Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Unusual behavior starting in dynamic mode (S5 SB)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual behavior starting in dynamic mode (S5 SB)

So I have been driving around in the S5 SB prestige with sport differential and dynamic steering for a month now, and generally loving it. However, some quirks are popping up over time. One of them is the backup overhead camera not sticking (covered in a different thread). More unusual is with the behavior of the drive select feature.

I currently have the individual setting mirroring that of the dynamic setting. I leave the car in dynamic all of the time, so that as I turn off the engine, it is in dynamic mode. The next morning, when I start the car, the display confirms that I am in dynamic mode, but rather than being in S mode, it defaults to starting in D mode. Not too difficult to pull the shift lever back again to switch to S mode after that. What I find interesting is that if I leave it in D mode, and switch to the individual setting (essentially the same setting as dynamic), it will switch to S mode, the exhaust sound becomes louder, and the steering response becomes quicker. It is almost as if starting in the alleged dynamic mode is actually a mislabeled Comfort mode. Unfortunately, at least in my hands, I can't truly tell with street driving whether the suspension/transmission is in dynamic vs comfort.

Can anyone else confirm this? Or am I looking too hard?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Car always starts in D. To switch to S, you have to use the shift lever or select (or reselect) dynamic (or individual if set as dynamic).

Last edited by Yoshimura; 12-19-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Someone else here said S mode is remembered when they start the car as long as it's in Dynamic mode (not Individual even if each option is in Dynamic). I haven't found that to be the case for my Coupe as it always starts in D mode regardless of what it was when I last shut it off, even if I have it set to Dynamic.

But then again my overhead camera always remembers to be in camera mode too, where others have found that to not be the case.

So it appears that not all '18 S5s act the same.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

My P+ remembers whatever drive mode it was shut off in.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure you aren't confusing the D (meaning Drive) for a D representing Dynamic. When you pull back on the gear shift it switches to an "S".
Old 12-20-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steviekallday
Are you sure you aren't confusing the D (meaning Drive) for a D representing Dynamic. When you pull back on the gear shift it switches to an "S".
Are you asking me that question? If I shut my car off in S mode it goes straight to S mode on the next restart. Same with D mode. This works in Individual and dynamic mode. (not sure on the other modes)

-Eli
Old 12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I leave my S5 in the Dynamic drive select mode. Every time I start the car it will be in Park when I start the car. When I shift to Drive it will be in Drive (D) mode. I have to pull the shifter back again to get to S.

The only time I have seen it automatically switch to Sport (S) is when changing from one of the other drive select modes (Comfort, Auto, etc) to Dynamic.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jamis and I have the same experience. I guess Eli your car is setup differently?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Either that or it has something to do with the VCDS coding to make my gear display at all times.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamis
I leave my S5 in the Dynamic drive select mode. Every time I start the car it will be in Park when I start the car. When I shift to Drive it will be in Drive (D) mode. I have to pull the shifter back again to get to S.

The only time I have seen it automatically switch to Sport (S) is when changing from one of the other drive select modes (Comfort, Auto, etc) to Dynamic.
Same behavior here. I also coded my car to display gears, and it makes no difference.

Quick Reply: Unusual behavior starting in dynamic mode (S5 SB)