Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5, as quick as a Civic Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
They say they weren't in Dynamic and used Individual instead to put the Diff into Comfort. However, shouldn't they have then dropped the transmission into "S" instead of "D?" You can clearly see the transmission is in "D" in the video on the lower right at about 2:48. Dynamic normally puts you into "S," but they used Individual. I haven't tried that in my own RS5 since I either use Dynamic or Auto in "S" mode. Does Individual with the Engine and Trans in Dynamic have no difference in throttle response in D versus S? I need to test that in my RS5.
This is pretty big, I didnt notice that. The trans must be in S, regardless of "drive mode settings"

Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
The RS5 is more of a really fast GT. Audi has admitted this already.
They didn't have to admit it, we already knew.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Answer:

On-track, putting the diff in Dynamic or Auto mode brings the RS5’s tail into the game, but not in a good way. The rear end steps out when trail-braking into a corner, when adding throttle exiting a corner, when the track falls away, or if you start thinking about how bees are dying at an alarming rate. The unwanted rotation only gets worse on hot tires, and the Audi’s weight problem means it takes only one fast lap before the Hankooks begin to surrender their grip.

We resort to the RS5’s Individual drive mode, choosing Dynamic mode for the trans, engine, and suspension but setting the diff in Comfort to rein in the time-robbing slides. This keeps the diff from inciting dramatic yaw. And while it largely results in terminal understeer, that stability ensures we could clip off a quick lap before overheating the tires. While it’s not the most exciting way around a track, the RS5 is easy to drive at its limits and goes into the Climbing Esses without protest at 124.9 mph. Body control is exceptional for a heavy car, and the brakes are superb. A 3:03.9 matches the Civic Type R’s lap and is 0.4 second quicker than the time set by the old V-8–bearing, 4053-pound RS5.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default but the question is...

Originally Posted by RichRace
Answer:

On-track, putting the diff in Dynamic or Auto mode brings the RS5’s tail into the game, but not in a good way. The rear end steps out when trail-braking into a corner, when adding throttle exiting a corner, when the track falls away, or if you start thinking about how bees are dying at an alarming rate. The unwanted rotation only gets worse on hot tires, and the Audi’s weight problem means it takes only one fast lap before the Hankooks begin to surrender their grip.

We resort to the RS5’s Individual drive mode, choosing Dynamic mode for the trans, engine, and suspension but setting the diff in Comfort to rein in the time-robbing slides. This keeps the diff from inciting dramatic yaw. And while it largely results in terminal understeer, that stability ensures we could clip off a quick lap before overheating the tires. While it’s not the most exciting way around a track, the RS5 is easy to drive at its limits and goes into the Climbing Esses without protest at 124.9 mph. Body control is exceptional for a heavy car, and the brakes are superb. A 3:03.9 matches the Civic Type R’s lap and is 0.4 second quicker than the time set by the old V-8–bearing, 4053-pound RS5.
Does S - which will still show Individual - throw the diff into Dynamic?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I believe so.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
This is pretty big, I didnt notice that. The trans must be in S, regardless of "drive mode settings"
That's my thought as well. On my RS5, there is a night and day difference between D and S for throttle response, shift points, etc. while in Auto of Individual normally. Idle RPM is even held significantly higher, for example, and in S the exhaust is opened (unless already opened in Individual). I'm going to confirm this later tonight since I've never set Individual with all settings on Dynamic with just the Diff on comfort to see if there's a difference between D and S.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can clearly see it's in "D" here at 2:49.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just tried this in my RS5. I programmed the ADS Individual to be all Dynamic except for the Sports Diff. When you select Individual with those settings, the car automatically defaults to S. You need to manually shift it to D. In D, the throttle response is much slower and the car shifts up early to lower the RPM just like it behaves with the ADS on Auto.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I just tried this in my RS5. I programmed the ADS Individual to be all Dynamic except for the Sports Diff. When you select Individual with those settings, the car automatically defaults to S. You need to manually shift it to D. In D, the throttle response is much slower and the car shifts up early to lower the RPM just like it behaves with the ADS on Auto.
But I guess they’ll be driving pedal to the metal on the track except when braking. Wouldn’t that make the car accelerate to the redline anyway, irrespective of it being in D or S? Wouldn’t it then basically act like it was in S mode? Because of the kick down switch beneath the accelerator pedal?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Originally Posted by RichRace
I believe so.
No, it doesn't. Track driving is all about smooth throttle and brake application. S doesn't make the car faster if you are going full throttle anyway, but it makes the throttle more nervous. They might have been able to gain a little bit by using manual mode and keep the car in the gears. You can hear that it first has to downshift every time they power out of a corner. Not sure how much if any that would have gained. I assume they did several laps in various settings and ultimately this was the fastest. It was pretty boring to watch, which says more about the car I think. I agree the tire choice is terrible for the B9, but it sets the tone for the entire car. Putting PS4 on the old RS5 makes a huge difference, too, so it would be interesting to see a comparison between the old RS5 on PS4S and the new RS5 on PS4S.

Quick Reply: RS5, as quick as a Civic Type R?