Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

STEK DYNOShield - Modesta BC-04 - SunTek CIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
The shop that did my Xpel tint went edge-to-edge on all the windows — fixed and moving. That was one of the questions I asked during the initial interview.
That looks great! This is exactly how I would expect my windows to look.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by heymoe
If one does a full wrap with STEK DYNOshield, is there any reason to apply a ceramic coating on top of the film? I head of some people doing this but it looks like a lot, if not all, of the characteristics / benefits you get from using a ceramic coating are already provided by the wrap such as gloss / shine, protection (dirt, chemicals, UV, etc.), hydrophobic properties (easier to wash / rinse) and scratch resistance. Plus the wrap can self heal to a point.

I could see utilizing a ceramic coating on the wheels though.
So I've been doing a lot of research lately on tint, ceramic coatings and paint protection films. Ceramic coatings and paint protection film has some of the same benefits but they also have individual benefits that make them best used together. Here's a chart I found that helps explain:

STEK PPF has more gloss then XPEL and also has a hydrophobic surface but the gloss wont be as nice and last as long as something like Modesta.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

It looks like, at least for the STEK, the only thing that you might really be gaining by putting Modesta / a ceramic coating on top of it is a better gloss and maybe never wax again. STEK has the Hydrophobic surface, which would also make it easier to clean I would assume, and really not sure why "keep contaminates off the paint" isn't a shared feature of both products. I mean a contaminate would have to work it way though 8mm of the STEK to get to the paint.

I'm not sure if the extra gloss and maybe never having to wax again would really be worth the extra expense but something for me to think about I guess..

I also wonder if the ceramic coating would prevent the self-healing properties of the STEK from doing it's thing?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by heymoe
It looks like, at least for the STEK, the only thing that you might really be gaining by putting Modesta / a ceramic coating on top of it is a better gloss and maybe never wax again. STEK has the Hydrophobic surface, which would also make it easier to clean I would assume, and really not sure why "keep contaminates off the paint" isn't a shared feature of both products. I mean a contaminate would have to work it way though 8mm of the STEK to get to the paint.

I'm not sure if the extra gloss and maybe never having to wax again would really be worth the extra expense but something for me to think about I guess..

I also wonder if the ceramic coating would prevent the self-healing properties of the STEK from doing it's thing?
From what I've read the hydrophobic surface of the STEK film wears off after a while. It does not last as long as the film does. The other films such as SunTek and XPEL don't have a hydrophobic surface. As far as "keeping contaminates off the paint" I agree with you that both PPF and ceramic seems like they would offer this protection but I also don't know the science behind the chemicals used in these products. Maybe the plastic in PPF could allow a liquid to soak into the film and could still contaminate the paint whereas the ceramic coating is a hard "glass" surface that the liquid just slides off of.

From all the research I've done most recommend both for the best protection. Obviously do what you feel is best and worth it. STEK seems to be on to something though as their film definitely seems to be the best in the market currently.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I've been narrowing down my detail shop choices for when I take delivery. This most recent dealer I spoke with has said that most shops have issues with the creases in the hood of the RS3 and he says the RS5 has a similar hood. Something about the film not wanting to fit in the creases properly and lifting when curing. Has anyone had any issues on there A5,S5 or RS5 with the PPF on the hood? I get the feeling this shop is not experienced with Audi or very good in general as I haven't heard this from any other shop.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
So I've been narrowing down my detail shop choices for when I take delivery. This most recent dealer I spoke with has said that most shops have issues with the creases in the hood of the RS3 and he says the RS5 has a similar hood. Something about the film not wanting to fit in the creases properly and lifting when curing. Has anyone had any issues on there A5,S5 or RS5 with the PPF on the hood? I get the feeling this shop is not experienced with Audi or very good in general as I haven't heard this from any other shop.
My installer was a 'travelling' installer. He came to my shop to do the PPF. The hood took him waaaay longer than he anticipated. I didn't sit there and watch him do it, but in the little bit I saw, he was really working the film to get the perfect fit and all the liquid / air from under the film. I do not have any issues with lifting anywhere on the hood.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
My installer was a 'travelling' installer. He came to my shop to do the PPF. The hood took him waaaay longer than he anticipated. I didn't sit there and watch him do it, but in the little bit I saw, he was really working the film to get the perfect fit and all the liquid / air from under the film. I do not have any issues with lifting anywhere on the hood.
Thanks for the response! Sounds like the hood does require a little more work. The guy I spoke with just didn't seem to confident. I think I'll just pass on that shop.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Suntek PPFU one piece on entire hood of my car, wrapped around the edges, you cant even tell its on there. It can be done, just need someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Suntek PPFU one piece on entire hood of my car, wrapped around the edges, you cant even tell its on there. It can be done, just need someone who knows what they are doing.
Yeah I don't think this guy has the experience I'm looking for and he was more expensive.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Modesta BC-04

I just had my A5 coated with Modesta BC-04 and am very pleased with the results! The installer did a tremendous job and the finish is super glossy and hard. Looking forward to the long term benefits. Highly recommended!

Quick Reply: STEK DYNOShield - Modesta BC-04 - SunTek CIR