Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 B9 vibration/shaking at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S5 B9 vibration/shaking at idle?

I picked up an S5 yesterday from a trusted dealership (Cazoo) and did a quick inspection before taking the keys since they provide 90-day free warranty and 7-day free returns.

This morning I've done a more detailed check and noticed when idling (in both Dynamic and efficiency) I can feel minor and random sudden vibrations/shakes throughout the interior. The engine sounds stable, gauges show rpm is stable too. Feels like the vibrations are coming from the drive shaft?

I just wanted to check with other users if this is normal. I assumed a V6 would feel much smoother. 27,000 miles so mechanically I expected everything to be sound (FSH of course)

On another note, the passenger side ambient lighting strip isn't lighting up, upon inspection its extremely faint. Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks

Last edited by ChromeX; 08-19-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Did they fill the tank up for you? If so, they probably put cheapest fuel in it possible. Run through this tank and then put in premium and see if its still idling rough.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Forget about the drive select modes, and use the shifter to change from D mode to S mode whilst idling and see what happens to the RPMs and vibrations. It can occasionally be lumpy in D mode, as the engine is likely running in B-cycle mode (not in S mode). That should immediately disappear once you release the brake and move. If you are idling, the drive shaft shouldn't be moving. Engine should feel smooth whilst driving, but a straight 6 is smoother than a V6, in general terms - depends on Vee angle too. Main attribute of the V6 is short path lengths.

I had a failure on that same lighting strip, and the connector had come loose - service tech had knocked it when they were replacing a door speaker, took me a year to notice!

The BBC weren't so enthusiastic about Cazoo as you seem to be. And their 7 day free return is a bit cheeky. The law in the UK is 14 days for a cooling off period for distance / online purchases, and you can cancel the purchase contract at any time within that period.

But you are doing the right thing going over the car in detail, and checking everything.
The following 3 users liked this post by Glisse:
bf88 (08-19-2022), ChromeX (08-19-2022), Nikon1 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Did they fill the tank up for you? If so, they probably put cheapest fuel in it possible. Run through this tank and then put in premium and see if its still idling rough.
They are in the UK, where they don't use crap petrol. Either 95RON (E10) or 97+RON (E5). It will have 95RON, which is correct for the engine.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Forget about the drive select modes, and use the shifter to change from D mode to S mode whilst idling and see what happens to the RPMs and vibrations. It can occasionally be lumpy in D mode, as the engine is likely running in B-cycle mode (not in S mode). That should immediately disappear once you release the brake and move. If you are idling, the drive shaft shouldn't be moving. Engine should feel smooth whilst driving, but a straight 6 is smoother than a V6, in general terms - depends on Vee angle too. Main attribute of the V6 is short path lengths.

I had a failure on that same lighting strip, and the connector had come loose - service tech had knocked it when they were replacing a door speaker, took me a year to notice!

The BBC weren't so enthusiastic about Cazoo as you seem to be. And their 7 day free return is a bit cheeky. The law in the UK is 14 days for a cooling off period for distance / online purchases, and you can cancel the purchase contract at any time within that period.

But you are doing the right thing going over the car in detail, and checking everything.
Thanks for the response, will give this a go later on! I don't suppose this issue has anything to do with engine temp?

Regarding the light, thanks for the info! I've reported these issues to Cazoo (along with some other snags like a key issue, stuck buttons) and they've frozen the 7-day return period which was a nice gesture. Hopefully, I can get the car taken to a main dealer to fix the snags and have a full inspection for peace of mind.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, I did some further checks and found some concerns. Suspect this car may have had a previous repair as all the snags are isolated to the left hand size.

- Welding seam on the left hand side of the boot lid panel is odd. Almost as if a weld repair was done? Compared to the right hand side which is smooth, the left handside is rough and jagged. Also a panel gap on the left hand side compared to the right.

- LED issue on the door as previously mentioned

- Window seal issue with strange white residue along the top seal

Last edited by ChromeX; 08-20-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Doesn't the UK have a database of cars involved in accidents requiring repairs? If not — that really is a shortcoming of your system of consumer protection.

The US has CarFax and most dealers selling used cars that are reputable will provide the cars CarFax. It shows accidents; repairs; services performed.

Without that — I’d return it get my money back!

As Always — YMMV!

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
bdh1119 (08-20-2022), JD15 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Doesn't the UK have a database of cars involved in accidents requiring repairs? If not — that really is a shortcoming of your system of consumer protection.

The US has CarFax and most dealers selling used cars that are reputable will provide the cars CarFax. It shows accidents; repairs; services performed.

Without that — I’d return it get my money back!

As Always — YMMV!

— John
There is to an extent, I believe if a car is deemed economically repairable by the insurance company, it will be repaired and reinstated for road use with no mark on its record. If the insurer deems it uneconomical, it can be repaired privately but will be marked as a write off on its record.

I did a paid HPI check and its clean
Old 08-20-2022, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, that car's had a big hit on the left side, maybe much of the left side so got the door as well, have a good look around there, especially the rocker panel.

It might have been repaired via the insurance company, rather than written off (per your HPI report), but it doesn't look to have been repaired all that well.

If you otherwise like the car, and depending on the price paid, you may want to get an inspection done by an accredited Audi body shop, there will be quite a few in the UK. No idea how much this will cost though, and whether you could get this done in the time frame. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Nikon1, return it.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, that car's had a big hit on the left side, maybe much of the left side so got the door as well, have a good look around there, especially the rocker panel.

It might have been repaired via the insurance company, rather than written off (per your HPI report), but it doesn't look to have been repaired all that well.

If you otherwise like the car, and depending on the price paid, you may want to get an inspection done by an accredited Audi body shop, there will be quite a few in the UK. No idea how much this will cost though, and whether you could get this done in the time frame. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Nikon1, return it.
That's the plan hopefully, I've reported all the issues to Cazoo and they've frozen the 7-day return indefinitely until all issues are resolved. I did make mention that taking it to the main dealer to fully inspect the vehicle would be the most appropriate course, and that expense would be paid by them.

I am thinking about returning it however, I think if it passes the Audi inspection I'll likely keep it as I did get it for a good price; and hopefully, with this not being on record, it wouldn't affect the potential resale value in the future.

Quick Reply: S5 B9 vibration/shaking at idle?