Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omartalea
Just got my black grill for my 2018 A5 and cost me 230 include shipping and came from NJ
Please share the link where you bought it from.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific
Appreciate the enthusiasm To each their own I guess. I have gathered an incredible amount of free knowledge / inspiration from this forum and its members. The least I can do in return is contribute to the common purpose and help a few folks out.

Project Update: Handed over the grille, camera, and the existing OE rear camera bracket to the designer earlier today. Just received the initial renders. Need a few tweaks but this guys is on it!

Do you have any updates on the custom mount? I’m expecting the grill to be delivered in a couple days and would like to buy the mount if it’s available.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yogs
Do you have any updates on the custom mount? I’m expecting the grill to be delivered in a couple days and would like to buy the mount if it’s available.
Was actually just about to post this evening. I was away all last week on vacation and met up with the designer yesterday. Below is a pic of a printed semi-final version. I need to check this weekend if the camera angle is good and it clears the grille (field of vision does not catch the mesh below lens). May have to ask him to push the camera out a bit more... will determine after test. Part will be painted and sanded before final install. He will provide the final working file once we ensure the angles are good and camera has a clean field of view. Stay tuned, few pics below:

Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific
Was actually just about to post this evening. I was away all last week on vacation and met up with the designer yesterday. Below is a pic of a printed semi-final version. I need to check this weekend if the camera angle is good and it clears the grille (field of vision does not catch the mesh below lens). May have to ask him to push the camera out a bit more... will determine after test. Part will be painted and sanded before final install. He will provide the final working file once we ensure the angles are good and camera has a clean field of view. Stay tuned, few pics below:

Excellent! You guys did a great job, it fits very well. Please keep us posted and thank you for your time and research!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Took a bit longer than I expected but finally got a great looking print and the 3D file. I created a new thread to help with future search (so that it is not buried on page 8 in this thread). Photos and link to the .STL 3D file are there.

LINK
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Huh, does EMD no longer have the RS style grill for the B9?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
Huh, does EMD no longer have the RS style grill for the B9?
Just get an eBay one, they're the exact same identical product.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
Just get an eBay one, they're the exact same identical product.
Does the ebay one come with the parking sensors or do you switch out your existing sensors?
Old 08-17-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
Does the ebay one come with the parking sensors or do you switch out your existing sensors?
They don't come with parking sensors. If you get the grill with the large hexes throughout (like OEM RS5), you can use your existing sensors and you may need to slightly notch your bumper bar where the sensors rest so that they won't touch. Mine touch and sometimes the right-side sensor gives off false readings randomly, I think it's because I didn't notch it and it's touching the bumper bar. If you get the grill with the smaller hexes at the bottom (unlike OEM RS5), you'll need to get some low profile sensors somewhere since they're located higher up compared to the other model grill and rest over your bumper bar.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
They don't come with parking sensors. If you get the grill with the large hexes throughout (like OEM RS5), you can use your existing sensors and you may need to slightly notch your bumper bar where the sensors rest so that they won't touch. Mine touch and sometimes the right-side sensor gives off false readings randomly, I think it's because I didn't notch it and it's touching the bumper bar. If you get the grill with the smaller hexes at the bottom (unlike OEM RS5), you'll need to get some low profile sensors somewhere since they're located higher up compared to the other model grill and rest over your bumper bar.
FYI-If you choose to use the OEM sensors, it will not match the grille colour. They are grey vs black. I believe the OEM ones are also not 45 degrees L connectors, which will help give more space behind.

Last edited by arrtewwx; 08-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?