Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 not selling, prices dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

IF Audi made a true 3 Door hatchback — that would have been my ultimate choice. As a senior citizen who has a wife but no kids - and, whose wife drives an SUV - I’ve had 2 door hatchbacks for the last 35 years.

Since Audi was not going for that market my choice became a 2 Door Coupe or a 4 Door Hatchback. Personal preference drove me to the S5 Coupe. After 35 years of having a hatch, it certainly is strange to have a real “trunk.”
Old 07-16-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the 70's I traded a Fiat 125 4 door sedan for a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. My wife still thinks it's crazy, but I always regretted moving from a sedan to a coupe.

So, 40 years later, I went from a sedan to a BMW 428i. It made sense at the time as I rarely have back seat passengers. But, it brought back to me the convenience of having rear doors for everything from ease of cleaning the interior of the car to putting things in the back seat.

I love hatches for carrying stuff and I'm rapt in my S5 and find it hard to imagine that it won't become the top seller of the range by a substantial margin. The practicality is outstanding and it still manages to look gorgeous.

I guess over the years we all figure out what works best for our individual circumstances and preferences and I think I've achieved that at last.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Same here — I’m not looking to be combative with anyone. As Tony M so nicely put it - “we all figure out what works best for our individual circumstances”

Part of the “Wisdom of Aging” I think.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If I never have any rear seat passenger, then I would prefer a coupe because it is shorter. On the other hand, if I never have any rear seat passenger, I would problem look at the TT or another 2 seater. ....
...indeed, my original idea was to walk into the dealer and buy a TT, but I didn’t care for the cabin as soon as I sat in it. And then is saw on the way out the s5 coupe which got my attention. :-)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say a 4 door has a lot of advantage over a 2 door but what is the advantage of a 2 door over a 4 door? The only thing I can think of is the side profile of the car, but it is very hard to beat the side profile of the sportback, it has one heck of a gorgeous silhouette.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would say a 4 door has a lot of advantage over a 2 door but what is the advantage of a 2 door over a 4 door? The only thing I can think of is the side profile of the car, but it is very hard to beat the side profile of the sportback, it has one heck of a gorgeous silhouette.
...an advantage” I definitively appreciate is the openes of view. The B pillar is out of my way everytime I comfortably turn my head without any extra stretch.
probably I’ll never go back to a four door.
the design is always subjective...
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default really?

Originally Posted by Abtpl
...an advantage” I definitively appreciate is the openes of view. The B pillar is out of my way everytime I comfortably turn my head without any extra stretch.
probably I’ll never go back to a four door.
the design is always subjective...
The C pillar is considerably reduced on the Sportback. I have no issue with someone preferring the coupe, especially as a second vehicle. But suggesting that the coupe offers better visibility is erroneous.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

True dat.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
Back in the 70's I traded a Fiat 125 4 door sedan for a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. My wife still thinks it's crazy, but I always regretted moving from a sedan to a coupe.

So, 40 years later, I went from a sedan to a BMW 428i. It made sense at the time as I rarely have back seat passengers. But, it brought back to me the convenience of having rear doors for everything from ease of cleaning the interior of the car to putting things in the back seat.

I love hatches for carrying stuff and I'm rapt in my S5 and find it hard to imagine that it won't become the top seller of the range by a substantial margin. The practicality is outstanding and it still manages to look gorgeous.

I guess over the years we all figure out what works best for our individual circumstances and preferences and I think I've achieved that at last.
This is why I drove S4's for the last 20 years and opted for the Sportback when it was introduced here. I rarely carry more than on passenger but I love the added convenience of those 2 back doors for stowing stuff behind the front seats like my laptop bag. Back in the last millennium I had 2 different coupe's, one was a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and the other was a Mitsu GSX. Enjoyed both of those cars at the time, but I don't miss the extra gymnastics of moving the front seat up to access the rear passenger compartment.

I also agree about the hatchback. I love how much more practical it is than the standard trunk on the S4. The GSX was a hatch but I had forgotten just how useful those were when it came to loading bulky items like a hockey bag. Only downside is that it's too easy to over pack the cargo area to the point where the hatch won't be able to close. Gotta remember not to overstuff. Speaking of which I recently learned that the parcel shelf has a nifty breakaway feature. The clips that hold it to the hatch will break free without snapping the mounting brackets. Don't ask me how I figured this out
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
The C pillar is considerably reduced on the Sportback. I have no issue with someone preferring the coupe, especially as a second vehicle. But suggesting that the coupe offers better visibility is erroneous.
I didn’t say better nor I compared the two designs. I know what I know, and I can simply say that not having the B pillar right on my side is an “advantage” for me! And frankly who would complain about that...

Quick Reply: S5 not selling, prices dropping?