Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

ROW: Thoughts on the 2020 S5 facelift going diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Why so? I mean, one can certainly question the short-term validity of an electric strategy, or even have differing opinions about EVs in general for the long haul, but you seem to imply that there is another option that in the medium to long term will be superior to EVs? If so, I'd love to hear it. It seems pretty clear that ICE is a technology that is on the downward slope, given that no matter how good gasoline cars become, the regulatory and economic climate around them is deteriorating perhaps faster than the actual climate is around us. It would strike me as grossly irrepsonsible for VAG not to be putting a ton of effort into EVs. Anecdotally, the main obstacle to EVs among the people who I know who share my liking for upscale sporty cars and driving is that EVs so far have been rather lacking in looks, quality of interiors, and "car-like" feel and amenities. If you're not an engineer type, and you are a car fan, stuff like Teslas are not that inspiring, and the more mainstream EVs like the Leaf and the Bolt, etc. are of course off the table. The real interesting EVs are coming from companies that have been making the types of cars we like for many years. If Audi and BMW and Mercedes, etc. can produce EVs that look and feel like our current cars, only with an electric drive train, that will be a huge incentive to buy, I would think.
Yea, I'd be curious what emacS5 thinks the future of the automobile is. Really, with the climate and environment deteriorating, and gas being non-renewable, you think everyone can just keep driving gas cars forever?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Another negative: they wouldn't look as good. I saw a few 2019 ROW diesel S5 flying over my head while taking a factory tour in Ingolstadt last week and Audi had to delete the quad tips. There are only two tips on the driver side and none on the passenger side. Instead, the area where the other exhaust tips would have been is now occupied by the AdBlue fluid tank. The cars didn't have the rear skirts installed at that point so I couldn't tell if the remaining tips will even be visible or not.
On the press photos it has quad pipes like the gas one:
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...i-engine-11490
Whether they're all actually used is another story, but it's not like my gas one uses them all either, #3 seems to do all the work.

I'm more curious whether they actually solved the emissions problem or if they just put out another software hack to cheat.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud
So there won't be any 3.0TFSI?
There will be because this is only for Europe, not the US.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
. Several years ago I had a deposit on the reborn Acura NSX until it was announced as a hybrid. Was refunded my deposit and walked away.
I’m surprised you didn’t go for the R8 then! Either way both are very nice, as is the A5 coupe, not to mention more economical.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Am I paranoid about that — Yes, but having personally seem small LiOn cells do that many times, as well as the well publicized car fires based on that same problem, I have zero desire to own or ride in an EV. Several years ago I had a deposit on the reborn Acura NSX until it was announced as a hybrid. Was refunded my deposit and walked away.

Just my 2¢ on this discussion.

As always — YMMV

— John
Take the rest of that money and buy a Supra. The fact the NSX is a hybrid doesn't bother me, but I would have walked away when I saw its ridiculous price tag.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Take the rest of that money and buy a Supra. The fact the NSX is a hybrid doesn't bother me, but I would have walked away when I saw its ridiculous price tag.
I don’t want 3 cars, and having had a Supra or two in the past, I’ve become very accustomed to the ride and comfort in the S5. It flips almost all my switches.

— John
Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
I’m surprised you didn’t go for the R8 then! Either way both are very nice, as is the A5 coupe, not to mention more economical.

In the almost 3 years of putting down a soft deposit and the car being delivered, I realized:

1) Where am I going to unleash the power of that car?

2) Would I be comfortable parking it on the street when driving into the city?

3) I’m now both 3 years older and 3 years less “limber.”

4) I wanted a more comfortable, but still quick, car.

I used that same logic last year when I looked at what Audi & BMW were offering. As I posted before, the S5 Coupé ticked off those boxes - as well as not being a financial burden and get’s great gas mileage (for me).

— John
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don’t want 3 cars, and having had a Supra or two in the past, I’ve become very accustomed to the ride and comfort in the S5. It flips almost all my switches.

— John
I was way too young to do anything other than read about previous generations of Supras in car magazines, so this would be my only chance to own one new. This excites me more than the NSX because its performance will be more accessible and it is a "reasonable" cost for a impractical vehicle.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Do you know the story behind Mark Del Rosso's (President of AoA) termination?
No.

But Keogh gets promoted to running Volkswagen cars late last year. Which would be a demotion in any every other part of the world. And Del Rosso had to report to him. That is a seriously messed up reporting structure.

But it isn't any better in the homeland.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Another negative: they wouldn't look as good. I saw a few 2019 ROW diesel S5 flying over my head while taking a factory tour in Ingolstadt last week and Audi had to delete the quad tips. There are only two tips on the driver side and none on the passenger side. Instead, the area where the other exhaust tips would have been is now occupied by the AdBlue fluid tank. The cars didn't have the rear skirts installed at that point so I couldn't tell if the remaining tips will even be visible or not.
Firstly, ROW not correct. The diesel versions will only be sold in Europe and Russia. The ROW gets gasoline. In volume terms, the split will probably be close to 50/50.

The two right side exhaust tips are there, and they are fakes. The order book has only just opened for the S5 diesel, production is not commencing until the end of this month IIRC. As I have mentioned before, the B9 models have always been available with the 3.0TDI engine, have always had an Adblue tank, and do have a twin exhaust on the left side of the car. And that is what you would have seen. When you are just bolting on some fake tips, the Adblue tank isn't an issue.

Source: Audi.de

Quick Reply: ROW: Thoughts on the 2020 S5 facelift going diesel??