Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Thoughts on upgrading to B9 Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thoughts on upgrading to B9 Cab?

I've owned my S5 Cab B8.5 for 5 years now and was considering upgrading to the 2019/2020 models. I've been reading various posts on this forum, but would love to get thoughts from those who have upgraded (B8.5 to B9) or have a B9 cab on what they like/dislike/problems/etc.

Also, any insights on what pricing vs. MSRP people are getting would be appreciated.

TIA, -DJ
Old 05-08-2020, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Upgraded our B8 S5 cabriolet to the B9. Had the B9 S5 Sportback for around 6 months whilst still had the B8 cab, so made comparisons even easier:
  • The front end, in terms of suspension and steering, is better in the B9.
  • With S adaptive suspension, the B9 is much more comfortable in Comfort mode than the B8 was.
  • The B9 is much quieter.
  • The chassis is stiffer in the B9, you feel it.
  • The Sport differential in the B9 feels better integrated than the B8 version - it transitions more smoothly.
  • I find the S Sport seats in the B9 more comfortable than the B8.
  • The character of the cars is a little different - the B9 is more refined, softer, more a GT style. The B8 a little more aggressive.
  • I preferred the engine and transmission in the B8. More character, and the dual clutch felt more direct. But whilst the dual clutch was quicker on the upshifts, it was slower on the down shifts. You do notice the additional torque in the turbocharged engine, which suits the extra weight of the cab. But it feels a little flat compared to the supercharged engine, even if it is quicker.
  • D mode in the B9 is a little less responsive than in the B8 - but I didn't like it much in the B8 either, and typically drove it in S mode unless on the highway. I actually use D mode more in the B9.
  • The B9 is more two dimensional - can be both comfortable and aggressive depending on how you set the car up, and drive it. The B8 more one dimensional.
Worth doing a comparison test with the AMG C43 Cab (which is not around for much longer).
The following users liked this post:
gchaps (05-09-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

• The character of the cars is a little different - the B9 is more refined, softer, more a GT style. The B8 a little more aggressive.
I too came from a B8.5 coupe. I miss some aspects of that car but enjoy others of the B9. I definitely have to agree with this statement the most. It's a little more of a "Luxury" car than the previous version.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I OWN S5 CABRIOLET... not sure why others that don’t are commenting..

I also came for a B8.5 Cab. Wouldn’t look back. I went with the Prestige loaded to the gills, heads up display, etc...except the heated and cooled seats. I much prefer the Sport Seats. Had the Cold Weather Milano Leather package, neck scarf, in my B8.5 and hated those seats they looked like grandpa’s furniture and no bolster support. I get many good compliments on the new one more than the old one. This one draws more attention.

The Good:
1. Stiffer Chassis by a mile feels like a coupe. My last one would shudder over 50mph on the highway this one is rock solid!
2. Styling makes the previous model look dated but did like the old styling less Japanese looking.
3. Interior is miles ahead over the old really dates the previous generation night and day!
4. Technology with Virtual Cockpit and Apple Car Play
5. Performance
6. Exhaust Note in Individual Mode always drive in Sport Mode.. gas mileage still sucks like my old one.
7. The sport seats with massage are awesome! They are just gorgeous with the diamond stitching and make the car’s interior.

The Bad:
1. Feels overall cheaper built than my B8.5
2. B&O Stereo SUCKS and very weak compared to my B8.5 this is my biggest gripe! Audi is selling a branded system that IS NOT! It’s garbage!
3. Car feels bigger
4. Power Top feels cheaper
5. Audi has cut back on the personalization now they just use “S” obviously to differentiate from the RS5 that is branded throughout like the old S5s and not happy about that. Audi just cutting costs and corners to save a buck and charging more.
6. Range of the key fob to lower the top is you literally have to be standing on top of the car and hold the button down twice to get the top to open. Doesn’t always work. Just crap.
7. Much preferred the Dual Clutch Transmission of the previous model than the current.

Last edited by B8 S FOR; 05-10-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ 2.7T
I've owned my S5 Cab B8.5 for 5 years now and was considering upgrading to the 2019/2020 models. I've been reading various posts on this forum, but would love to get thoughts from those who have upgraded (B8.5 to B9) or have a B9 cab on what they like/dislike/problems/etc.

Also, any insights on what pricing vs. MSRP people are getting would be appreciated.

TIA, -DJ
The S4 and S5 share the same chassis and interior. I had the B8 S4 for 2 years, a B8.5 S4 for 6 years, and now have a B9 RS5 SB for 16 months. My B8.5 S4 had APR Stage 2 ECU and TCU.

I prefer the transmission in the B8.5. It was a dual clutch that provided a more direct connection with the engine, more instantaneous response to the throttle, smoother shifting (especially with the APR TCU), and was better behaved. The transmission in the B9 is an automatic and, while it seems to make a lot of people happy, it feels like a step down to me. That said, it's hard to find a similar performance car from any manufacturer that does not have a similar automatic transmission. I am also not fond of the MMI display sitting on top of the dash and prefer the integrated approach in the B8 and B8.5 but, in practice, it is not really an issue. It does not obstruct the view in any way, so my objection is more cosmetic than functional.

Other than the transmission and location of the MMI display, I prefer everything about the B9 over the B8.5. Keep in mind I am comparing an RS to an S model (with a tune), but the S and RS models are nearly identical in some areas, such as the interior. It is faster, has a wonderful interior, handles better, gets better mileage, more quiet, better MMI, more bells and whistles. Everything is dialed up a notch.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dan99
The S4 and S5 share the same chassis and ...
The S5 cabriolet is on the same shorter wheelbase chassis as the S5 coupé. The S5 Sportback shares the same longer wheelbase as the S4.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
I OWN S5 CABRIOLET... not sure why others that don’t are commenting..
6. Range of the key fob to lower the top is you literally have to be standing on top of the car and hold the button down hard to get the top to open. Just crap.
I OWN A B9 S5 CABRIOLET TOO 😂

Probably no big deal to the OP if others chip in with general comments on B8 vs B9, so don't get upset.

The range of the key fob to open and close the top is deliberately limited for very obvious safety reasons. And it doesn't need a hard press, it needs two consecutive presses to operate. You will find that information in the manual. My B8 (CABRIOLET!!) didn't work at all in terms of remote top opening.
The following users liked this post:
Jarednys5 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The S5 cabriolet is on the same shorter wheelbase chassis as the S5 coupé. The S5 Sportback shares the same longer wheelbase as the S4.
I believe the point of the thread is really B8.5 vs B9.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the insights as I I'll see what cars are available and what I can work out under MSRP. I love my car, but want to see what deals are possible on a new model.

TIA- DJ
Old 05-11-2020, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just as an update looks like deals on the 2019 are pretty good. 0% financing for 66 months and I’m getting more than 16k off MSRP on the 2019 Cab. I realize that we are in pandemic and financial downturn, but not sure if deals will be better in the future on 2020 cars.

Also, anyone buy Audicare...$999 for 20k/30k/40k/50k Package and is it worth it as I didn’t see any major service like the B8.5 transmission at 35k?

thanks, DJ

Quick Reply: Thoughts on upgrading to B9 Cab?