Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

white metallic paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white metallic paint

greetings

i recently purchased a 2018 a5 sb in glacier white.
when looking for touch up paint no dealers in my area had any stock of oem paint.

a few who did have it actually had it produced and packaged by local body shops for their parts departments, which is something i have never heard of before.
i have seen a couple claiming to be oem on ebay but it is was all limited to the russia area, and although it did have eom packaging im not so sure.

im now shopping for a new q5 in tofana white crystal. its listed as a color choice in the audi q5 sales brochure, but dealers are all claiming its unavailable.
and when i checked it was also not listed on the audi website. the 2018 brochures were recently printed ,so what could have happened in that very short time from then to now.

i live in n.y. / n.j. area so i dont know if this is a regional or national issue. and i dont know if its a production or distribution issue.
so my question is ,is audi having some kind of problem with their metallic white paints, and if so what is it.
and if any here might have actually seen both whites ,whats the difference between glacier ,and tofana .

Last edited by pal joey; 09-19-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25016817
Old 09-19-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

you sent me to my previous post about my a5.

i stated i am now shopping for a q5 and encountered another white metallic paint issue.
my questions werent answered there regarding the a5 paint , and there is now another issue regarding the q5 paint .

Last edited by pal joey; 09-19-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought you were still looking for the paint. Someone provided a link.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I thought you were still looking for the paint. Someone provided a link.
ok ... thanks for offering to help
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Well the first thing to know is that Audi does not manufacture paint (no automakers do), rather they design a color and then get people who do make paint such as Standox or Glasurit or whoever else to supply it for their factories. They could switch suppliers at any time for any reason during the production run and two otherwise identical cars might receive different brands of paint simply by being built at different times.

Body shops don't buy paint from the same people as Audi either...they buy it locally from whoever makes paint locally, and then mix it at their shop to match the metal flaking and color blend to Audi's exact specifications.

Those "OEM paint pens" you can buy are just a packaged version of that. They aren't made by Audi nor are they necessarily made by the same paint brand that supplied paint to Audi's factory for your car.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 09-19-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Well the first thing to know is that Audi does not manufacture paint (no automakers do), rather they design a color and then get people who do make paint such as Standox or Glasurit or whoever else to supply it for their factories. They could switch suppliers at any time for any reason during the production run and two otherwise identical cars might receive different brands of paint simply by being built at different times.

Body shops don't buy paint from the same people as Audi either...they buy it locally from whoever makes paint locally, and then mix it at their shop to match the metal flaking and color blend to Audi's exact specifications.

Those "OEM paint pens" you can buy are just a packaged version of that. They aren't made by Audi nor are they necessarily made by the same paint brand that supplied paint to Audi's factory for your car.
thank you...thats good to know.
i would think most feel much more confident when a auto manufacturer puts its name on a product and makes it available within its distribution network. its usually readily available, regulated and warrantied.

i still dont know why my local audi dealers 2 out of 6 either have no inventory, or the couple that do are getting it from local body shops. which leads me to think that none will be coming from audi any time soon.
its audi's responsibility not the dealerships to manufacture or procure and provide parts and accessories .

aside from the touch up paint, why would audi offer a color in a new sales brochure only a couple of months old with a notation , that they cant say when it will be available or even if it will be available .
you would expect a company as large as audi to be be more decisive or precise before advertising and promoting something.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Forgive me, but I'm lost. What is your actual question/concern? Are you unable to find glacier white touchup paint or what do you exactly need? Have you tried asking your dealer if they can get it?

As for "putting their name on it" they don't do that for tires or engine oil either...and as with tires, most dealers aren't going to keep a full arsenal of every original equipment paint color or tire ever made for on their shelves, but would be happy to get it for you (and in just a day or three) if you ask.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer explained to me that those paint sticks 'go bad'. So they have to order them each time, and don't keep them in stock.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It was already covered in Joe's other thread that AoA ceased sale of that particular color, which is a 3 part process, due to people complaining about the color match - - or lack thereof. Our Audi forum vendor/sponsor explained this.

You can purchase the paint ex-USA.

Quick Reply: white metallic paint