Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sports Coupe --> SUV/Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Sports Coupe --> SUV/Truck

Has anyone gone from sports coupes to trucks? I've owned nothing but sports coupes my entire life but recently, the thought of a truck/SUV has me intrigued. Really intrigued. Has anyone ever made the jump? Something like a King Ranch or a Raptor maybe? I still have a year and a half on my lease, but I think a family member would be more than happy to drive the car. Any opinions or experiences anyone can share?
Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I have actually never owned a truck, but I do like the new 2500 trucks from the major 3 (really 4 if GMC is included).
I just don't really have use for a truck do I decide to stick to cars/SUVs.
If you're like me, maybe you should consider a coupe SUV over a truck. Like the new Q8, Cayenne Coupe, X4/X6, or GLE coupe.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Get both. Wife and I have a TTS and an SQ5.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

My wife has an F-150 Super Crew cab. I do my best *NOT* to have to drive it. I'm sure if I took the time eventually I would get used to it, but it feels just so damn HUGE! It definitely serves a utilitarian purpose in our house, but unless I'm hauling sheets of plywood or pulling a horse trailer, I don't even find riding in it as a passenger all that comfortable. And simple things like finding a parking spot at the grocery store turn into a chore due to it's massive size compared to an A5/S5.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

It may depend on many things, but I hate the size of a full size truck.

I drove a Suburban XL 2019 last week, plus tons of Chevy pick-ups and hated driving every of them.

At least they had a nice V8 growl (Hemi rules) ... that's it.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
My wife has an F-150 Super Crew cab. I do my best *NOT* to have to drive it. I'm sure if I took the time eventually I would get used to it, but it feels just so damn HUGE! It definitely serves a utilitarian purpose in our house, but unless I'm hauling sheets of plywood or pulling a horse trailer, I don't even find riding in it as a passenger all that comfortable. And simple things like finding a parking spot at the grocery store turn into a chore due to it's massive size compared to an A5/S5.
Easy fix: park way out next to my A5 (even though there are hundreds of other spots) like all the other jags do.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

They're fine as long as you're okay going only 15 mph on curves.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 240sx, then switched to a new Jeep Wrangler. It was fun at first, but it wore off. Slow steering and braking reactions, squirrely in turns, rough ride. Loud on long drives, can't hear music or talk to a passenger. Even little things you don't think of, like the windshield on a coupe is raked back further, so you get less chips, pits, and bugs on your drive. I went through 4 windshields in 45k. Bad gad mileage. And really, you spend 99% of the time on asphalt if it's your only vehicle. Cars are more purpose designed for road driving than trucks.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gone back and forth between trucks and cars over the past few years. Prior to my B9 S5 I had a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L V8. The big V8 made driving it quite fun, and I have always enjoyed the commanding view of the road that full-size trucks provide. However, the interior materials definitely did not feel like a $50k+ purchase and I moved to downtown Dallas which made driving much more of a chore. I ultimately downsized to the sportback to still retain some utility, while also having a sporty ride. I occasionally miss having a truck, and did place a deposit for one of the Rivian vehicles a few months ago. So I may also be making that move in the next 2 years or so.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Shouldn’t “the need dictate the vehicle?” Unless there is some desire to project a certain image, why goe from a luxury coupe to a “monster truck?”

Just my question / opinion.

— John

Quick Reply: Sports Coupe --> SUV/Truck