Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Spotted in Ingolstadt: 2018 RS5 Coupe - Daytona Grey/Black Optics

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
The wheels still look like they belong on the inside of a food processor!

I agree, but it is a good thing.....

precision blades spinning at high speed !!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering about the pricing. I don't know what the last RS5 cost, so I don't have much of a point of reference.

It seems as though converting euros to USD doesn't make much sense. In Germany, the RS5 starts at just over 80k Euros, which is over $86k. Maybe I'm really ignorant, but that seems high. Besides, the base prices of the S and RS cars in Germany seems WAY higher than the comparable models here. For example, the base price for an S4 is almost 60k Euros. That's over $67k here! (Oh, and their a la carte options seem overwhelming! lol)

Maybe this is too simplistic, but in looking at the base prices of the S7 vs RS7, there's about a 38% increase to the RS model. Doing the same thing with the base price of the S5 ... that yields a base price of about $74,600.

Is it dumb/inaccurate to think of it in terms like that? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
I'm wondering about the pricing. I don't know what the last RS5 cost, so I don't have much of a point of reference.

It seems as though converting euros to USD doesn't make much sense. In Germany, the RS5 starts at just over 80k Euros, which is over $86k. Maybe I'm really ignorant, but that seems high. Besides, the base prices of the S and RS cars in Germany seems WAY higher than the comparable models here. For example, the base price for an S4 is almost 60k Euros. That's over $67k here! (Oh, and their a la carte options seem overwhelming! lol)

Maybe this is too simplistic, but in looking at the base prices of the S7 vs RS7, there's about a 38% increase to the RS model. Doing the same thing with the base price of the S5 ... that yields a base price of about $74,600.

Not dumb at all. The German price includes a 20% tax, so take that out and you get closer. With the MLB model ranges (but not the MQB models), Audi of America have loaded US cars with a lot of optional equipment as standard spec over the last few years. I am sure it makes it easier to sell the car, but it has a very significant impact on margins.

In the past, this didn't matter so much. But now, it matters a lot.

In terms of the RS models, they sell the RS3 and the TT-RS at similar price levels US to Germany. And the RS price gap in the US against S3/TTS is about right.

But the RS5 is going to be a problem for them. Your back of the envelope calculations look right to me. And a $75,000 base price is close to the base price of the car in Germany. Except US (potential) customers would not buy the base version - they will expect the same level of equipment as on the "standard" S5 models. Which adds about $12,000 to the price, and takes a huge chunk of margin out of a limited volume vehicle. Which is only "tolerated" by the VAG board if it returns better than average margins. The B9 RS5 cabriolet has been rejected by the board because it could not generate sufficient margins to warrant producing it. RS vehicles only account for around 1.2% of Audi's production, but they have to make money now. In the past, marketing/brand image was the primary role of RS.

And it also means the price gap between RS3/TT RS and an RS5 in the US would be ridiculously small.

Interesting to see what Audi do with US spec/pricing. If I was in the US and even slightly interested in the car, I would be putting my name down with a dealer.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Not dumb at all. The German price includes a 20% tax, so take that out and you get closer. With the MLB model ranges (but not the MQB models), Audi of America have loaded US cars with a lot of optional equipment as standard spec over the last few years. I am sure it makes it easier to sell the car, but it has a very significant impact on margins.

In the past, this didn't matter so much. But now, it matters a lot.

In terms of the RS models, they sell the RS3 and the TT-RS at similar price levels US to Germany. And the RS price gap in the US against S3/TTS is about right.

But the RS5 is going to be a problem for them. Your back of the envelope calculations look right to me. And a $75,000 base price is close to the base price of the car in Germany. Except US (potential) customers would not buy the base version - they will expect the same level of equipment as on the "standard" S5 models. Which adds about $12,000 to the price, and takes a huge chunk of margin out of a limited volume vehicle. Which is only "tolerated" by the VAG board if it returns better than average margins. The B9 RS5 cabriolet has been rejected by the board because it could not generate sufficient margins to warrant producing it. RS vehicles only account for around 1.2% of Audi's production, but they have to make money now. In the past, marketing/brand image was the primary role of RS.

And it also means the price gap between RS3/TT RS and an RS5 in the US would be ridiculously small.

Interesting to see what Audi do with US spec/pricing. If I was in the US and even slightly interested in the car, I would be putting my name down with a dealer.
This is very interesting. I appreciate the reply. I didn't know about how the pricing works in Germany. On a side note, according to the Audi France website, the base price there is 95k Euros ... or $107k!! Yikes!!

There haven't been many price estimates that I've seen, other than Car & Driver's (low $70s), that don't simply convert the Euros to USD.

I already have put my name on a dealer's list, so now I wait until prices and build sheets become available to them. I'm just trying to brace myself and be prepared.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris

I am willing to bet high 70s USD. Loaded up will push into the low 90s
Old 06-04-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
I am willing to bet high 70s USD. Loaded up will push into the low 90s
Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Is there something different about the S5 --> RS5 "jump" that would warrant that kind of price premium (nearly 45%) in the US that doesn't exist in Germany (29%), France (25%), or the UK (31%). And by the way, I don't know much about car pricing in other countries, which is why I'm asking. Even the S7 --> RS7 here in the US only has a 38% price increase.

I'm not trying to be contrary, just curious and looking for understanding. Is it fair to say that C&Ds base estimate of low $70s is way off then?

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's going to cost the same as an M4 or C63 Coupe. It just has to.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stankia
It's going to cost the same as an M4 or C63 Coupe. It just has to.
Yeah, it would seem to me to be a bit strange for the so-called M4/C63 AMG ($66.4k and $67k) competitor to be over ten THOUsand more than either of them (base price). But what do I know ... ?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

A BMW M4 with metallic paint, DSG gearbox and competition pack (which would be needed to get close to a B9 RS5's performance) starts at $78,150 in the US.

A Mercedes C63S starts from $76,000 without any options.

The RS5 is likely to be in the ballpark of these prices. The issue is what will come as standard, what are options, and how much the options will cost. I doubt any final decision has been made yet.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
A BMW M4 with metallic paint, DSG gearbox and competition pack (which would be needed to get close to a B9 RS5's performance) starts at $78,150 in the US.

A Mercedes C63S starts from $76,000 without any options.

The RS5 is likely to be in the ballpark of these prices. The issue is what will come as standard, what are options, and how much the options will cost. I doubt any final decision has been made yet.
Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it!

I have played around with BMWs car configuator to see what they're like. The M4 I put together with those options ended up at $77,945. (base 66,400 + paint 1,950 + leather 950 + competition package 4,750 + auto trans 2,900 + destination 995) I wonder why their metallic paint is so much more ($1,950) than Audi's ($575)?! That car defaults to a $3,500 leather seating option; the $950 for leather was a different option.

I wasn't sure which Merc was more inline with the RS5. Based on their website, I couldn't tell which of these was the more appropriate match.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...1&d=1496722512

Of course, time (and Audi) will tell. I'm just not a particularly patient person. haha
Attached Thumbnails Spotted in Ingolstadt: 2018 RS5 Coupe - Daytona Grey/Black Optics-capture.jpg