Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB Engine Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

..yet..

2018 Audi S4 First Test: So Quick! But? - Motor Trend
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The video confirms Audi claim. But njspeedfreak states that's pure marketing bunk and that the sound is fed from a digital source into the soundaktor.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 182 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
The video confirms Audi claim. But njspeedfreak states that's pure marketing bunk and that the sound is fed from a digital source into the soundaktor.
Yeah - the video *IS* the marketing bunk, and every reviewer keeps buying it. Notice how the Audi rep fast talks his way right past the question hoping he doesn't get called out on it.

But don't take my word for it, try it yourself if you have access to an ODBeleven or similar device. Put the soundaktor into self test mode and try to convince yourself that those are not artificial sounds being pumped in and are just "augmenting" the natural engine noise.

Or just watch this video where someone does it on a VW with the same exact soundaktor.

Last edited by njspeedfreak; 02-06-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 182 Likes on 104 Posts

Here is an even better video. In this one they removed the soundaktor from the firewall and are using it to resonate a plastic bowl. You can clearly hear the sound that it is pumping into the cars cabin when resonating through the firewall and windshield.

Totally 100% fake engine noise. Not the same way that other companies do it, but fake none the less. And let me be clear, I think there is nothing wrong with this. The way Audi/VW designed this system it sounds much more natural that the others because it resonates through the firewall in exactly the same way the real engine noises do. So what we hear vibrating odd the firewall is actually a combination of the real engine noise plus whatever the soundaktor is adding in. After trying it on and off, I prefer it to be on. Otherwise the cabin just sounds dead.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Here is an even better video. In this one they removed the soundaktor from the firewall and are using it to resonate a plastic bowl. You can clearly hear the sound that it is pumping into the cars cabin when resonating through the firewall and windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5602W6ls18

Totally 100% fake engine noise. Not the same way that other companies do it, but fake none the less. And let me be clear, I think there is nothing wrong with this. The way Audi/VW designed this system it sounds much more natural that the others because it resonates through the firewall in exactly the same way the real engine noises do. So what we hear vibrating odd the firewall is actually a combination of the real engine noise plus whatever the soundaktor is adding in. After trying it on and off, I prefer it to be on. Otherwise the cabin just sounds dead.
does comfort mode equal to ‘no soundaktor’ and does dynamic mode equal to soundaktor engaged? Isn't it the same effect as remove the fuse? Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely separate from the soundaktor, "dynamic exhaust mode" also does something to the tuning of the engine to get the overrun pops out of the exhaust. It has nothing to do with the valves on the exhaust itself. My exhaust valves are unplugged and always open. APR is offering this "exhaust pop" feature through tuning now for other cars. I assume they are doing something similar to what Audi has done.

-Eli
Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I didn't pull the fuse, I used OBDeleven to set the volume parameter to 0%. Drove that way for about a week and then reset it back to 100% where I've left it ever since.

The control module has a self test feature which causes the soundaktor to go through a frequency sweep from low to high. You can rally hear both the tones that it is capable of as well as the volume it can produce. There are some cool youtube videos where people take soundaktors from an car and re-purpose them as low quality audio speakers by holding the resonator against some solid object.

I just got my S5 yesterday and did some mods but I didnt see an app for the soundaktor like there was for my S3. so where does one find this section in obdeleven? I hate fake engine sounds and will immediately turn it off if I learn how. TIA