won't hold tight around the speaker.

In the end, I have a total of 1/2 inch difference. I think I will have to return the speakers and look for another model that fits.

Does anyone see any kind of solution for this? And how can I make sure the next speaker will fit? Not every manufacturer provides that measure.

Thank you!

Bracket/Speaker Overlap

Bracket 6 1/8 inches

Speaker 6 5/8 inches
Old 11-29-2021, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are 180mm speakers vs the more common 6.5in size which is 165mm. Hence the GF180 name. Check out this thread below. There is an adapter that works well with these it just takes a bit of modification because this adapter will not align perfectly with the pre drilled holes in the rear door. I gave up on finding speaker baffles that would fit. Attempted stretching the 165mm ones but also gave up. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1&goto=newpost
Old 11-29-2021, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim DeRosa
These are 180mm speakers vs the more common 6.5in size which is 165mm. Hence the GF180 name. Check out this thread below. There is an adapter that works well with these it just takes a bit of modification because this adapter will not align perfectly with the pre drilled holes in the rear door. I gave up on finding speaker baffles that would fit. Attempted stretching the 165mm ones but also gave up. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1&goto=newpost
Thank you very much! I've started designing an adapter to 3D print but it will need about 16mm of extra clearance to the door panel as the speaker will sit higher due to the additional adapter. Do you think it would fit?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LMBZ
Thank you very much! I've started designing an adapter to 3D print but it will need about 16mm of extra clearance to the door panel as the speaker will sit higher due to the additional adapter. Do you think it would fit?
I had something similar with my Aurum Cantus AC165s and the hardware sourced from Bruce Miranda - However, I was to a lesser extent than you. The AC165s are also larger than regular 6.5" speakers.

My solution (Bruce's solution) - Stretch the baffle around the speaker and then start the screws at an angle to reach the spacer. If you gradually "pull" the speaker/baffle down to the spacer using consistent torque all around at similar intervals, maybe you'll have a shot?

-DL

Last edited by lensch09; 11-30-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lensch09
I had something similar with my Aurum Cantus AC165s and the hardware sourced from Bruce Miranda - However, I was to a lesser extent than you. The AC165s are also larger than regular 6.5" speakers.

My solution (Bruce's solution) - Stretch the baffle around the speaker and then start the screws at an angle to reach the spacer. If you gradually "pull" the speaker/baffle down to the spacer using consistent torque all around at similar intervals, maybe you'll have a shot?

-DL
The AC165 is an odd 165mm size but still is a 6.5inch speaker. The GF180 is a 180mm size speaker and at that point you are pushing a 6.5inch mount into the impossible territory.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts

I've received the spacers and the silicone baffle today and they perfectly fit each other but I am very frustrated they don't fit the new Dayton GF180.
Everything is supposed to be 6.5''. Even if I stretch the silicone baffle it won't hold tight around the speaker.
In the end, I have a total of 1/2 inch difference. I think I will have to return the speakers and look for another model that fits.
Does anyone see any kind of solution for this? And how can I make sure the next speaker will fit? Not every manufacturer provides that measure.
The GF180 fit perfectly on my Metra brackets. You'll need to drill new holes in the bracket, but that's going to apply for almost any non car audio specific solution. Home audio drivers are "size category" but exact size within a category can vary a lot. It's accepted in that market you'll need to cut the holes to match the speakers.

However, the GF180 has excellent sound so I'd encourage you to try to make them work.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you!

Bracket/Speaker Overlap

Bracket 6 1/8 inches

Speaker 6 5/8 inches
I think you can still make that mount work for your GF180 especially if the mounting holes are proud of the mount rim on all sides. Several solutions I can think of.
Make a notch in the upstand of that mount on the outside, enough to hold a nut or panel mount bracket and then screw into it from the top. The nut and screw will act like a vise. Or go all the way to the bottom lip and secure it to that part of the plastic. You could dig the screw heads a bit into the mount from the rear and secure the speaker from the front with nuts. Then put sealing foam strip over the screw heads. Where there is a will.....
Old 12-02-2021, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any thoughts on these? The DC160 from Dayton

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...peaker-295-309

It is similar to the GF180 in price only it is 160mm so it would not be as much of a pain to use with the brackets and silicone baffle. I would Imagine it would just slide into place. Cons vs the GF 180 is that its sensitivity is a bit lower and it does have a different cone material that could possibly be a bit less water resistant? But thats me speculating. If I had not just got my GF180 installed I would've given these a shot. I'd love to do a sound comparison between these two. Any thoughts? Seems like it could be a bit easer route for people.

Quick Reply: Replacing the door speakers