Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Speaker rattles/vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Speaker rattles/vibrations

I've seriously reached a breaking point with this, don't know what to do anymore, and am looking for advice.

I've had endless problems with the B&O speakers since day 1. It started with the center dash speaker making a high pitched buzz when music featuring a piano started playing. Took it in once and they replaced the speaker cover, but it still wasn't fixed. On the 2nd try they replaced the speaker and while it still occasionally buzzes, it's rare and livable. Next the speaker in the left rear passenger side simply died, which was replaced without issue. Now the right passenger door speaker buzzes and vibrates the whole door when playing bass in the 70-80Hz range. I've literally taken it in 3 times for this, and the problem is still there (they just play random music to test, when it's certain songs needed). the last fix claimed that they applied felt tape to the speaker housing. Now they are telling me they "can't hear it", and when I exert pressure on the door and the buzz goes away, they are trying to tell me that's normal. I'm about to simply take it to some car audio shop to see if they can do something and avoid the endless frustration of the dealership, but am worried that they might mess up the door getting it apart, or it might mess up the warranty. Anybody have any advice? I'm at wits end-- my car has literally spent 20+ days in the shop just for speaker related crap that isn't even fixed.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Please tell us exactly which model and year you have.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice but can offer that I do have a few annoying speaker grille rattles with the B&O as well. Primarily it's the rear decklid subwoofer grille (behind the rear passengers) and the front passenger footwell speaker. They rattle or vibrate depending on volume and song / frequency. It's not all the time and it's not so obnoxious that I can't stand it, but it is annoying and I plan to have the dealer add some felt tape under the speaker grille contacts (that same technique worked to address the same issue in my 2012 A5 coupe with B&O).
Old 03-18-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

2018 S5 Sportback. And yes it's the passenger footwell sub speaker in the door. I've spoken to a few audio shops and they said they'll be able to take care of it no problem, so going to try that as my final recourse. Pathetic that Audi won't fix it and I'll have to pay to get a properly functional sound system, but it's driving me nuts and I'm tired with fighting with my dealership over it.